Secret Santa Reviews 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seasons greetings one and all.

I know of one beer that’s still en route, hopefully every one else has got two. Post a photo and a review of your beers below. The thread will stay open until all the beers have been reviewed. Then, I‘ll post the usual round up of who sent to who and what beers were swapped. If you are unlucky enough to get a problem beer, send me a PM rather than post in the open forum and I’ll pass on the bad news to your Santa.

Happy drinking and I hope you all have a very merry Christmas 🎅

I have to admit I drank all three of mine the other night for a change to my usual fare and how interesting and diverse they all were, one thing I have omitted to do was picture them in the glass but all three poured beautiful with a nice head and a bright clear demeanor.

The labels fell off the Festive fruit and Patersbier so I had to guess which was which not having tried a Patersbier before.

I had the 4.7 % Pattersbier first and it had a distinctive quirky taste I can't put my finger on and reminded me of a cross between a fruit beer and a sour, really interesting though and a great beer.

Next was the 5.3% fruit beer, this really reminds me of a stunning sour that Hazelwood sent me to try years ago again a beautiful beer and very different to what I typically brew.

Last up was the 8.7% Belgian Red which had a beautiful Amber color and distinctive toffee/treacle notes which belied how strong it was Antilles I got about half way down the glass and it started catching up with me 🤣
But it remained pleasant all the way to the bottom and I rarely go for stronger beers these days, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Thank you Santa's and I hope you all enjoy yours and have a wonderful break during the holidays 🙏❤️

1703437948269.png

Attachments

• 20231222_192727.jpg
    20231222_192727.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I had my first one earlier today, this beer really F*cked with my taste buds, upon scent it was stoney fruit and malty, it was well bodied with a head that lasted throughout. This is where it f*cked with my taste buds, first flavour reminded me of a hop I've used before possible Endeavour or something similar, I kept supping then suddenly out of nowhere I got flavours and scents of fruity bubblegum, this then got me questioning either the hop or if it was a special bubblegum favoured yeast or if it was my glass (made me paranoid) anyway a really good tipple I thoroughly enjoyed and would be proud of if I brewed, thank you very kuchen, will be drinking my other tomorrow

Attachments

• 20231224_120626.jpg
    20231224_120626.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 0
I have to admit I drank all three of mine the other night for a change to my usual fare and how interesting and diverse they all were, one thing I have omitted to do was picture them in the glass but all three poured beautiful with a nice head and a bright clear demeanor.

The labels fell off the Festive fruit and Patersbier so I had to guess which was which not having tried a Patersbier before.

I had the 4.7 % Pattersbier first and it had a distinctive quirky taste I can't put my finger on and reminded me of a cross between a fruit beer and a sour, really interesting though and a great beer.

Next was the 5.3% fruit beer, this really reminds me of a stunning sour that Hazelwood sent me to try years ago again a beautiful beer and very different to what I typically brew.

Last up was the 8.7% Belgian Red which had a beautiful Amber color and distinctive toffee/treacle notes which belied how strong it was Antilles I got about half way down the glass and it started catching up with me 🤣
But it remained pleasant all the way to the bottom and I rarely go for stronger beers these days, so it was a pleasant surprise.

Thank you Santa's and I hope you all enjoy yours and have a wonderful break during the holidays 🙏❤️
I had the same 3 beers as you, had 2 of the 3 so far:

IMG_6740.jpeg

First up was the Patersbier. Right up my street, easy drinking with a lovely bubblegum-like Belgian character. Head was small, but what was there remained all the way down the glass and created some nice lacing. Really enjoyed this one.

IMG_6742.jpeg
Second up was the festive fruit beer, which I’m pretty sure was cranberry - it had that sharp tartness that I would associate with cranberry. I’m guessing this was a pale ale or wheat beer with cranberries in secondary?

