What are you drinking tonight 2021?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crisp, chilled Budvar while I was brewing up a Cali Common Steam beer earlier this afternoon - now safely tucked up in the brew fridge !
IMG_2021-04-25-16-31-01-191.jpg

Flavour is starting to really mellow. It's lovely, I will wait another few weeks before sending out some 👍👍
How's life treating you, the weather has been great here. Got some good cycling done.

Is the rosemary very prevalent?
Life is good I am getting out on the trail 2-3 times a week. If all goes according to plan I will hopefully run a high 50k in September and then try to get into a local 100 next summer.
Really excited to get brewing again although with summer temps I might be doing kveiks for a while.
Glad your taking advantage of the weather.

Here is a pils for the sunny summer weather here too.

PXL_20210425_210033942.jpg

Is the rosemary very prevalent?
Life is good I am getting out on the trail 2-3 times a week. If all goes according to plan I will hopefully run a high 50k in September and then try to get into a local 100 next summer.
Really excited to get brewing again although with summer temps I might be doing kveiks for a while.
Glad your taking advantage of the weather.

Here is a pils for the sunny summer weather here too.

View attachment 45964
The rosemary is really up front, it is starting to blend well now. It's similar to the cardamom and coriander saison I made last year. It will take around 8 -10 weeks for it to come together.
50k is some running, what kind of pace do you run that at.

Really looking forward to this @dave_77 Indian porter.
Perfect carbonation, pours with a nice large head which fades. Lacing the full way through the drink.
Aroma, light roast , chocolate slight smoke
Flavour, this is lovely. Nice body. Some fruitiness from the hops with a good firm bitterness.
Really enjoyed this one, did you use brown malt.
Cheers 🍺
IMG_20210425_231643531.jpg

Really looking forward to this @dave_77 Indian porter.
Perfect carbonation, pours with a nice large head which fades. Lacing the full way through the drink.
Aroma, light roast , chocolate slight smoke
Flavour, this is lovely. Nice body. Some fruitiness from the hops with a good firm bitterness.
Really enjoyed this one, did you use brown malt.
Cheers 🍺
View attachment 45967
Yeah it has 7% crisp brown malt. I love the flavour of Brown malt. Glad you enjoyed and it was all good as that had been bottles with the tapcooler a few weeks ago.

Yeah it has 7% crisp brown malt. I love the flavour of Brown malt. Glad you enjoyed and it was all good as that had been bottles with the tapcooler a few weeks ago.
Really nice beer. I must get some brown malt in stock. It adds a nice aroma and flavor to the beer which is unique. I have never actually used it before 👍

Can you roast pale malt to produce brown?
I found this on 'homebrew talk.com', US site obviously, 'Fahrenheit, cookie sheet,'
He added, "you can only roast whole grain before cracking/rolling"

"After some research I have determined that brown malt (like so many others) is simply pale malt that has been roasted at high temps for periods ranging from 15 minutes to 1 hour.
  1. Oven to 400 degree (F).
  2. Single layer of pale malt on a foil-lined cookie sheet.
  3. Roasted for 30 minutes.
  4. cooled and placed in paper bag."
Then a reply said,
" I've roasted my own malt a few times, using a similar procedure. Before you use the grains, let them mellow for at least a week. If you use them right away, it will lend a harsh flavor to the beer. I let mine sit at room temp in a bag for about 2 weeks prior to use. I know this doesn't help you now with your starter going, but for future reference. Also, for the temp, I would roast mine at around 350 for about 1 hour to get a chocolate-like malt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back