Help me use what I bought!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizzlyKolsch

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal:

I bought a rims tube, and 3kw element from Mr Lard. I also bought a brewpi, raspberry pi, two SSR's, and everything else needed to set up the brew pi. Originally, I wanted to use the brewpi for mashing with the RIMS. Unfortunately, brewpi has not yet been updated fully for mashing, and I am not sure how much longer it's going to take. It will happen shortly, but at this point it is just sitting around.

Now, I really want to use the rims system. As such, looks like I'm going to have to fork out and buy a PID. I'm getting a little frustrated, because I've been accumulating all these parts just to find out I need to buy more. So, I need your help. PLEASE!

I don't want to buy a auber pid from the states. Too expensive. The omega ones here look good, but they are also pricey. I was thinking about a cheap sestos one from Amazon. I've seen a few people here use them with luck, but I can't seem to find a wiring diagram for a newby like me. My questions are as follows:

1) does the sestos work, and does anyone have a basic wiring diagram? I will be switching 1 SSR, and the setup will have no fancy alarms / switches / timers.

2) where can I buy a cheap electrical box to house the unit? I'm guessing I will need to ground the pid wiring, so it would be nice to have a box with a ground lug.

3) anyone want to sell me a wired unit? Lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Griz

give me a week and i can knock up a basic pid + 1 x ssr+ external heatsink + xlr socket for a sensor in a box for you i have a spare sestos pid, pm me and make me an offer,

imho tho keep the pi for a web project and buy a arduno mega or uno and run the pid lib example sketch with the processing pid front end example sketch on a pc.. should take an evening to set up on a breadboard using
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DS18B20-T...839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ec046e57

Latest posts

Back