May Brew Review Thread - Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@samale has made the excellent suggestion to widen the Bitter swap to include all English ale styles. Would that be of interest @Broken Toe @Oneflewover, or anyone else sitting on the fence about taking part? It’s quite likely that you’ll get mostly bottles of Bitter back in return.

Secondly, I’ve created an anonymous google form here to collect view on what to do next year. We can run a poll based on a narrower range of styles once the responses are back. Please take a moment to fill it in, it’ll make the next lot of swaps more relevant to more people.

I'd be much more inclined to get involved if it was all English styles, but isn't that deviating quite a bit from the purpose of the swaps? Please don't make any changes on my account 🙂

We’ll go English this time round. One of the survey questions is wide vs narrow style selection. Once enough people have responded we’ll have a plan. (I voted narrow).
Yeah I think @Oneflewover made a good point about having a specific beer we are all brewing. In order to be able to make like for like comparisons the beers have to be…well, like for like. 🤷‍♂️

Golden Ale it is then 😉

Just re-read the original premise and I agree that the whole idea is to see how your own beer fits in that style whilst comparing it with others..

I think it’s natural that there will be a different number of participants each time depending on the style..

Just to add my tuppence worth I think going broad range British styles takes away the original premise of the reason behind the swaps? Also runs the risk of chipping into the forum monthly competitions if its too broad range? Keep it simple and narrow. I'm up for a Golden Ale.

Ok, the masses have spoken. Golden ale swap it is. And last time I looked, all the survey respondents wanted a narrow style choice each time.
Ill give it a day to let everyone get a chance to answer and then share the results.

This was my pretty simple Saison recipe for those interested, not sure if the cardamom pods did anything.

This was for 18/19 litres

5kg pilsner
300g wheat

2 hour mash at 65, brought to boil, 30 min boil...

10g first gold & 10g brewers gold @30.

40g styrian goldings & 2 cardamom pods & 200g sugar @5 .

Cooled to 25c and pitched belle saison! OG 1061.

This was my pretty simple Saison recipe for those interested, not sure if the cardamom pods did anything.

This was for 18/19 litres

5kg pilsner
300g wheat

2 hour mash at 65, brought to boil, 30 min boil...

10g first gold & 10g brewers gold @30.

40g styrian goldings & 2 cardamom pods & 200g sugar @5 .

Cooled to 25c and pitched belle saison! OG 1061.
Simple is best I reckon in general. Surprised it was belle saison, you must have fermented it quite cool? I have to say that I didn't pick up the cardamom. I did get the late hopping but thought it might be something American 😳. Nice beer.

Simple is best I reckon in general. Surprised it was belle saison, you must have fermented it quite cool? I have to say that I didn't pick up the cardamom. I did get the late hopping but thought it might be something American 😳. Nice beer.
I love it when you have a simple recipe, but out yields a top notch product. Sometimes that's a better accomplishment than a complex recipe

Here's my recipe:
2kg pale (I think it was MO)
1.6kg lager / pilsner
1kg wheat
0.5kg rye
0.4kg dextrose

Mashed at 62 deg C for 1 hr

15g magnum @60
10g olicana @10
10g olicana @5
15g coriander seeds @5
50g olicana 80 degree C hopstand

Fermented with MJ m29 French saison (I still think wy3711 is the best saison yeast). Pitched at 21 rising to 25 by around half a degree a day. Very vigorous fermentation.

Was shooting for 23L at 1.060ish, but I ended up with 27L at around 1.055 - no idea what occurred there! Finished around 1.002 so with the priming sugar ended up circa 7% ABV.

Carbonation target was for 2.7 volumes. Had a mare at bottling, disturbed the yeast and carried too much over into bottles.

Olicana.....meh. I've used citra and motueka as the flavour / aroma hop previously, both of which were better. I aim to brew a Nelson sauvin version next time.

Here's my recipe:
2kg pale (I think it was MO)
1.6kg lager / pilsner
1kg wheat
0.5kg rye
0.4kg dextrose

Mashed at 62 deg C for 1 hr

15g magnum @60
10g olicana @10
10g olicana @5
15g coriander seeds @5
50g olicana 80 degree C hopstand

Fermented with MJ m29 French saison (I still think wy3711 is the best saison yeast). Pitched at 21 rising to 25 by around half a degree a day. Very vigorous fermentation.

Was shooting for 23L at 1.060ish, but I ended up with 27L at around 1.055 - no idea what occurred there! Finished around 1.002 so with the priming sugar ended up circa 7% ABV.

Carbonation target was for 2.7 volumes. Had a mare at bottling, disturbed the yeast and carried too much over into bottles.

Olicana.....meh. I've used citra and motueka as the flavour / aroma hop previously, both of which were better. I aim to brew a Nelson sauvin version next time.
I plan to drop the Vienna malt and try rye instead. I have did this previously

Back