June 2023 Comp: Dark Beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This month we are on Dark Beers: Porters and Stouts are the obvious contenders but open to Black IPAs, Schwarzbiers, Dubbels and anything else that veers towards the dark side.

Judging likely to be 8th July or thereabouts.

DM for address if needed.

Another bump. Just 2 or 3 enquiries received so far and 1 only actual beer has arrived. Judging scheduled for the 8th/9th but could push back a week if that helps.

I'm happy to provide feedback on any beers sent but at the moment we are not looking like we will be quorate for a meaningful comp.

The results are in.

First of all thanks to everyone who entered. We had a very varied mix of beers which made judging tricky - smoked beers, Impy stouts, Porters, Chocolate Stouts, Scottish ales... Comparing between each one was not an easy task.

The overall standard was very high but one beer stood out for both judges as being just a notch above the field.

In reverse order, the medallists were:

3rd. @Caramel Ox with a very good, very drinkable Rebel Porter. Kudos for the excellent label too.

2nd. @Broken Toe for a very well made Rauchbier. Smoky but balanced with a very clean fermentation profile. I have a Bamberg trip planned for next year and this whetted my appetite enormously.

1st. @RichardM for his "Four Pounds in Today's Money" Scottish Export Ale. Not the darkest of the competition entries but it scored highly for the mix of malty complexity and lovely fruity esters. A very well balanced beer that was a joy to drink. Chapeau!

The winner was 2 points ahead of the field on my score card but you could almost throw a blanket over the rest. A tightly fought comp.

As an aside, we judged 2 commercial ringers for comparison: Guinness Original and Black Sheep Milk Stout. They both came in the bottom third of the scores!

Latest posts

Back