The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid we are surrounded by numpties and lots of agendaist mind control nonsense. I've heard various theories about corona and how it came into being. It just gets hard to wade through the **** I do try and wade through it all but sometimes facts are so encased in shiit its hard to see them sometimes.

e.g....

I saw a VW 2.0 TDI with an Extinction Rebellion Sticker on the back of it. Given Dieselgate how could the present or possibly previous owner of that car be driving around like that? - My best theory is its an attempt at irony? Or similar to repurposing the christian fish logo putting legs on it and the words DARWIN on its body.

I'm afraid `true British spirit' boils down to `whinging Poms'. My Facebook feed is absolutely full of this s**t now. And now this thread which has to date been my main source of info on the pandemic. Guess I'll have to find somewhere else.

I've got a PB of Brown Ale, 20L of a juicy IPA bottled and ready to sup, two dozen bottles of Coopers stout and loads of shop bought beer in the shed if anyone fancies a pint and a game of darts.

I suspect the incubation period for this is longer than suspected in some cases....

My recovery is slow but steady. Feel weak and sleeping longer than usual, but don't care as the lung issues haven't returned.

50% of people who get infected show symptoms within 5.1 days, 97.5% show symptoms within 11.5 days based on cases between 4 January and 24 February.

Glad to hear you're on the mend, look after yourselves.

BBC News just now:

"PM says govt needs to massively increase testing." and "PM: Testing is the key to unlock the puzzle of coronavirus."

Has anyone explained to Boris who is responsible for seeing that both of these statements are fulfilled? aheadbutt

If you don't laugh you have to cry! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I've got a PB of Brown Ale, 20L of a juicy IPA bottled and ready to sup, two dozen bottles of Coopers stout and loads of shop bought beer in the shed if anyone fancies a pint and a game of darts.
Hahaha. That's the one advantage of having had it, you have some immunity. Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she recovers quickly. Is there anything you found helped you like paracetamol, etc?

one for @Chippy_Tea Cumbrian Copper says, 'go and play round your own end' :laugh8:

A Lake District police chief has expressed concern that isolation fatigue could be settling in for the public as the number of car journeys continues to rise.
Cumbria police last week declared the Lake District “closed” after there was a large increase in visitors despite the government warning against all but essential travel.

Cumbria Police
@Cumbriapolice

Thinking of coming to the #Lakedistrict? Don't it is CLOSED
🚫
By getting in your car & travelling to what you think may be a quiet, secluded area of the Lake District, can & will result in large gatherings of people. http://orlo.uk/jJMjt #StayHomeSaveLives #Covid19UK
View image on Twitter
2:00 PM - Mar 29, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

40 people are talking about this

Now 10 days into the formal lockdown, Andy Slattery, the assistant chief constable who is leading the region’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, said he was concerned that “boredom and frustration” was setting in and people were getting back into their cars. Figures released by the government on Wednesday showed a recent rise in vehicle use across the UK.
He said the number of visitors to the Lake District had dropped but that police were still having to tell day-trippers to go home:
Our officers have spoken to people who are still coming into the area. We’ve stopped and spoken to day-trippers from the north-east and the north-west thinking it’s still okay to come up to the Lake District for the day – it isn’t.
People should exercise locally; they shouldn’t get into their car to go on day trips to the Lake District because that is against the government guidance.
He added:
It is of concern. The bit that concerns me is that people took the prime minister’s advice very seriously as soon as it was issued – I’m worried that the boredom and frustration factor comes into this.
I’m worried that people had decided to stay at home but now a week, 10 days in may bethinking they’ll just get in the car and go here or there.
Slattery said his force had only issued a “very small number” of fines – all for people who were “out without reasonable excuse and refused to return home” – and that enforcement was a “last resort”.
Updated at 12.02pm BST

Faceb

Some good news if its correct

The study here
https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/im...urope-estimates-and-NPI-impact-30-03-2020.pdfI have not looked at it in detail yet but my 1st thought from what I have seen so far is there lowest estimates of the numbers infected are about what I would think is about correct for the median estimate not the lowest but they have much better data than me and alot more knowledge.

I'm afraid `true British spirit' boils down to `whinging Poms'. My Facebook feed is absolutely full of this s**t now. And now this thread which has to date been my main source of info on the pandemic. Guess I'll have to find somewhere else.

Again I have moved all the political discussion to the other thread please use that one for all views on how the government are handling this, this thread is for everything else.

I have also changed the title to - Your views on how the Tories have handled Coronavirus.

Last edited:
Hahaha. That's the one advantage of having had it, you have some immunity. Sorry to hear about your wife and hope she recovers quickly. Is there anything you found helped you like paracetamol, etc?

Thanks. I took paracetamol but it was still an horrible fever. I'm certainly no expert but I think it's the 'second' stage when the lungs are affected which cause the vast number of fatalities and hospital admissions.
Of course paracetamol is no use with regard to the pneumonia/whatever it is.
I'd guess that prevention (distancing, isolation etc) be better than any type of cure to be honest, seeing as how there is no cure apart from a bodies own defence reinforced with a ventilator. I saw something a day or two ago saying that only 20% of patients recover even with a ventilator. I found that distressing to say the least.
Pre-pre prevention is probably a good idea, stop smoking, limit the booze, eat healthy, sleep well and whatnot, but of course that's just my opinion.

And of course, I don't actually know I had it. I'm 99% sure due to the breathing complications, but without a test, who knows.

Pre-pre prevention is probably a good idea, stop smoking, limit the booze, eat healthy, sleep well and whatnot, but of course that's just my opinion.

It's interesting that smokers, at least temporarily haven't been advised to stop smoking. Even though this is a virus whereby the lungs are attacked

A pub that was holding a "lock-in" for regular drinkers has been shut down under new coronavirus legislation.

The licensee was serving drinks at The Blue Bell, in Nottinghamshire, unbeknownst to its owners, police said.

Nottinghamshire Police officers were called to weekend reports that drinks were being served and, along with Ashfield District Council, shut it.

All stock and alcohol has also now been removed from the premises, in Mansfield Road, Sutton-in-Ashfield.

Following the government's social distancing measure announcement on 20 March, all pubs were told to close.

Ch Supt Rob Griffin said this "sends a very clear message" that "police and our partners will not tolerate those people who deliberately break the rules and put other people's lives in danger".

Councillor Helen-Ann Smith, from Ashfield District Council, said the bar manager was "irresponsible" and "drinking with even one friend goes against the government's guidelines".

"It beggars belief why this group of people thought it was acceptable to have a private party when the majority of residents were staying home to help save lives," she said.

Lee Anderson, MP for Ashfield, reported the lock-in to the police after it was brought to his attention.

He said: "At a time when the vast majority of residents are obeying government advice we have a small majority who think the rules do not apply to them."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-52128883

I don't think any of these measures will affect the eventual infection but may help ultimate death toll. Obviously the need for them I do not dispute but we can't hide forever, optimistic nige.

Latest posts

Back