What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advent no.5 Double Punk
IMG_20201205_165209_325.jpg

Like a Punk IPA but, well, double...

Nice and hoppy, but a little too boozy.

Drinking a bretted quadruple, kindly sent by @strange-steve, this evening. Had this a while as Steve said it might need a bit of time to carb up. Temptation got the better of me tonight.

A lovely deep red hue, but not as dark as I was expecting. The aroma is surprisingly fresh and fruity, the funk is there but I believe the beer is relatively young. Inviting hint of booze, caramel malt following.

Taste-wise, there is more of that fruit - impression of very ripe berries - first, then the funk, but it is relatively restrained, not overly barnyard-y or musty. There's a really nice acidity that supports the fruit and keeps it very drinkable. No harsh alcohol notes, obviously a good fermentation.

I reckon that this is a tough nut to crack. Unfortunately I haven't allowed enough time for it to carbonate fully; I think that this beer would be sublime with, say, 3 volumes of co2. As it is it is very nice indeed. I suspect that the brett will also develop further complexity as it ages. I'm wondering what strain you used, guessing c?

I've thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and it's given me food for thought as I explore this 'style'. It's very different to my attempts at at a bretted quad and I really want some of that acidity in my future attempts. Thanks for sending! 👍

I’ve been on my Brown Ale all night but to finish I’m going to try a pint of my Czech Pilsner ahead of the last day of the lager comp.

View attachment 36980

If @MickDundee is watching, this is a gorgeous pils ;). The only thing that could possibly improve it is one more day of conditioning. 😂
I almost opened the bottle you gave me , but I thought I would give it some more time in the fridge. It was looking clear in the bottle 👍🏼

Thanks for the review @Oneflewover :hat:

If I recall correctly I primed for about 2.8 vol/CO2 but obviously it's nowhere near that. I'm wondering if the yeast is struggling with the near 11% abv, but it really should be good for up to about 15% so not sure what's going on :?:

I'm also not entirely sure why it's quite so acidic, a lot more than I've experienced before with brett, to the point where I wonder if there's a slight lacto contamination. I used Brett B which was harvested from my Orval clone so it's possible something was picked up along the way. Anyway thanks again for the review thumb.

Im hoping to make that from the apples I’m fermenting. I saw a cold crash video and I might give that a go.
After fermentation, pour the apple wine into empty 2 litre plastic PET bottles, leaving an inch or two in the top of the bottle. Then place in the freezer for a few days till frozen solid. Than bring back out, undo the lid, turn upside down in a pan and allow 1/2 to melt out. The liquid that melts out will be double strength ABV compared to the original.

Right. It's past 12, time to get sampling my secret Santa candidates...

No names or pictures unfortunately, don't want to spoil the fun.

First one is really good, but needs a little longer to carb up properly. It should be fine by Christmas I'd think. All the aromas and flavours I expected. Good head retention (after a swirl as it was a bit flat).

Candidate no.2

I've had this aging for at least 8 months, lovely and lively, with a creamy lasting head. The yeast in the previous beer would've made this one perfect I think. So a toss up between these two so far.

Then I tried this one, and I think I prefer drinking an non alcoholic beer better than this one. tasteless and thin comes to mind.

20201206_120850.jpg

Onto my last secret Santa potential

This one is darker and stronger than the other two, I'm already pretty far gone from the first two... Nice creamy head, good flavour and carbonation for the style...

All three are as good as each other, but in different ways. How do I decide?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back