Got to love Kviek

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledGecko

Zythophile, innit mate
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brewed a own recipe NEIPA yesterday.
Checked in on it this morning and it's running like a beast.

It started fermenting around 6am today and is nearly at final gravity đź‘Ť
Screenshot_20210711-155714_Brewfather.jpg

Impressive!
Never fails to amaze me.

Attachments

• 20210711_092541.mp4
    31.8 MB
Has anyone used Kviek to ferment a beer kit and if so how did it turn out? Does it work better for pale or dark styles or is it ambivalent?

The temperature in the room where I normally brew doesn’t seem to be dropping below 23C since "summer" arrived, so without a brew fridge any fermentation is going to be hitting 25C or more. I'm wondering whether to embrace the heat and give Kviek a go.

Seems to be available from CROSSMYLOOF for ÂŁ3.95 for a 10g packet - is that the best deal?

Has anyone used Kviek to ferment a beer kit and if so how did it turn out? Does it work better for pale or dark styles or is it ambivalent?

The temperature in the room where I normally brew doesn’t seem to be dropping below 23C since "summer" arrived, so without a brew fridge any fermentation is going to be hitting 25C or more. I'm wondering whether to embrace the heat and give Kviek a go.

Seems to be available from CROSSMYLOOF for ÂŁ3.95 for a 10g packet - is that the best deal?
I used WHC Ubbe Kweik in a Festival Father Hook Best Bitter this is one of the more neutral Kweik fermented at about 28°C and proved very nice.

One thing I do find is that for some reason with lower gravity beers they seem to take a while to drop the last couple of points i.e. my current batch is fermenting with Omega Hot Head, dropped from 1.041 to 1.018 in about 18 hours but has taken another 7 days to drop to 1.010 going about .001 a day or so. I had a similar experience when fermenting the kit.

As for the CML one I believe this is Voss I’ve used it before (including the CML one) it’s not entirely neutral leaving a slight citrus flavour I find it works well in IPA’s but I should also add that I find it seems to work best at above 25°C as it seems to stall on me below that.

As I don’t have temperature control I find Kveik (alongside Saison and Weissbier yeasts) are extre useful for summer brewing.

I used WHC Ubbe Kweik in a Festival Father Hook Best Bitter this is one of the more neutral Kweik fermented at about 28°C and proved very nice.

One thing I do find is that for some reason with lower gravity beers they seem to take a while to drop the last couple of points i.e. my current batch is fermenting with Omega Hot Head, dropped from 1.041 to 1.018 in about 18 hours but has taken another 7 days to drop to 1.010 going about .001 a day or so. I had a similar experience when fermenting the kit.

As for the CML one I believe this is Voss I’ve used it before (including the CML one) it’s not entirely neutral leaving a slight citrus flavour I find it works well in IPA’s but I should also add that I find it seems to work best at above 25°C as it seems to stall on me below that.

As I don’t have temperature control I find Kveik (alongside Saison and Weissbier yeasts) are extre useful for summer brewing.

I've got a heatpad and Inkbird so with the warm room and heat from the fermentation itself I would hope that a steady temperature of at least 25C would be achievable.

I've used it with a few of the Wilko kits. Half a tea spoon of my yeast sludge from the fridge with 1.5 or 2 times the sugar recommended. Pitched at 40c. But I can only keep it to 36c.

It's quick and tasty with all the kits I've used so far. Even the stout one.

I've got a heatpad and Inkbird so with the warm room and heat from the fermentation itself I would hope that a steady temperature of at least 25C would be achievable.
For me at the moment it’s a bit like winter brewing two towels wrapped round my fermentor plus a heat pad keeping it at a steady 26°C at the moment. What I do love about it is how poorly you can treat it and still get good results, 30°C+ temperatures and the fermentor going at 36°C yet still get good drinkable beer.

I am a convert after my first 2 Kveik brews, I pitched at 38c and then wrapped the FV to keep in the temp and the ferment were done within 3/4 days and no weird tastes so well impressed up to now

Some more searching about Kveik leads me to ask whether anyone has had an issue with beer not bottle conditioning properly due to the very high flocculation not leaving enough yeast in the bottle? Or is this just theoretical speculation and not a real world problem when using Kveik?

Some more searching about Kveik leads me to ask whether anyone has had an issue with beer not bottle conditioning properly due to the very high flocculation not leaving enough yeast in the bottle? Or is this just theoretical speculation and not a real world problem when using Kveik?

I’ve made 4 batches with Kveik to date. I always keg a corny full and then bottle the rest. I’ve not had any issues with bottle conditioning.

No issues to date for me personally thankfully

Last edited:
Advice here

I've never had this problem, even with high flocculation strains. I think it depends on when you're bottling- if you want to leave the beer in a barrel for ages there might be an issue reviving the yeast.

I have tried a split batch kveik beer finishing one half with champagne yeast to see if it made a difference to carbonation- this is an approach that I know some commercial brewers use. It didn't change the quality of the carbonation much but it did to remove a lot of the flavour. In the end I've opted to just add the priming sugar and let the kveik get on with it.

Maybe the answer is to use a bit of kveik yeast mixed in with a priming sugar syrup if you have concerns.
It's pretty tenacious stuff after all when you consider the freezing, drying and heating it's subjected to.
Might be a very fast conditioner this way if you get the bottles warm enough.

Latest posts

Back