Secret Santa Reviews 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alastair70

In need of constant supervision
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seasons greetings everyone 🎄

Postal strikes have affected the swap this year unfortunately, but hopefully everyone is in possession of at least one beer at this point in time. I can confirm that all beers have been sent, and in the case of breakages, replacements are on the way from the original Santas.

Post a photo and a review of your beers below. The thread will stay open until all the beers have been reviewed. Then, I‘ll post the usual round up of who sent to who and what beers were swapped. If you are unlucky enough to get a problem beer, send me a PM rather than post in the open forum and I’ll pass on the bad news.

Happy drinking and I hope you all have a very merry Christmas.

So, with the Christmas cake cooking in the oven - time to crack open my first Secret Santa.
This one is described as a Best Bitter, 4.9% ABV, Maris otter, flaked barley, crystal, wheat and roast barley. Hopped with fuggles.
Nice hiss on opening, poured to give a clear pint with a decent head that never quite disappeared to the bottom of the glass. Lightly carbonated, much like a cask ale. Not as bitter as I make myself but much like a pub best bitter. Not much hop aroma. But hop flavour improved as I drank.
Altogether a decent pub bitter which I guess is what the brewer was aiming for.
Cheers!
IMG_20221224_141747.jpg

So, with the Christmas cake cooking in the oven - time to crack open my first Secret Santa.
This one is described as a Best Bitter, 4.9% ABV, Maris otter, flaked barley, crystal, wheat and roast barley. Hopped with fuggles.
Nice hiss on opening, poured to give a clear pint with a decent head that never quite disappeared to the bottom of the glass. Lightly carbonated, much like a cask ale. Not as bitter as I make myself but much like a pub best bitter. Not much hop aroma. But hop flavour improved as I drank.
Altogether a decent pub bitter which I guess is what the brewer was aiming for.
Cheers!
View attachment 79739

Sounds and looks a lovely pint!

I got stuck into these last night to make so.e room in the fridge and I am so glad I did ;)

Beer 1, a canned (very posh) Light smooth 5.2%
It opened with a nice hiss, poured with a lively head which remained all the way to the end of the glass.
Smelled nice and fruity, beautifully bright and clear in the glass and nicely carbonated a lovely fresh hint of lemon and teally easy drinker, it didn't last long and wished I had a tray full of them, superb, thank you Santa and I would love the recipe as even the Mrs liked it which is unusual!

Beer 2 (a bonus second beer from the phantom canner) Dark and strong 7.7%

A nice head once poured, nicely carbonated a thick treacley nose and tasted as the label said, strong and robust malty flavour, which belied the strength and caught up with you shortly after :)

Quality beers, well brewed and very contrasting styles, thank you, I really enjoyed them 👍

Beer 3, Leffe Blonde 7.2%

Another stunning example of home brewed Beer, nice hiss on opening, poured with a nice head and carbonation, nice fresh, bright taste, with that unique Leffe flavor.

This one didn't last long either, bloody lovely, thank you so much for a beautiful beer 👍

I feel very grateful to have received my Christmas beers in good time, been busy myself and only recently opened them.
I notice that the parcels I sent out only one seems to have been received directly, the other one with a neighbor so I hope it gets passed on as I haven't seen the picture.

Thank you Alistair for organizing this, it must be a proper headache this year, but it's a nice change sampling other people's beer and I am truly grateful for that 🙏

Attachments

• 20221223_181639.jpg
    20221223_181639.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221223_182926.jpg
    20221223_182926.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221223_185212.jpg
    20221223_185212.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 0
Merry Christmas everyone!
I couldn't wait any longer and have just cracked open my first SS beer: Rebel IPA hopped with Chinook, Willamette, Motueka, Simcoe and Amarillo.

I had high hopes for this one with the impressive hop bill and it didn't disappoint. It has a good level of carbonation (Santa warned that it needed a gentle pour!) but that adds a nice bite that complements the hop bitterness. Great fruity, bitterness - with a real depth of flavour from the different hops. It's a lovely pint and a perfect American style IPA. Thanks Santa!

IMG_20221224_165018072.jpg

All together now: "it's the most wonderful time... of the year!"
Nothing to do with all that Christmas nonsense; I am of course talking about the Secret Santa beer swap :onechug:

Time to get this party started

First up: a lovely looking DIPA 8.5% - I'm loving its festive red crown cap (darn... why didn't I think of that)
Popped the top and hardly a pfft - then I realised it's because it was filled almost to the brim.
Then POW I got great big fruity punch in the nose with a pineapple ... then I had a swig and Oooooer, it's not a pineapple after all, it's a grapefruit!

MMMMMmmmmmm - I'm liking this very much. But I'd never guess 8.5% blimey this is dangerous!!

Skilled brewer at work here - I really want to know who it is (I have a few suspects in mind...). Very thank you, whoever you are :-)

Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 17.04.21.png
Screenshot 2022-12-24 at 17.11.37.png

My second Secret Santa - a 9% Belgian Quad. Having it with a slice of my new-made Christmas cake and a bit of cheddar.
I've never had a Quad before so I've no idea if this is 'true to style'. It's very dark, big fizzy head to start with which died down quite quickly to a thin layer but never went completely.
Can't think of anything else to say. A bit too strong for me and I couldn't detect any of those Belgian yeast flavours I expected, but perhaps this is normal.
Enjoyed it very much. Went with the fruit parkin and cheese very nicely. Many thanks to Santa.

