Oxidation issues or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oxidation issues or not?

• Oxidation issues

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • Looks fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ChIpStIcK

Reaction score
Hi,

Bought the beer below from my local craft beer shop. To me it smelt good but I don't think it tasted right. Hard to say if my judgement was clouded but I've chucked it. I emailed them but they are of the view it looks like that and it's fine.

What do you think?

I'd note it's marketed as a Belgian Pale ale.

IMG_20200613_191721.jpg
IMG_20200613_193743.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200613_191721.jpg
    IMG_20200613_191721.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 154
Hi,

Bought the beer below from my local craft beer shop. To me it smelt good but I don't think it tasted right. Hard to say if my judgement was clouded but I've chucked it. I emailed them but they are of the view it looks like that and it's fine.

What do you think?

I'd note it's marketed as a Belgian Pale ale.

View attachment 27596View attachment 27598

I’d contact the brewery and ask them.

If they come back saying ‘that’s how it’s meant to be’, then maybe they have packaging issues which need to be addressed, or perhaps you just don’t like their product. If on the other hand they reply saying ‘no that’s awful - who sold you that?!’, your craft beer shop may be more inclined to refund you.

If the craft beer store is at fault, I imagine the brewery would also be grateful for letting them know the condition in which their beers are being sold.

I’d contact the brewery and ask them.

If they come back saying ‘that’s how it’s meant to be’, then maybe they have packaging issues which need to be addressed, or perhaps you just don’t like their product. If on the other hand they reply saying ‘no that’s awful - who sold you that?!’, your craft beer shop may be more inclined to refund you.

If the craft beer store is at fault, I imagine the brewery would also be grateful for letting them know the condition in which their beers are being sold.

OP says he contacted them already. Had a quick look on Untappd and you're not the only one commenting on the odd colour. No mention of adjuncts either. Weird.

OP says he contacted them already. Had a quick look on Untappd and you're not the only one commenting on the odd colour. No mention of adjuncts either. Weird.
I interpreted OP’s post to mean he emailed the craft beer shop, but I agree emailing the brewery would make more sense!

If the brewery think it’s normal I’d probably give them a miss next time round and move on to pastures new. Life’s too short to drink **** beer!

Last edited:
I've never seen an oxidised beer before, but that's not what Belgian pale ale is supposed to look like!

Ah! I had this very same beer just last weekend and it looked exactly as it appears in you photograph. It was really odd because I thought the beer smelled good, tasted a but meh but was an odd colour. One thing I did feel was that it in no way tasted like a belgian pale - a style I'm a big fan of.

In terms of whether it was oxidised, I'm not sure. To me it didn't taste or smell oxidised. Also, if I recall the grist of this beer is very simple (MO and wheat) with moderate hopping. I've seen neipa's go purple etc but not a beer like this one (but maybe it can happen, I could say for sure). I also wasnt getting the sweetness I usually associate with oxidation. My feeling was that it could have been down to some contamination - I felt like the flavor had been stripped from it a bit and was quite thin - or possibly even the yeast strain used. I've heard be-256 can be bad for leaving very little in the beer and leaving an unattractive haze.

Either way it's a shame cause I really wanted to like this brewery. The guy behind it is a homebrewer from Glasgow who recently went commercial. The export stout they released was brilliant, their Scottish 60 was pretty good too but the smoked porter was a bit naff as was their pilsner (which tasted like a mediocre homebrew).

I hope whatever it was is something that's happened in the bottle after it's left the brewery and he didnt knowingly let it go out the door like this. I also hope he manages to turn it around.

Latest posts

Back