What are you drinking tonight 2020.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a firkin of this last christmas from my local Vale Brewery, Gravitas a strong pale ale
IMG_2020-12-20-17-59-42-979.jpg

@strange-steve @samale or anyone who has brewed with WLP sour yeast which do you prefer? There are so many White lab options. Looking for a geuze style yeast.

Here are the options Search results for: 'Wlp sour'
My goto is WLP655, it's also the one recommended by Jamil which is a pretty good endorsement. If you can get ahold of a good commercial gueuze then adding the dregs (along with the 655) might add a bit of complexity too.

Festival Spiced Winter Ale (Kit beer)

The more I’ve drunk this the more I’ve liked it. I admit when this was fermenting back in July I was getting quite worried about the temperature it was averaging 25 degree and for a couple of days went all the way up to 29 degrees, but it seems to suit the beer, it’s not exactly easy drinking but it’s not an estery mess (I still shudder slightly at the thought of a bitter I brewed at those temperatures).

Festival Spiced Winter Ale (Kit beer)

The more I’ve drunk this the more I’ve liked it. I admit when this was fermenting back in July I was getting quite worried about the temperature it was averaging 25 degree and for a couple of days went all the way up to 29 degrees, but it seems to suit the beer, it’s not exactly easy drinking but it’s not an estery mess (I still shudder slightly at the thought of a bitter I brewed at those temperatures).

Those temperatures and the effect they had on my own beers is why I invested so much effort in my brew-shed refit. Come the summer I’ll be so pleased I did!

Those temperatures and the effect they had on my own beers is why I invested so much effort in my brew-shed refit. Come the summer I’ll be so pleased I did!
I admit I am increasingly tempted (I have had some good results like the one I’m drinking at the moment, I have also made some beers with Kweik yeast which works well with IPA’s and other hoppy beers). I have also had some real disasters especially when you get an unexpected heat wave part way through a fermentation cycle.

I admit I am increasingly tempted (I have had some good results like the one I’m drinking at the moment, I have also made some beers with Kweik yeast which works well with IPA’s and other hoppy beers). I have also had some real disasters especially when you get an unexpected heat wave part way through a fermentation cycle.

I justify it on the basis that I brew a lot of beer and I hope I’ll be brewing and enjoying beer for years to come so this is an investment in me and my pleasure.

You know you’re worth it! 😂

@strange-steve @samale or anyone who has brewed with WLP sour yeast which do you prefer? There are so many White lab options. Looking for a geuze style yeast.

Here are the options Search results for: 'Wlp sour'
The only one of those I've used is WLP670 American Farmhouse, which produced a very nice rustic, bretty beer, but didn't sour. Although the beer didn't get more than six months old. To get anywhere near lambic levels of sourness, you need pedioccus alongside the brettanomyces. I'd go with the WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1, from the linked selection. Or as @strange-steve suggested earlier, add the dregs from beers such as lambic and orval to a fermentation started with saccharomyces. A little goes a long way in this regard, but takes time, a year at least in my experience.

The only one of those I've used is WLP670 American Farmhouse, which produced a very nice rustic, bretty beer, but didn't sour. Although the beer didn't get more than six months old. To get anywhere near lambic levels of sourness, you need pedioccus alongside the brettanomyces. I'd go with the WLP655 Belgian Sour Mix 1, from the linked selection. Or as @strange-steve suggested earlier, add the dregs from beers such as lambic and orval to a fermentation started with saccharomyces. A little goes a long way in this regard, but takes time, a year at least in my experience.
Thanks that was what I was leaning towards. I have a bottle of cantillon I might culture the dregs a bit and use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back