Saison recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think i am going to have a go at a saison, i have just ordered 225g of sorachi ace and saison yeast from cml, grains i have are lager malt, 500g of vienna, 200g of munich, 100g of carapils, and 200g of special w, will this make a saison
That will make a Saison:cool:

I've no idea if it will make a good one, but if you read the guidelines for a Saison, pretty much anything goes so long as it's not hop forward or too malty.

The spicy yeast, dryness, and high carbonation seem to be the defining factors, with a bit if fruitiness a possible welcome addition. That's why I'm looking at using rye malt for extra bite, maybe peppercorns or coriander, and a decent lemony or spicy hop kick.

I'd replace the Vienna with pilsner, and use it somewhere else. You don't need it here. Similarly I wouldn't bother with the carapils. I use some sugar, 5-10% to dry it out. Wheat and rye 👍. Mash quite low, I use 64 degrees C. Aim for OG to get to get to 6-7,% abv, remembering that you're gonna get a low FG with belle saison. Hops.... depends what you want. Bitter to around 20ibus, personally I'd be using EKG or Styrian later in the boil, but I do like citra as a (very) late addition
So you reckon pilsner, wheat and rye. Rely on the wheat for body.

My 2021 Saison wasn't as good as the 2020 batch. The differences are I used Saaz and Styrian Goldings in the 2020 as opposed to Saaz and Mittelfruh for 2021. Styrian seems to fit better than Mittelfruh. Also the addition of sugar lightened the body in 2020 making it really dangerously drinkable, whereas the most recent batch had fuller rounder mouthfeel. I'm leaning toward the sugar addition of 2020, though it did induce some seriously afflicting bad heads on the day after that I didn't get this year. Maybe golden syrup or honey is the answer?

So you reckon pilsner, wheat and rye. Rely on the wheat for body.

My 2021 Saison wasn't as good as the 2020 batch. The differences are I used Saaz and Styrian Goldings in the 2020 as opposed to Saaz and Mittelfruh for 2021. Styrian seems to fit better than Mittelfruh. Also the addition of sugar lightened the body in 2020 making it really dangerously drinkable, whereas the most recent batch had fuller rounder mouthfeel. I'm leaning toward the sugar addition of 2020, though it did induce some seriously afflicting bad heads on the day after that I didn't get this year. Maybe golden syrup or honey is the answer?
No, it is the ABV that gives you very bad heads. Not speaking from experience here of course ashock1 :beer1:

Tomorrow sees the bottling of the most recent 25L Saison, which is the first of the Year:

Pale (MO) 4.5kg
Wheat malt 250g
Special B 250g
Honey 200g - this is some real honey from the bees on Lingley Mere. This really does eclipse the sugar diluted stuff and hope it goes OK in the end product.

Admiral 12g @ FW
Bobek 30 @ 2mins

Safale BE-134 Belgian Saison

No, it is the ABV that gives you very bad heads. Not speaking from experience here of course ashock1 :beer1:
From personal experience I can say that I got a bad heads after a couple of last year's Saison at 6.5%, yet I have not had a bad head at all from this year's 7% ABV batch, even after several jars. Leads me to believe ABV can't be the whole story.

Tomorrow sees the bottling of the most recent 25L Saison, which is the first of the Year:

Pale (MO) 4.5kg
Wheat malt 250g
Special B 250g
Honey 200g - this is some real honey from the bees on Lingley Mere. This really does eclipse the sugar diluted stuff and hope it goes OK in the end product.

Admiral 12g @ FW
Bobek 30 @ 2mins

I like this. A straightforward recipe with very fitting malt and hops. IIRC I used Admiral for bittering last year.

Pale (MO) 4.5kg
Wheat malt 250g
Special B 250g

Admiral 12g @ FW
Bobek 30 @ 2mins

I've never knowingly drunk a saison in my life, but that looks a lovely recipe.

I've been reluctant to try making a saison as I've got it in my head from somewhere that saison yeasts contain S. Diastaticus, which is something I really don't want hanging around my brewing area. When I look at the yeast descriptions, though, I don't see any mention of this. Have I got this wrong somewhere?

