Pilsner malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purewhitesnow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Any recommendations on what I can brew with pilsner malt? Purchased some thinking I would have a go at brewing a pilsner but then realised I need to be able to control brewing temp much colder than for ales and I don't have the equipment to be able to do this. If there are any recipes for a style of ale I can brew at room temp using pilsner malt I would be grateful of any advice?
Next question, I am doing BIAB using a 17L stockpot so hoping to end up with 10-12L beer. Most AG recipes ive seen seem to be for brewing double this volume so was wondering do I need to half the mash and boil timings or do these stay the same?

If you are looking to brew something fairly pale at room temps, then just in case the weather gets a bit hot I would recommend using a fairly neutral yeast like Safale SO4 (very widely obtainable) so that you don't end up with something that tastes like a bubble-gum fruit cocktail athumb..

I have no temp control, but I've bought some pilsner malt recently. I was intending to attempt a kolsch and a Cali Common. And as others have said, you could just use it as a base malt anyway.

Pilsner and Vienna. Did the trick for me in AIPA.

Just remember if using Pilsner it will be slightly lighter than other pale malts like Maris It.

Hi guys,

Any recommendations on what I can brew with pilsner malt? Purchased some thinking I would have a go at brewing a pilsner but then realised I need to be able to control brewing temp much colder than for ales and I don't have the equipment to be able to do this. If there are any recipes for a style of ale I can brew at room temp using pilsner malt I would be grateful of any advice?
Next question, I am doing BIAB using a 17L stockpot so hoping to end up with 10-12L beer. Most AG recipes ive seen seem to be for brewing double this volume so was wondering do I need to half the mash and boil timings or do these stay the same?
You can brew anything that you would otherwise use Pale Ae Malt for. If you've got a recipe that uses Maris Otter Extra Light, say, just use Pilsner. Id you want a bit of colour add some Munich or a splash of Amber or a soupçon of Brown or Chocolate or even un nuage of Black. If your recipe is relatively complicated with, say, crystal and other malts, just substitute it for Pale Ale Malt.

18 to 22 C
If you can keep it close to 18C W34/70 will give you good results.
IMG_20210709_095815.jpg

You can brew anything that you would otherwise use Pale Ae Malt for. If you've got a recipe that uses Maris Otter Extra Light, say, just use Pilsner. Id you want a bit of colour add some Munich or a splash of Amber or a soupçon of Brown or Chocolate or even un nuage of Black. If your recipe is relatively complicated with, say, crystal and other malts, just substitute it for Pale Ale Malt.
Amazing thanks for your advice. If I were to use say 2.5kg pilsner malt and I wanted to add a splash of Amber and crystal, what quantities should I use to add a little extra depth of flavour but without it being overpowering?
(BIAB method, 15L strike water)

Amazing thanks for your advice. If I were to use say 2.5kg pilsner malt and I wanted to add a splash of Amber and crystal, what quantities should I use to add a little extra depth of flavour but without it being overpowering?
(BIAB method, 15L strike water)
What do you want to make?
For a bitter, I'd say 10% each, max.

Latest posts

Back