What is Irish moss and what do you use it for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Englishmans Fox

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

The Englishman's Fox here again ready to pick all your brains for more quality brewing knowledge. What is Irish moss? I've seen a few videos and some people use it and some don't.

Any help would be great

Yes you add it in the last 15 minutes it coagulates all the proteins which have formed during the boil. :thumb:

Does anyone have experience with using the natural "leafy" moss v.s the moss in powder/pill form?

I'm about to buy some, and i will probably get the leafy one. I don't like putting un-natural things into my beer.

Rukula said:
Does anyone have experience with using the natural "leafy" moss v.s the moss in powder/pill form?

I'm about to buy some, and i will probably get the leafy one. I don't like putting un-natural things into my beer.

What's unnatural about seaweed? :D
I use this and it works OK but you need to use a little more than the powdered/pill form.

Rukula said:
I threw most of a pot of Irish moss away after the first time I tried using Protafloc.

No contest.

ah.. ok.

I notice its about 1 tsp in a 5 gallon brew. How would this work in 1 gal?

i always put 3g in all brew sizes but brew are usually betrwween 15-25ltr

couple of grams should do

Latest posts

Back