Is Electricity Cost An Issue Per Batch?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked my tariff yesterday, currently paying 18.5p per kw/h so looking at less than £2 per brew. That’s less than a packet of S04. I was going to try no-boil for economy reasons now I need another excuse (until 1st April at least).

I recently ordered a 25kg bag of Crisp German Pilsner from the South Cheshire Malt Group Buy and it was £22.39. It probably your supplier that's raised the prices that much and not Crisp.

https://southcheshire.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=75_68&product_id=112
Samale's example does seem a big increase, but what would your cooperative's price have been for same bag two years ago.
I keep all my invoices and I think a bag of pale was around £22 while I'm now paying £27.
Edit:
Buying in bulk should always be cheaper than otherwise, but the price has still crept up.
GEB Nov 2020 I paid £24.75 for Crisp pale, today it costs £26.19
Same malt at MM in Aug 2020 was £23.33 ex vat, today it's £30.21 ex vat.
HBC Minch Pale, March 2020 £21.95, today it's £27.
Continental malts are hit even harder at MM, I haven't got records for the other suppliers, but that may be a consequence of Brexit.

Prices are rising and it's not going to slow down any time soon.

Last edited:
Samale's example does seem a big increase, but what would your cooperative's price have been for same bag two years ago.
I keep all my invoices and I think a bag of pale was around £22 while I'm now paying £27.
I’ve only just got onto it so I’m not sure about past prices. Next yeah it will probably be much worse. Fertiliser is more than double last years price and with a massive portion of the worlds wheat made in Ukraine, I imagine most cereal crop will increase in price over the next harvest.

It is surprising tricky to find the actual unit price for the cap (everything seems to focus on the average yearly price but 52p/KwH now.

Will it stop me from brewing unlikely although when I worked out the energy usage for a batch I am probably looking at 5KwH so £2.60 for the batch so it certainly will be a line item when I‘m costing out my batches but this not so bad that I would consider giving up brewing.

Every beer we make ourselves is a saving over shop bought beer which will only go up in price as breweries pass on their own costs ... We'll pay more per brew but we still making a decent saving (depending on how much shiny stuff we've bought)

I’m with octopus energy and just fixed with electric at 69p per kWh. The brewing, the fermentation fridge and the keezer will remain off this winter. Along with the heating unless the stat falls below 10c indoors. Hard times. I hope the energy companies enjoy their record breaking profits this winter.

Short answer is, I used to consider the electricity cost negligible, but the way the prices are going, you can't say that now. But as noted, compared to ingredients costs (which are also increasing in tandem), perhaps not a deal-breaker.

But speaking as someone whose two principal pastimes are quite heavy uses of electrcitiy (brewing and bread production), the current CoL crisi is bad news for me. As it is for everyone, of course.

Commercial brewers and commercial bread makers are actually more exposed to energy price raises than we are (there is no price cap for energy for businesses). The price of bread and beer will go up more than our energy costs will, so homebrewering and home breadmaking will still be far cheaper than buying it in the shops - just think of each pound coin only being worth 90p but the cost of electricity/beer/bread staying the same. You'd still continue your hobby

I was in Dubai with work 2 weeks before the original lock down and my wife said bring me back something gold. The toilet rolls in the hotel where a gold colour so I brought her back a couple of those as they where far more valuable than actual gold. 🤣

I’m with octopus energy and just fixed with electric at 69p per kWh.
Wow. That's around $1.30 NZD per unit.
I'm paying 22 cents per kWh.

So my last month's power bill ($293) would be $1300 at those rates.

Guess there's some advantages to having large hydro generation...

Latest posts

Back