The all rounders are no more

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is it impossible to clean? I've been using 3 Hop and Grape 7-gallon fermenters for about 15 to 20 years. The only reason I've replaced them is because the lids are in tatters.
I've also got 2 SS fermenters and the beer from one is no better or worse than the beer from the other.
I don't know about PET fermenters as I've never had one, but I've never seen a use by date on any kind of fermenter.
I've replaced the 3 with three new plastic fermenters, by the way.
Edit:
Just read this: makebeereasy.com/pressure-fermentation/
I thought I might have a go just in the interest of science, and I still might as I like a pint of lager (and lime). But I tend to work with the seasons and make all my lagers in the winter for drinking in the summer, which means I might have half a dozen on the go at a time. Could be a bit pricy. I like the idea of bottling carbed beer straight from the fermenter, but I really don't think the costs and the faff give sufficient benefits. I'll stick to my home-made Yorkshire squares (only joking) I think.
I'm not sure I want my lager (and lime) to taste like the commercial stuff either. I can buy that cheaply enough by the slab in Tesco.
Lots of good points in there fella. Well done.

Have a TCP taint from a pet fermenter, the second its happened to. Reckon it must be VWP related as chances of two infections taking hold seems improbable. I've cleaned and cleaned, washing up liquid, oxi, campdened. But cannot get chlorine out of the walls, leave water in there for a few hours. And I've got a swimming pool. Anticipating another tank to be chucked as a result. So that's a concern, polarity of PET and chlorine means it's stuck and i can't break it free. With stainless its not permeable so preferable. Thinking I'll pick up a 23l keg and ferment 19-20l batches in there.

Have a TCP taint from a pet fermenter, the second its happened to. Reckon it must be VWP related as chances of two infections taking hold seems improbable. I've cleaned and cleaned, washing up liquid, oxi, campdened. But cannot get chlorine out of the walls, leave water in there for a few hours. And I've got a swimming pool. Anticipating another tank to be chucked as a result. So that's a concern, polarity of PET and chlorine means it's stuck and i can't break it free. With stainless its not permeable so preferable. Thinking I'll pick up a 23l keg and ferment 19-20l batches in there.
In my opinion no chlorine based product should ever be allowed near brewing gear. There are plenty of good cleaners that do not use it, but the polyphenol risk with anything chlorine based is just too great.

@DaleMC
Try warm water and activated charcoal with it assembled and then disassemble the valvé / base parts and soak them separately.
Might sort out the chlorine issue.
Then reclean all with PBW and sanitise with starsan.
Might rescue your kit.

Sodium metabisulphite is what is used to remove chlorine (usually residue from bleaching) in the textile industry. IIRC around 1.3mg for every 1.0mg Chlorine. How much campden did you use? Probably needs more or repeat treatment.

How do people clean the floating dip tube. Inside the actual tube itself, mine is discoloured and has some bits of yeast on the inside

I just used to soak it in oxi and then run hot water through it. Got myself a bucket blaster just before Christmas and I can't recommend it enough for cleaning fermenters & kegs.
I will try soaking it at a high temp. I made the mistake of not cleaning it straight after using it 😕

Latest posts

Back