@Griff097 & @MickDundee they were both my beers. The fruit beer was Cranberry, it started off as a Saison (which it’s lost) and then Cranberries in the secondary. My wife loves it as a Shandy 😀
So the Patersbier was only kegged a couple of weeks ago so that would account for lack of head, pleased it turned out alright after so little time, at least it was fresh. Glad you both enjoyed them

Had my one this evening, Santa's Citra Pale Ale. Nice hiss on opening, plenty carbonation, definitely bottle conditioned. Nice, bright amber, very slight haze but something I'd definitely be pleased with. Fresh citrus on the nose. Not too bitter finishing slightly sweet. Ever so slight maltyness with some floral characteristics. Overall a very nice beer...thank you Secret Santa!
1000021241.jpg

17035026712115151509899373082371.jpg

Going in strong with my first of the day a 7% saison! Quite a lively pour, but carbonation perfect for the style. Getting a lot of lemon and saison esters which is lovely, tastes quite different to aroma oddly, but in a good way, a well balanced nicely bittered refreshing beer. Lovely golden colour too! Merry Christmas!

View attachment 93815

Going in strong with my first of the day a 7% saison! Quite a lively pour, but carbonation perfect for the style. Getting a lot of lemon and saison esters which is lovely, tastes quite different to aroma oddly, but in a good way, a well balanced nicely bittered refreshing beer. Lovely golden colour too! Merry Christmas!
Start as you mean to go on Eh 🤔🤣

Trying the first of mine: a Golden Ale (5.24%) "Where's the Frankincense and Myrrh? - Made with British Hops"

A discreet hiss on opening and carbonation is just right.
Quite bitter, an unusual flavour that I can't quite place and you can tell there's quite a bit of alcohol.
Many thanks for sharing Santa!

IMG_9367.jpeg

Trying my first. A 4.8% bitter Halbard.

1000056667.jpg

Deep chestnut colour and good clarity.

Fruity esters on the nose, perhaps a bit of caramel.

Onto the taste, more caramel, bit of biscuit, some dark fruits.

Soft carbonation perfect for the style.

Overall a classic best bitter. A really well brewed beer, thank you Santy.

Moving on to my second (what the heck, it's Christmas and I'm thirsty...)

This is a Chocolate Milk Stout (6.0%) 40 IBU

Mmmmm - this is an absolute belter!
Totally delivers on flavour: true chocolate, with just enough smoke to remind you this is a stout. Perfect balance of bitterness and sweetness.
Carbonation is perfect; and the body is just right too: coats your tongue like black velvet.

Wish I'd brewed this one myself :beer1:athumb..

tempImageHuftTC.jpg

My 2nd beer, winter spiced heavy

As can be seen in picture the beer had a good head which laced the glass to the end, its a well made beer with plenty of body, I got coca cola scents from the smell and in the initial taste which then got more complex with cloves and hint of cinnamon. Carbonated perfectly and a good tipple, from personal preference maybe bit less spice but another person might disagree.
Bonus bottle (sorry forgot to take a picture) I had a little of the cider and appreciated the effort gone in but I'm not much of a cider drinker so was lost on me however my father in law just so happens to drink nothing but dry cider and loved it said it was a really well made cider so hats off to you sir/ madam, he's very honest too so would definitely take that as compliment.

Thank you to both my secret Santa's thoroughly enjoyed my beers/ cider and look forward to reading more reviews.

Merry Christmas

Attachments

• 20231225_144410.jpg
    20231225_144410.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 93856 Here is my first secret Santa ,a Golden ale, it opened with a nice pssst and poured with a lovely head and a nice level of carbonation
The taste is slightly sweet to start ,with slight orange notes, and low bitterness on the finish ,a cracking ale that i really enjoyed , thank you
This is mine, I originally planned to do a fruit beer then realised it wouldn't be ready in time so made a last minute golden ale, thank you for kind comments not my best but something to work on, also made a typo on the label which was too late when noticed lol.

20231225_204155.jpg

After a brief panic when I couldn't open the bottle, had a proper sweat on trying like hell for 15 mins or so.

Thinnish head on the pour, not much of an aroma that I could detect but just getting over a cold. Taste is very easy drinking, some stone fruit, I like the malty roasty flavours. perfectly carbed. Thanks again Santa!

Latest posts

Back