Elderflowers question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_S_Jerusalem

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hello, so couple questions bout elderflowers.

I got a recipe for 24 heads of fresh elderflower per gallon, does that sound about right?

Also, if I pick a load, can I freeze them and use them later with the same effects as fresh?

One more question,

Is the cat pee one any good for brewing or has it got to be the nice smelling one to get a good wine?

Normally I’d just buy a dried bag see, so this is all new to me lol. But I thought hey, it’s the season, why don’t I go pick a load fresh and try that way. Free isn’t it.

Thanks guys.

Also, if I pick a load, can I freeze them and use them later with the same effects as fresh?
Yes. Freeze them straight away and when you use them DON'T thaw them, have whatever they're for ready to go because they'll oxidise in minutes. If you want you can dry them. I do it in the greehnouse. I've got about 400g of just the dried flowers and 50 heads in a vac bag in the freezer.

Is the cat pee one any good for brewing or has it got to be the nice smelling one to get a good wine?
The ones that are really bad are REALLY bad, it's only those I avoid. I call the normal ones cat-pee ones. If you bring home a carrier bag of them and leave them in a room it'll smell like cat-pee even if they smelled great.

Yes. Freeze them straight away and when you use them DON'T thaw them, have whatever they're for ready to go because they'll oxidise in minutes. If you want you can dry them. I do it in the greehnouse. I've got about 400g of just the dried flowers and 50 heads in a vac bag in the freezer.

The ones that are really bad are REALLY bad, it's only those I avoid. I call the normal ones cat-pee ones. If you bring home a carrier bag of them and leave them in a room it'll smell like cat-pee even if they smelled great.
Excellent, thanks man. Oh I was thinking a gallon of elderflower wine, so they’ll be in a bucket for a week I guess.

I’ll chuck them in the freezer as soon as I can. Thanks man

Latest posts

Back