What are you drinking tonight 2022?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another brown ale. I’ve been struggling to identify the flavour that makes it a good winter beer and I think I might have just figured it out, there’s a slight woody flavour. That’s what triggered my thought of drinking this beer in front of an open fire - it’s a log fire!

3FA087D3-F4E6-41F3-B46C-9E18B3F6E323.jpeg

My beers from @Hoddy didnt arrive on friday but to RM issues so starting on them tonight. 4 random beers, guess which one is from a supermarket.

This is a 500ml can by the looks of it. Deya, arbor, overtone come to mind. Very hazy, not soft so more ipa or pale ale category. I would say pale. Hops is hard to guess. Tropical fruits, slight sweetness. Might have a touch of citra, but not dominant.

I would say deya, couldn't guess which one but unlikely to be SRM.

I will drink some more before revealing.

Attachments

• 20221219_202215.jpg
    20221219_202215.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Another brown ale. I’ve been struggling to identify the flavour that makes it a good winter beer and I think I might have just figured it out, there’s a slight woody flavour. That’s what triggered my thought of drinking this beer in front of an open fire - it’s a log fir
So woody as in pine or more like oaked?

My beers from @Hoddy didnt arrive on friday but to RM issues so starting on them tonight. 4 random beers, guess which one is from a supermarket.

This is a 500ml can by the looks of it. Deya, arbor, overtone come to mind. Very hazy, not soft so more ipa or pale ale category. I would say pale. Hops is hard to guess. Tropical fruits, slight sweetness. Might have a touch of citra, but not dominant.

I would say deya, couldn't guess which one but unlikely to be SRM.

I will drink some more before revealing.

So I wasn't far off with this one. Went deya and pale. Thought it wasn't SRM but what do I know.

Attachments

• 20221219_210237.jpg
    20221219_210237.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 0
More earthy than pine but not the soft smoothness of oak. A bit like chewing a fence panel I’d guess! 😂. It probably comes from the challenger hops which are supposed to have a cedar quality - though I’ve never really noticed it before.
Ah yes, I get that from Chinook too. Agreed though, I'd say a good winter beer is malty, a bit woody and might even have a hint of roast too.

Edit: flyer also makes a good one, although I recently read about Phoenix which sounds like it might be a spectacular winter warmer hop. Piney, spicy and reported hints of chocolate.

Phoenix hops are a very unique variety developed by Wye College in England. Pine, floral, and spice are the most common descriptors for Phoenix. But many brewers also report notes of dark chocolate and molasses.
https://yakimavalleyhops.com/products/phoenix-hops

America Amber time, a pint of Two Llamas. Must get V3 brewed, it’s destined for the UK Homebrew comp at start of February. Just like the Cali, clarity and colour are spot on.
View attachment 79523View attachment 79524
Thanks for sharing this beer @Alastair70 just finished it..
It's a pretty beast..dark copper, great head that stuck around to the end with plenty of lacing..crystal clear..
Malty, toasty aroma with a light piney note. Crisp mouthfeel, medium carbonation with perfect bitterness for me..very drinkable. Flavours are similar to the aroma. bready with dark bread crust toasty. Hop character is pine with some citrus. Very nice beer& well made. More of a malty version of the style. Great beer.
IMG_20221219_212223.jpg

This one came out of my DIY advent calendar. De la senne Belgian Stout follows the trend of their pale beers..dry lighter body..smooth light chocolate and medium roast flavours.. Medium-high carbonation make it drink like a lager almost. My kind of dark beer..it has more chocolate and coffee notes than a dark lager but almost as smashable.👌🏼
IMG_20221219_223815.jpg

Another delicious Weizen. Had yeast at the bottom of the glass which I’ve never seen before.

6995BA44-2DE7-48D8-9CB6-7DD77EAE3204.jpeg

Attachments

• AB384C38-1185-4EF3-A124-A3E08DABC51D.jpeg
    AB384C38-1185-4EF3-A124-A3E08DABC51D.jpeg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back