What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From Asda for £2🤷🏻

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_234905.jpg
    IMG_20220610_234905.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 0
Last beer for tonight, a Dark Mild from @Hazelwood Brewery. The only other dark mild I’ve had was brewed by another forum member (from memory @The-Engineer-That-Brews) and that was a couple of years ago. The aroma is toasty dark malts with a maybe a bit of coffee coming through. The flavour is rich with dark malts, and a nice balance of dry roast and dark caramel sweetness. Bitterness levels are high enough to balance the malty sweetness but not take over. Hop character is low. The body and mouthfeel are light to medium with a lovely dry finish that pulls you back for another swig.
I’d love to see how you balanced the roasted and caramel malts in the recipe, the nail was hit squarely on the head for my taste. It’s a malt forward refreshing beer that I could easily drink all night. Cheers H, and thank you for sharing 👏. It’s a great style of beer that i’ve only had once before and I’ll really need to drink more of.

View attachment 69848
Thanks Alastair, I’m pleased you enjoyed it, your review is spot on. I’ve tried to get a good balance and some complexity into this beer and I think I’m getting close, I have a batch fermenting at the moment that I hope will get me a little closer.

The grain bill starts with 1.5% roasted barley, 2.5% chocolate, 4% dark crystal, 6.5% medium crystal, 10.5% light crystal, 10.5% biscuit and the rest is MO. My thinking is to create a continuous blend from coffee through chocolate to toffee, caramel, and biscuit. The two darkest grains are cold steeped and added to the last 10mins of the boil to minimise any astringency from the roast grains. BU:GU is just under 0.5 but I think it could do with a tad more. The hop character is muted (as it should be) but I would like just a little more so have also increased the hops a little in the new batch.

I'm loving these glasses, by the way @Alastair70. I spent a lot of time trying to find ones that I liked and would fit in the dishwasher. What make are they? I'm tempted by a couple
LSA pilsner glass. I picked up a pair each of the pint and half pints a good few years ago now.

Thanks Alastair, I’m pleased you enjoyed it, your review is spot on. I’ve tried to get a good balance and some complexity into this beer and I think I’m getting close, I have a batch fermenting at the moment that I hope will get me a little closer.

The grain bill starts with 1.5% roasted barley, 2.5% chocolate, 4% dark crystal, 6.5% medium crystal, 10.5% light crystal, 10.5% biscuit and the rest is MO. My thinking is to create a continuous blend from coffee through chocolate to toffee, caramel, and biscuit. The two darkest grains are cold steeped and added to the last 10mins of the boil to minimise any astringency from the roast grains. BU:GU is just under 0.5 but I think it could do with a tad more. The hop character is muted (as it should be) but I would like just a little more so have also increased the hops a little in the new batch.
That’s a decent chunk of roasted grain, and it definitely comes through with toasty coffee flavours and the dryness in the finish. It was a great pint, cheers.

The first bottle of my random "let's see what happens if I throw strawberries into a hoegaarden clone" this afternoon whilst doing a brew.

The bottle gushed, and it's definitely a lot more sour than intended, so I have a feeling some wild yeast came in with the strawberries. I didn't know how much strawberry flavour I would get from supermarket frozen strawberries, and the answer is 'some'. It's pinker than the photo makes out.

If nothing else, I have a random sour for any upcoming swaps! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20220611_145303.jpg
    IMG_20220611_145303.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back