New Fermenter Fridge - Currys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're tight for space in your fridge and want an airlock these one from Young's are much more compact Brewing Equipment - Fermentation - Cylindrical Airlock - The Malt Miller | The Malt Miller
IMG_20200718_164832857.jpg

I bought two of the CUL55W19 models and they just fit - the airlock just fits in. I had two types of Fermentation plastc buckets and the taller thinner ones are two big but the shorter fatter ones just squeeze in luckily.
I have the same, which works really well.

Only issue I had was a poor seal after a few weeks of use.
I had used too much brute force and ignorance (I have plenty of both) in tightening the hinges after reversing the door, not allowing enough wiggle room for it to cope with temperature change. Screws were eased off, and problem solved.

I have the same, which works really well.

Only issue I had was a poor seal after a few weeks of use.
I had used too much brute force and ignorance (I have plenty of both) in tightening the hinges after reversing the door, not allowing enough wiggle room for it to cope with temperature change. Screws were eased off, and problem solved.
.... nice one! My door is stiff for the last inch of close, I bet that's it

Great post @chopps ! Sorry for digging up an old post but was thinking of buying one of these as can't get my hands on a 2nd hand fridge at the moment. Do you reckon a 19L corny keg would fit in this fridge? I can't quite make out the measuring tape in your photos but think it could sit ok on the bottom of the fridge and have room to close the door but not sure how far the compressor humps sticks out seems to be roughly 7inches/18cm leaving around 22cms?

Also do you know if it's possible to remove the light holder or is it moulded in?

Great post @chopps ! Sorry for digging up an old post but was thinking of buying one of these as can't get my hands on a 2nd hand fridge at the moment. Do you reckon a 19L corny keg would fit in this fridge? I can't quite make out the measuring tape in your photos but think it could sit ok on the bottom of the fridge and have room to close the door but not sure how far the compressor humps sticks out seems to be roughly 7inches/18cm leaving around 22cms?

Also do you know if it's possible to remove the light holder or is it moulded in?

Hi dleary
I have a CUL55W19 and have two 19 ltr corney kegs in it....although it is a bit of a squeeze. One fits easy but to fit a second I had to turn the lamp assembly round 180 degrees. The light housing is screwed on so can be removed but wanted to have the option of turning it back to a fridge. I use an inkbird to control temp with the probe and the line for my external gas bottle run in through the drain hole (I had to drill the hole a bit bigger)...I’ll try and post a pic later dependant on my modern technology skills 👍

Hi dleary
I have a CUL55W19 and have two 19 ltr corney kegs in it....although it is a bit of a squeeze. One fits easy but to fit a second I had to turn the lamp assembly round 180 degrees. The light housing is screwed on so can be removed but wanted to have the option of turning it back to a fridge. I use an inkbird to control temp with the probe and the line for my external gas bottle run in through the drain hole (I had to drill the hole a bit bigger)...I’ll try and post a pic later dependant on my modern technology skills 👍
ABE9E2B6-78A9-4303-ADAD-DC8EE0758B95.jpeg17B5F15C-68BB-4AED-8FA6-1E452EA1177F.jpeg763E8CC9-0DE5-4D7F-ACFA-4E4FFE9C372C.jpeg

Here’s some pics ....I’m so down with the kids 😁
The kegs are new style and size and forgot to say... I had to take the lamp cover off to fit

Here’s some pics ....I’m so down with the kids 😁
The kegs are new style and size and forgot to say... I had to take the lamp cover off to fit
Brilliant that fridge will suit me perfectly as I plan to use it for fermenting and then keep kegs cool when not fermenting. I think I've the same style corny kegs so should be good to go.

Thanks for reply and posting photos I'm off to buy a fridge now!

Simple answer re corny - nope. Unless you want to hacksaw some bits of fridge off.

Attachments

• 15A1464C-B8F1-4BF9-BF0F-7E3F986CF2D3.jpeg
    15A1464C-B8F1-4BF9-BF0F-7E3F986CF2D3.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 310C142E-BE78-47B2-B400-D233A09521D8.jpeg
    310C142E-BE78-47B2-B400-D233A09521D8.jpeg
    21.5 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Simple answer re corny - nope. Unless you want to hacksaw some bits of fridge off.