IMG_20221224_185552.jpg

My second Secret Santa beer: an Extra Strong Bitter.

Another great beer. Perfect bitterness with a nice malty chewiness and good mouthfeel. It's a substantial beer but there's no high alcohol harshness. A very enjoyable beer - I drank it far too quickly. Thanks Santa!

IMG_20221224_181824198.jpg

Merry Christmas everyone.Here is my first SS beer I have been really looking forward to this marked as 6.2% ABV only !
Well this has got me completely confused It’s malty and fruity with a red hue and a white head it’s got such a familiar flavour but for the life of me I haven’t got a clue as to what it is! Maybe plums or cherries ???
All I can say is it’s a great drink with good carbonation and it hides its alcohol really well. I could get into serious trouble with this one it’s so moorish. Thanks Santa well done!

Attachments

• 4D831C40-09CC-4709-9622-59869B35E849.jpeg
    4D831C40-09CC-4709-9622-59869B35E849.jpeg
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
First SS brew tonight. American Brown 5.2%. Opened with a nice hiss and poured with a nice head. Nice malty aroma. My first brown ale for a long time, very nice. I really enjoyed this with a nice mince pie👍 thanks very much for sharing this beer. One I'd happily drink again. Cheers Santa🍻🍻

Attachments

• IMG_20221224_202841_590.jpg
    IMG_20221224_202841_590.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
First Secret Santa beer this evening was a can of “Light & Smooth” pale lager.

I cracked the can and it made a good noise and it poured crystal clear with a decent head.

I had this nice and cold, and the carbonation was excellent. It was a really nice lager: very smooth and very neutral tasting (I mean this as high praise- I know how difficult it is to get that in a beer). It hid it’s strength (5.2%) very well.

The acid test is always “would I buy another?”; this went down a treat and I could have happily sunk a gallon!

Thank you to the sender for a thoroughly enjoyable drink, I’d hazard a guess that there was considerable effort and expertise put into brewing this.

I will be saving the dark and strong ale you also kindly sent for another evening so that I can enjoy it with a slice of Christmas cake or a mince pie.

Happy Christmas.

Attachments

• 125343A0-E810-4074-B016-2DC23E548495.jpeg
    125343A0-E810-4074-B016-2DC23E548495.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 0
On a roll tonight. Opened my second SS brew...a Honey Broon - dark brown ale made with honey malt. I was quite curious about this one as I've not brewed with honey malt yet. A very gentle hiss on opening the bottle, pouring with a small head. The aroma to me was sweat, reflecting the honey malt. First taste was also sweet, definitely reflecting the malt. This was a completely different brew to my first SS, having a nice sweetness which I've never brewed before. I found this an easy drink to have. Another lovely pint👍 I love this swap as it gives a chance to try something I may never think of having. Two brown ales in one night which were completely different and very nice in their own way is perfect. I've a bonus SS to have tomorrow eve. Lucky me!! Have a great Xmas all tomorrow and enjoy your beers🥳🥳

Attachments

• IMG_20221224_201828_293.jpg
    IMG_20221224_201828_293.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 0
On a roll tonight. Opened my second SS brew...a Honey Broon - dark brown ale made with honey malt. I was quite curious about this one as I've not brewed with honey malt yet. A very gentle hiss on opening the bottle, pouring with a small head. The aroma to me was sweat, reflecting the honey malt. First taste was also sweet, definitely reflecting the malt. This was a completely different brew to my first SS, having a nice sweetness which I've never brewed before. I found this an easy drink to have. Another lovely pint👍 I love this swap as it gives a chance to try something I may never think of having. Two brown ales in one night which were completely different and very nice in their own way is perfect. I've a bonus SS to have tomorrow eve. Lucky me!! Have a great Xmas all tomorrow and enjoy your beers🥳🥳

Ooof, a honey brown! When the mystery santa reveals themselves could they share the recipe please!

Clear, dark chestnut hues with a small head lasting all the way to the end of the glass.
Citrus & spicy hop notes on the nose,
Followed by a bit of toasty goodness.
Not too bitter when tasted, quite crisp on the finish. Malt comes through, balanced well with the hops. Definitely picking up on some dark caramel.
Very nice.
Thank you santa

IMG-20221220-WA0004.jpg

Clear, dark chestnut hues with a small head lasting all the way to the end of the glass.
Citrus & spicy hop notes on the nose,
Followed by a bit of toasty goodness.
Not too bitter when tasted, quite crisp on the finish. Malt comes through, balanced well with the hops. Definitely picking up on some dark caramel.
Very nice.
Thank you santa

View attachment 79795
What was the style/name of the beer?

So I have a chocolate stout here. Something I never tried before.
You can smell the chocolate straight off the bat. Pours beautifully with a nice head. Perfect carbonation as well.
You can really taste the chocolate. Nice and bitter and really compliments the stout.
Very nice.
Thanks very much santa.

Attachments

• 20221224_182737.jpg
    20221224_182737.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
So I have a chocolate stout here. Something I never tried before.
You can smell the chocolate straight off the bat. Pours beautifully with a nice head. Perfect carbonation as well.
You can really taste the chocolate. Nice and bitter and really compliments the stout.
Very nice.
Thanks very much santa.
This sounds lovely. Would be interested to see the recipe once SS reviles themselves 👍

Latest posts

Back