Mash n' Ferment!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpitdarn

Regular.
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has mashed and then without removing grains, immediately fermented? An experiment I think I'd like to try... any reason why I shouldn't?

Sorry I didn't put that across properly... I meant to ferment on the grains and then remove to grains after fermenting is done. The brew would be like fermenting on a huge crud.

Hmmmm didn't think about the boil how about taking the grains out for the boil and then to put them back in for the ferment? Sorry if all this sounds stupid but I do like looking at things from different angles. Experimenting.

Hmmmm didn't think about the boil how about taking the grains out for the boil and then to put them back in for the ferment? Sorry if all this sounds stupid but I do like looking at things from different angles. Experimenting.

What would putting the grains back in acheive, other than more work?

Nothing wrong with experimentation. If noone experimented we'd still be drinking beer without hops in it

You'd then be sterilising the wort from the mash, and recontaminating it with the bacteria filled grains you added back in. Also, you'll be adding back lots of undesirable things that normally get precipitated out in the hot and cold break.

I think you may get the cheesy smell taste come into play is it Lactobillus? some of the more scientific members will know what I am referring to and corrrect as to the proper name I would also think you probably would get astringency but by all means do say a small batch 1 gall etc and report back the results. No venture no gain

I value the comments very much! but hey... I'm gonna have a go. Like the Baron says, " do say a small batch 1 gall etc and report back the results. No venture no gain" and you can all say "I told you so" :laugh8:athumb..:D

I think you may get the cheesy smell taste come into play is it Lactobillus? some of the more scientific members will know what I am referring to and corrrect as to the proper name I would also think you probably would get astringency but by all means do say a small batch 1 gall etc and report back the results. No venture no gain
Isovaleric acid, IIRC from Lactobacillus consuming sugars in the presence of oxygen. The OPs mash should be hot enough to at least pasteurise everything, so any contamination should be reduced as long as fermentation takes off.

As you say, I'd expect some astringency and husky, grain flavours. Probably, some phenolic notes and a slight Yoghurt tang.

You'd then be sterilising the wort from the mash, and recontaminating it with the bacteria filled grains you added back in.

What about mashing, removing the grain for the boil and then putting the grain into the hot wort when the boil is finished, to sterilise it and then try to chill down quickly?

Either way, if it was a good idea, I'm sure we'd all be doing it already :laugh8:. But why not try, hey.

This idea has made me laugh dementedly. I love doing stuff for the sake of it but what is the final goal here? At the end would you bottle the porridge or strain away the booze? A porridge bottle bomb would be a pure delight. I've had gushers from getting bits of hop in a bottle - grains and husks, wow, what they could get up to I don't know.

Latest posts

Back