Last edited:
I've never knowingly drunk a saison in my life, but that looks a lovely recipe.

I've been reluctant to try making a saison as I've got it in my head from somewhere that saison yeasts contain S. Diastaticus, which is something I really don't want hanging around my brewing area. When I look at the yeast descriptions, though, I don't see any mention of this. Have I got this wrong somewhere?
The Lallemand Belle Saison yeast is definitely a diastaticus strain. I haven't checked any others.

How does this look,also going to give it a 100g dry hop
rafraîchissant
Saison

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.726
Total Hops (g): 100.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.059 (°P): 14.5
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.80 %
Colour (SRM): 7.6 (EBC): 15.0
Bitterness (IBU): 25.3 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
5.000 kg Pilsner (87.32%)
0.500 kg Vienna (8.73%)
0.200 kg Munich I (3.49%)
0.026 kg Black Malt (0.45%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Sorachi Pellet (11.8% Alpha) @ 30 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
20.0 g Sorachi Pellet (11.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
60.0 g Sorachi Pellet (11.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil) (2.9 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
15.0 g Coriander Seed @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 30°C with WLP565 - Belgian Saison I

Digging up this thread again because, it's SAISON time!

My previous keg of Saison kicked a couple of weeks back and life feels incomplete without a Saison on the go. Thanks to @Benfleet Brewery I have a little sampler lined up for sometime soon. But moving on, I want to make the most of this fortuitous set of circumstances:
  • An empty keg
  • A bag of rye malt in stock
  • A jar of slurry of complex sugar's public enemy no. 1 in the fridge - Belle Saison yeast
  • A choice of leftovers of Bramling Cross, EKG, Styrian Goldings, Saaz, Fuggles, and a little Citra languishing in the freezer
For base malt I'm thinking 1/3 Vienna, 1/3 Pilsner, 1/6 Rye, 1/3 Wheat, maybe a little carapils thrown in for head.

@samale, @Pennine, @Hazelwood Brewery, @Clint, @MickDundee, @Oneflewover I would really value your input.

I have even considered a rhubarb saison, but the draw of a spicy herby saison with either coriander, thyme or rosemary gets my taste buds tickling right now.
Recipes for Saison! can be quite flexible but in general you’re looking for something that’s light in colour, a little fruity, a little spicy, maybe a touch of sour, and for it to be well carbonated.

I like to use something closer to a Pilsner grist so would probably go to around 70%-80% Pilsner, 5%-10% acidulated malt, and the rest could be Vienna/Munich. A little Rye would accentuate the spicy flavours so that might be a good addition (not done this myself though). Spices are good but be subtle or they might dominate and spoil your enjoyment. Fruity hops suit although I quite like noble hops. A sulphate rich water profile suits too. I’d aim for around 25-30 IBUs and maybe 6% strength. Belle Saison is my favourite saison yeast and fermenting warm will help bring out those yeast derived saison flavours.

I'm a bit late joining this thread because I've been away for a couple of weeks . . . . . Anyway here is a really simple recipe for a Saison that I made last year that turned out really well (IMHO):

Planned volume: 21l
Actual final volume: 22.5l

Malts
Lager malt: 3.8kg
Vienna malt: 870g
Wheat malt: 460g
Mash temp 67 degC

Hops
Magnum: 7.0g (60 min)
Vic Secret: 15.0g (20 min)
Vic Secret: 20.0g (0 min)
Calculated IBUs: ~35

Yeast: Belle Saison (in a 1l starter)
OG: 1.054 (would have been a bit higher if I had not gone over volume)
FG: 1.003
Calculated ABV: 6.7%
Fermentation temp: ~20 degC

NB - It took a total of 30 days to ferment out. It would undoubtedly have gone quicker at a higher temperature, but I didn't want it to be too estery. I tried the first bottle after a couple of weeks, but although clear, it wasn't ready. It really came good after a further 4 or 5 weeks.
I used the Vic Secret hops only because I had some left over from a previous brew, but I would be happy to use something like Galaxy or Citra or even Cascade when I make it again.

Latest posts

Back