What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting with this tonight while I contemplate some smaller batch brews because I want to do (drink!) so many things and space is limited.

07A303AF-8269-4D44-A188-40A52A009685.jpeg

Couldn't come away empty handed so I've just bought these beers for 'research purposes'
View attachment 28842
which year samichlaus? - I loved the 2012 the 2015 was not as good.

translated: 5yr old was better than 3yr old. It is quite a thought provoking beer whatever the age though.

translocation of the translation: absolutely get a few in but not a whole crate as a) it's not that type of beer & b) you'll end up penniless 😉

Time now for a Rye from @dan125.

Almost looks like orange juice and hazy as :oops:

Carbonated nicely again - enough for a fizz not enough to foam over. Initially the head dissipated quickly but returned as a light foam that remained to the bottom of the glass. The aroma is nice, slightly spicy and earthy but also quite fruity - grapefruit? Flavour - immediate hit of spicy rye that reminded me of black pepper on strawberries (this beer didn’t taste of black pepper or strawberries but the effect on my taste buds was the same - confused delight). Bitterness was quite assertive but not excessive, no astringency. I would write some more but the beer has gone. 🤷‍♂️

64EFA197-222F-4367-B054-9480E77FB336.jpeg

Time now for a Rye from @dan125.

Almost looks like orange juice and hazy as :oops:

Carbonated nicely again - enough for a fizz not enough to foam over. Initially the head dissipated quickly but returned as a light foam that remained to the bottom of the glass. The aroma is nice, slightly spicy and earthy but also quite fruity - grapefruit? Flavour - immediate hit of spicy rye that reminded me of black pepper on strawberries (this beer didn’t taste of black pepper or strawberries but the effect on my taste buds was the same - confused delight). Bitterness was quite assertive but not excessive, no astringency. I would write some more but the beer has gone. 🤷‍♂️

View attachment 28948
Still can't get over the haze in it. I did a beta glucan rest (also for the first time) and am wondering if this contributed to the haze 🤔
It had 15% rye. Was that too much do you think? I'm going to tweak and rebrew soon.

Still can't get over the haze in it. I did a beta glucan rest (also for the first time) and am wondering if this contributed to the haze 🤔
It had 15% rye. Was that too much do you think? I'm going to tweak and rebrew soon.

Absolutely not - for me at least it was just right. Rye can be both beautiful and challenging but at 15% I think you’re on the button! athumb..

I have used rye a few times and never get the spicy kick of it. I wonder if the hops play a part. Can Chinook add a spicy taste. I have used up to 1kg of rye. A locally brewery made a really nice rye IPA. Something I would like to get close to.

Looking good H.
I think at the moment I seem to have turned a corner with the brewing...things seem easier and more consistent and the beer tastes better sooner..I wonder if it coincides with my resumed effort on water treatment?

Looking good H.
I think at the moment I seem to have turned a corner with the brewing...things seem easier and more consistent and the beer tastes better sooner..I wonder if it coincides with my resumed effort on water treatment?

Thanks @Clint

Good to hear you’ve got your mojo back mate! I think we all at some point get disappointed with a beer or two but that’s life and once you brew a couple of good ‘uns you’re back in the game!

I have a brown ale that’s being an **** at the moment - won’t clear and tastes mucky.

I have used rye a few times and never get the spicy kick of it. I wonder if the hops play a part. Can Chinook add a spicy taste. I have used up to 1kg of rye. A locally brewery made a really nice rye IPA. Something I would like to get close to.
Interesting. maybe the chinook helped the spicy rye thing along.
15% was exactly 1kg in this batch funnily enough.
I noticed that there is quite a bit of variation in colour (and maybe flavour) in the rye from different malsters, which may make a difference??? I used Crisp rye.
I'll defo send you a bottle when I rebrew. I'm thinking simcoe and chinook next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back