Bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@phildo79 I was just being dry-humored about the 16oz beer being too much--should have indicated that. Technically, some may actually find that amount less than optimum.
The beer styles I make, though, one can be plenty. I'm all about quads, tripels and this old English ale of late and they all pack a substantial punch.

Lol great! It’s a fine line comes to mind Asda sounds the better option. An keep my liberty. Am still chuckling proper ticked me that. What exactly have you been brewing a lately
Cheers

Get into the habit of rinsing your bottles & spraying with Starsan after every beer you pour yourself, pop the cap back on, no cleaning whatsoever required on bottling day, I've done this for years. athumb..

My local Aldi had a few Das Helle beers in. It’s a resin swingtop brown bottle £1.99 for 500ml. Though not that cheap as it has been I found the beer ok not amazing ( seems to have a dry aftertaste to me).

Attachments

• 4A54E57B-251A-4230-A53E-CEA1F8BCE735.jpeg
    4A54E57B-251A-4230-A53E-CEA1F8BCE735.jpeg
    37.2 KB · Views: 99
Get into the habit of rinsing your bottles & spraying with Starsan after every beer you pour yourself, pop the cap back on, no cleaning whatsoever required on bottling day, I've done this for years. athumb..

Not been brewing long but this is what I do too (I also give them a quick rinse and resanitise on bottling day)

Also, I have used loads of different 2nd hand bottles (including Bulmers and Magners) from my local pubs and hotels and not had any issues with a decent quality hand capper.

This is the shape you want to go for, for ease of use with a hand capper.

This is the sort you want to avoid.

You want a decent length of collar below the lip. When they are close together, the hand capper can slip around on the neck. Don't believe me? Try capping a Corona bottle. You will quickly give up. Certain shapes of collars and necks just don't suit the black hand capper. I tried to get the Red Baron hand capper, that is popular in the States, but couldn't find it for a reasonable price in the UK.

This is the shape you want to go for, for ease of use with a hand capper.

This is the sort you want to avoid.

You want a decent length of collar below the lip. When they are close together, the hand capper can slip around on the neck. Don't believe me? Try capping a Corona bottle. You will quickly give up. Certain shapes of collars and necks just don't suit the black hand capper. I tried to get the Red Baron hand capper, that is popular in the States, but couldn't find it for a reasonable price in the UK.

I really like the bottle shape of the first bottle. For some reason I find it more 'traditional'. Banks' bitter comes in that shape bottle. It can be bought for 89p a bottle at ASDA.

https://groceries.asda.com/product/bottled-ale/bankss-bitter/910001448414

Move away from a hand capper to a bench capper.... I will never look back.

I have collected a large number of Shepherd Neame bottles, because they are the only 500ml bottles that were short enough to fit in the top shelf of my dishwasher, and because I do like 1698. About six months ago I managed to decapitate three of these in one bottling session, as a result of the shallow collar.

I have since upgraded to a better capper and worked out how to lower the top shelf of the dishwasher, so no further casualties, but it's still only 3 breakages out of nearly a thousand bottles filled.

Latest posts

Back