Thanks @chopps for trying that. I think the fridge model @pdh3137 has is slightly wider and deeper, so if I went with that model I should be ok I reckon due to the extra width and depth:

CUL55W19 845 x 553 x 584 mm (H x W x D) Storage volume 130 litres
CUL50W20 83.9 x 49.4 x 49.4 cm (H x W x D) Storage Volume 102 litres

I bought two of the CUL55W19 models and they just fit - the airlock just fits in. I had two types of Fermentation plastc buckets and the taller thinner ones are two big but the shorter fatter ones just squeeze in luckily.
@The Cat & @pdh3137 - if you have a moment, could one of you possible post the internal dimensions of your fridge?

I have the smaller 50cm one, same as the OP, that I use for fermentation.

I'm having issues with a second hand fridge I picked up on eBay so buying a new CUL55 from Curry's isn't totally out of the question.

From the external dimensions on their website it's not just wider but also deeper so I'm wondering if I'd squeeze 2 or even 3 kegs in (21cm dia, but mine are only 12L kegs so height is less of an issue).

Cheers,

Matt

@The Cat & @pdh3137 - if you have a moment, could one of you possible post the internal dimensions of your fridge?

I'm having issues with a second hand fridge I picked up on eBay so buying a new CUL55 from Curry's isn't totally out of the question.

From the external dimensions on their website it's not just wider but also deeper so I'm wondering if I'd squeeze 2 or even 3 kegs in (21cm dia, but mine are only 12L kegs so height is less of an issue).

Cheers,

Matt

Hi Matt sure I'll post it by this evening

Hi Matt sure I'll post it by this evening

Cheers,

Matt
Hi Matt
Approx internal measurements are
Height 710mm
Width 450mm
Depth 430mm front to back (280mm from front to compressor hump)
Height of compressor Hump 220mm
Let me know if you need anything else (although I’m hoping The Cat will confirm my measuring skills) 😁

Hi Matt
Approx internal measurements are
Height 710mm
Width 450mm
Depth 430mm front to back (280mm from front to compressor hump)
Height of compressor Hump 220mm
Let me know if you need anything else (although I’m hoping The Cat will confirm my measuring skills) 😁
Thanks mate, much appreciated 👍

Hi All,

I had such a pain over the last week or two trying to get a second hand fridge to use as a fermentation chamber (not a fridge freezer) from Gumtree, Ebay, Shpock etc.
I'm currently using the fridge part of a fridge-freezer, but we need the freezer bit back in use too now...

They all either cost almost as much as new, or are suddenly not for sale once I bid for them. I gave up in the end, lost my patience and went to Currys. Bought the cheapest fridge they had at £109
Problem is, it's not that big and all of my fermenting bins over 20 litres either didn't fit or I had to really force them in and bodge the airlock somehow.

I couldn't find anywhere that shows internal dimensions for the fridges so I thought I'd leave this post here in case anyone else is looking for a fridge/bucket combo in the near future.
I would have found this post useful last week, so somebody else might now.

The new fridge is Currys own 'essentials' brand, model CUL50W20. ESSENTIALS CUL50W20 Undercounter Fridge - White
External dimensions 83.9 x 49.4 x 49.4 cm (H x W x D)

Here it is - I have made a sandwich with 2 of the shelves and my belt heater sits between them. Works fine like this.
Cables for heater and thermoprobe routed are through the overflow pipe quite easily, so no drilling required.

View attachment 31306

There's the usual internal compressor hump at the bottom and also a little lip on that, so the usable hight to stand a bucket on is 50cm including airlock (or 48cm incl airlock if you've done like me with the shelves)
If your bucket is taller than 37cm (without airlock) , the interior light restricts the width at that point to 36.5cm.
If your bucket is less than 37cm tall (without airlock), the light doesn't interfere and usable width is 38cm.
From the back interior wall of the fridge to the front edge is 40cm.

View attachment 31307

View attachment 31309

View attachment 31310

I found some 27 Litre airtight buckets with lids here Pails round ER 27-375+D | AUER Packaging
They have the PP5 and Food Grade knife and fork symbols moulded on the base, so should be fine.
I ordered two and it worked out at £11.37 each incl. delivery from Germany to UK (!)
I'd removed the door pockets anyway, and the door closes fine with about 15mm space behind the bucket - so it's not touching the back interior wall.
As you can see, loads of room for the airlock above - I'm really happy I'm not stuck with 20 litre brews!

View attachment 31311

Hope someone finds this useful.

Cheers
Yo! I have this exact fridge, and it fits the Brew2Bottle standard 25L fermentation bin with an airlock almost perfectly. If you use a blow off tube then plenty of room...

https://brew2bottle.co.uk/collections/25ltr-fermenter-bundles

Back