Digimash v brewzilla

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah thats what I will have to do. It looks like the brewzilla/digiboils are all 2°C out. Thanks all.
I had emailed kegland before posting in this thread to ask about the calibration of the Digiboil. They just got back to me this morning and the official answer as @Rodcx500z suspected is that the Digiboil cannot be calibrated.

Just posting here for completeness and future reference should the question appear again.

Hi @jayk34 and @Brew_DD2 I have a digiboil and doing BIAG brews very nicely. As my cloth bag is getting a bit knackered, I am considering upgrading by buying the malt pipe upgrade for this kit. The £75 cost is making me think hard about this. Do either of you use the malt pipe for BIAG brewing or have you gone more advanced and sparge as well? I currently put the full volume of water in the boiler and then squeeze the bag as best as possible to get all the liquid. I don't want to go down the sparging route yet due to a shortage of space and not having a second water heater. I quite like the thought of the grains having more room to mix with the water, and I may consider recirculating during the mash when I get a pump sorted. Any advice on how you go with your malt pipe would be great👍 cheers.

Hi @jayk34 and @Brew_DD2 I have a digiboil and doing BIAG brews very nicely. As my cloth bag is getting a bit knackered, I am considering upgrading by buying the malt pipe upgrade for this kit. The £75 cost is making me think hard about this. Do either of you use the malt pipe for BIAG brewing or have you gone more advanced and sparge as well? I currently put the full volume of water in the boiler and then squeeze the bag as best as possible to get all the liquid. I don't want to go down the sparging route yet due to a shortage of space and not having a second water heater. I quite like the thought of the grains having more room to mix with the water, and I may consider recirculating during the mash when I get a pump sorted. Any advice on how you go with your malt pipe would be great👍 cheers.

I sparge, but I don't worry about sparge temp.

I have the malt pipe and not sure what to think about it. The last 2 brews I have used a biab bag and hit my targets compared to with the make pipe. I need to investigate further.

Pros
  • Easy to lift out and lock in place to drain and sparge.
  • Fairly simple to clean.
Cons
  • The screen on the bottom does allow small bits of grain. This blocked my pump during recirculation.
  • Didn't like the large deadspace under the malt pipe as you have to put more mash water in making the mash to grain ratio a bit more than suggested. I don't know if this really makes a difference ?
  • The mash temperature seems a bit more erratic with the malt pipe and swings more than with a biab bag.

I have the malt pipe and not sure what to think about it. The last 2 brews I have used a biab bag and hit my targets compared to with the make pipe. I need to investigate further.

Pros
  • Easy to lift out and lock in place to drain and sparge.
  • Fairly simple to clean.
Cons
  • The screen on the bottom does allow small bits of grain. This blocked my pump during recirculation.
  • Didn't like the large deadspace under the malt pipe as you have to put more mash water in making the mash to grain ratio a bit more than suggested. I don't know if this really makes a difference ?
  • The mash temperature seems a bit more erratic with the malt pipe and swings more than with a biab bag.
Thx for the info. I may hold off buying the upgrade and buy a couple more bags! Cheers 🍻

Latest posts

Back