Burners or heating elements?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Callum aitkenhead

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

First of all I am new to this forum and all grain brewing, so look forward to discussions on here in the future.

I am looking at building up a 50l set up from Powell brewing over the next few months, so firstly what are people opinions of his equipment?

Secondally I am undecided about gas or electric.... what are the benefits of each?
If I go for electric what elements are people using in breweries of this size? And what can you run off a standard 13 amp supply?

Many thanks for looking

Callum.

Afternoon all,

First of all I am new to this forum and all grain brewing, so look forward to discussions on here in the future.

I am looking at building up a 50l set up from Powell brewing over the next few months, so firstly what are people opinions of his equipment?

Secondally I am undecided about gas or electric.... what are the benefits of each?
If I go for electric what elements are people using in breweries of this size? And what can you run off a standard 13 amp supply?

Many thanks for looking

Callum.
Hi Callum and welcome to the forum.Both set ups will have their pro's and cons though assuming you're going for a 50l set up you have been brewing previously.

I actually have both using a Burco cygnet 30l boiler on electric with a 3kw element which is the maximum for a 13a plugtop set up and a 32l pot which I use on a gas hob which I bought second hand for £15 and built it into a brew bench in my garage.

I've calibrated my burco so I know my set temps on the dial giving me control but I find the gas is quicker to boil and is easier to control with boil overseas.

To be honest I like both and have the advantage to switch if I was to run out of gas or the electric was to go out.

For reliability it would be electric with no fumes and brewing inside as most brewers using gas would boil outside which can be inhibiting due to weather constraints.

I'm sure you should have many other replies but it'll be tyour decision at the end of the day.Happy brewing which ever route you try.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Hi Gerryjo
Thank you very much for your response, very informative.
I have brewed from kits before but this is my first venture Into all grain, there is minimal price difference between 50l and 33l so I figured it would give me the option in future.

I was expecting everyone to tell me electric was more controllable so it's interesting that you find gas more controllable.

I was also thinking about programming a microcontroller to regulate temperature with the electric option.

I thinl it's what makes you comfortable brewing bit bear in mind that its cost that dictates a lot of what we do.

I enjoy tinkering and messing about with equipment but I'm quite sure if I was to total it all up I could have bought a grainfather by now but I'm quite happy with what I have and have got to know my equipment.

When it's kits v all grain cost is on all grain for what you can produce and it can be done on a minimalistic budget though when you start into equipment it can suck you in.

It's down to you and your budget which way you choose and there's loads of help and videos for setup out there.Sit back and do some more research before jumping in with such a setup before you decide and if you've already done that then the worlds your oyster but have plenty of cash at hand.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

It's swings and roundabouts. Gas is more controllable in that the minute you turn the flame up or down the heat applied changes. An electric element takes time to either heat up or cool down though. A gas hob will always be better for cooking on than an electric one for example.

That said, it's easier to add a thermostatic control to electric elements, and you can brew indoors so long as the steam has somewhere to go.

I brew with electric as I brew indoors, and it's just more convenient. I did try on my hob (33 litre pot) but couldn't get a decent rolling boil on anything over 15 litres.

That is something I hadn't thought about was the gas fumes as I will be brewing indoors (not much of a choice in Scotland...)

You're pretty much stuck with electric then, gas burners really aren't safe to use indoors.

Not the end of the world though, they still do a very good job. Plus you're less likely to run out of electricity half way through a brew... lol

Hi Gerryjo
Thank you very much for your response, very informative.
I have brewed from kits before but this is my first venture Into all grain, there is minimal price difference between 50l and 33l so I figured it would give me the option in future.

I was expecting everyone to tell me electric was more controllable so it's interesting that you find gas more controllable.

I was also thinking about programming a microcontroller to regulate temperature with the electric option.
I would certainly go for the 50l option with reduction of boil overs and plenty of headspace.
The micro controller also seems quite a good option as well.[emoji106]

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Welcome to the Forum. :thumb:

The reason I brew outside has nothing to do with the weather and everything to do with condensation!

With a standard one-hour "rolling boil", I can lose up to 7 litres from the wort.

Many years ago, I tried it once on the kitchen stove and SWMBO went mental at A) The smell. and B) The walls dripping with moisture.

A few years back I had a garage and as it was a cold day I did the boil in the garage with the door open. EVERY metal tool in the garage finished up with a coating of condensed water and as a result (i.e. not wanting rusty tools) I had to run a heater in there for nearly two days before everything dried out.

Nowadays, I boil my brews outside under a lean-to in the garden. It takes a bit of planning to make sure that it's not too windy because I use a propane/butane powered 7.5kW Paella Double Burner.

My advice is "Take your time, study what you want to achieve, get SWMBO onboard for both the money you intend to spend and where you are going to be brewing; and then go for it!" :thumb:

We have a huge extractor hood over our cooker, with a seriously massive extractor fan in it! It literally eats electric, but if I put my boiler in front of the cooker (it's too tall to stand on top), and open the kitchen window a bit, no damp walls. :thumb1: But yeah, never underestimate the condensation from boil off during a proper rolling boil.

Latest posts

Back