How do I go HERMS?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone Cold

Landlord.
Reaction score
I would like to upgrade to herms system can i have some help on the easiest way to go about this? does anyone have any pics as well of how their herms is set up?
Thanks

The easy way is always mined.

When you mean easy do you mean "off-the-shelf" HERMS kits? If so I don't think there are any available.

If you don't use them already maybe get the pump(s) first as they might not be something you're familiar with so getting used to them before changing everything might make it seem less scary?

For a better idea Phil's website remains good (I'll keep pointing people there until he tells me to stop lol) - http://www.philrobins.org.uk/myherms.php - check the "subpages" to the right for info on the components, and the HERMS theory at the top to brush up on any areas about which you might be unclear.

Otherwise have a look in the sub forum for HERMS and the brewery builds in there for inspiration:

Barnsley Brewer's
highwayman's

Hi SC
can i have some help on the easiest way to go about this
:?
Are you just adding a heat exchanger and pumps to your set up or doing a full revamp ?
As previous posts, there is lots of information out there, I advise doing a lot of research and then decide what you want to achieve, size, available space, heat source, cost, build quality, material type, time available, why you are doing it, do I need it or want it, etc, the list goes on........... ;)
You don't need a fancy complicated SHINY stainless set up to produce good beer. :) dare I say, :) just said it :shock: :lol:
There are loads of variations and different ideas to achieve a result, I am sure no-one has and answer for you, in a step by step guide :?
Do some reading, ask some questions, then plan, then ask questions, them re-plan, then start spending and building, use it and then re-plan, then start spending and building, it goes on :lol:
S

Springer said:
Hi SC
can i have some help on the easiest way to go about this
:?
Are you just adding a heat exchanger and pumps to your set up or doing a full revamp ?
As previous posts, there is lots of information out there, I advise doing a lot of research and then decide what you want to achieve, size, available space, heat source, cost, build quality, material type, time available, why you are doing it, do I need it or want it, etc, the list goes on........... ;)
You don't need a fancy complicated SHINY stainless set up to produce good beer. :) dare I say, :) just said it :shock: :lol:
There are loads of variations and different ideas to achieve a result, I am sure no-one has and answer for you, in a step by step guide :?
Do some reading, ask some questions, then plan, then ask questions, them re-plan, then start spending and building, use it and then re-plan, then start spending and building, it goes on :lol:
S
What he said, :thumb: the main thing to ask is why HERMS, there won't be a radical flavour difference. It will just be more repeatable. & if your going to the trouble of HERMS you need to ensure your fermentation is very accurately temp controlled or the HERMS will be a waste of time.

Read read read, plenty of info out there, if you want any panels wiring etc I can help you out.

UP

I am in agreement with Shane and Springer

Before you ask yourself the question "How do I go HERMS?" ask yourself the more important one

Why do I want to go HERMS?

I have a HERMS System, and in mine the HERMS is an independent unit that I can use as and when I want . . . for 80% of my beers I don't use it . . . I stick with plain old single temperature infusion mashing . . with a 10 minute recirc using my pump at the end of the mash. I use the HERMS to achieve specific results in those beers which would benefit from a temp stepped mash.

I also have temperature controlled fermentation, so that my beer ferment at the temperature range I want them to. . . . and that for me is the most important side.

I have been using a 50 ltr hlt and 50 ltr tun and either one pump (which runs to fast) or big jugs.
I now have a 3rd pot as the copper and an extra burner to heat it.
I would like to go herms because why not. Iv had a good look at all the replies :thumb: thanks all , and I think what im going to do is something like vossy has done with his herms and aleman's way of controling flow with a byepass loop but out of soft pipe not copper

I agree with most of what's been said above, but there is another aspect that's been missed.

You can go HERMS just because you want to :P It doesn't have to be for a good reason :whistle: , though for me it'd still have to make great beer :lol: .
You may simply want to experiment...like I did. If there's a tinkerer hiding away inside you :twisted: then there's no better pacification method than a HERMS :lol:...he'll never finish the build and will keep you entertained...possibly forever....well it seems like that for me :roll:

Keep the questions coming sc :thumb:

Stand by your bed SC.
I've just about finished building my cheepo plastic version.

Looking foward to it EV :cool:

I concur with all that's been said. :thumb:
I am building one to proove I can do it, and to experiment with step mashing.
I've been brewing for nearly 30 years and have produced some outstand beers without the aid of a "HERMS"
Go for it SC, do your own thing :D

I wasn't trying to put you off buy the way, just ensuring you are doing it for the right reason, there is no radical difference in quality, well not enough to justify the extra expense, but a big HERMS is also a great Penis extension too :thumb: as is My RIMS.

Just make sure you control your Fermentation Temps in the FV in the same way or HERMS will be a waste of money.

If you want to use the balance valve route with your pump you will probably be better using a buffer vessel on the outlet side and then hard feeding pipework to the inlet side with a gate valve rather than a ball valve, as in AM's set up, a gate valve is a lot more controllable you really can get them supplying a tiny tiny trickle with no extra loading on the pump, and a buffer chamber helps even more.

Just ensure you only ever restrict the delivery side of a pump and not the suction otherwise it will cost you a fortune in shaft seals Impellers and stub shafts.

UP

Well thats brought out lot of options. :D
I have done three brews, this week in my small, gravity set up, but longing to have a go on the full kit, "cos I want to" :D As V said, I have been tinkering with it since last used. ;)
Wished I was using it on Tuesday when I had brain failure and ended up with a mash at less than 60 degrees, added water and got to a wet 62, finally added steam :shock: to get it to a respectable 66, HE at full chat would have made it all a lot easier ;) If its a good one l'll never be able to repeat it :lol:
Although if I been thinking it would not have been necessary :oops:

thanks for the advice and input everyone.
I understand totally that herms is not really needed to make good beer as we are already pumping out some good beers without herms however I like the idea of having more control over what is happening during the mash. over the last couple of days while brewing I think I have told myself not to attempt it right now because there is loads of other stuff i could and should be tinkering with, and thats what its all about isnt it 'tinkering' without the tinkering it wouldn't be much of a hobby and more of a chore to get beer. one day I will probably wake up and decide to make herms but for the time being im just gonna get the basics working right and get everything bolted together. the tinkering will not rest,. I finally have heaters for fermenting so I will be checking up on them this-morning to see how they are getting on, I also stuck another mash on before finishing up and left it to mash over night, have many of you tried that?

Ollie

Back