Using two cheaper kits to make one batch of 40 pints

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve just been looking at the YouTube channel ‘Making Home Brew Wild and Cheap’ and theres a couple of videos where he uses two Geordie kits to make one batch of 40 pints.
Has anyone ever tried this before, and if so, what was the outcome?

I think I recall the issue will be that the bitterness will be to high , two can kits are balanced whilst each single can is designed to provide the full flavour profile. I might be wrong 😃

Bitterness can be a problem, but if you choose kits with lower bitterness then you can overcome this. I've used Coopers stout with Coopers dark ale and a kilo of brown sugar to make a strong stout before and it was great.

Is using two single cans making an over bitter a brewing myth. These cans are never highly bitter so it won’t be a problem. I used to do it years ago and never an issue.

Is using two single cans making an over bitter a brewing myth. These cans are never highly bitter so it won’t be a problem. I used to do it years ago and never an issue.
I don't think its a myth CC but I think you are right that most standard cheap kits which is what will be used in a 2 can brew are not overly bitter and if you like a strong bitter ale it may be to your taste apart from that as suggested choose 2 lightly hopped styles.
I would rather add DME and pimp it with some appropriate hops myself

The one can IPA kit in Wilko could realistically be doubled up. Even with DME, sugar, a hop stand and a dry hop in addition, it's still the minimum ABV and bitterness I've made up to now. Gets kinda pricey with 2 cans though and might be better off just getting a better kit, or... Just brewing one can short of the volume - half the volume in this case.

When I was doing kits I used to just brew them short, 4 gallons instead of 5. Also halved the amount of sugar so the end ABV was about the same. It always vastly improved the flavour but didn't up the cost, just a few bottles less.

No harm in experimenting but there are better ways to spend the price of two Geordie kits i reckon.

If you want to experiment try mashing a kilo of crushed pale malt and adding that to the Geordie kit, and steeping some hops in the boiled wort. It's very simple and a big step towards much better beer. And much cheaper than using two kits, or kit plus extract, too.

Last edited:
Never done it,I've taken to adding lme to all my kits,always a good outcome so far!

Latest posts

Back