Where to get small hop quantities?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
General whingebag coming up!!!

Ok, I'm pretty much a kit brewer.
I've done a few BIABs, but time and effort is in short supply, and my equipment means I can only do 10l biabs. So kits is definitely the way forward to maintain a steady stockpile of beer in the cellar - with just the odd biab to mix things up.
But I like to play and tweak everything! So I very much like to do lots of different kits, lots of different additions, never do the same thing twice and experiment

But I'm finding it very difficult to get small amounts of ingredients to tweak stuff at sensible prices.
I can't carry several hundred grams of different hops,so I'm limited to buying small quantities at a time for what I need for my next project.
But it's so damned expensive! Buying 500gm lme and a small quantity of hops is nearly doubled by the postage costs! It's not worth buying 1kg hops, as it could be 2 or 3 years before it all gets used! Plus I'd end up with about 5kg of hops of varying types sat in the freezer. Not happening with only a single modest freezer in the house!

For example.
Wilko's one can golden pale ale.
On its own, bland and tasteless.

Add 500g brown sugar
500g spray malt
25g magnum boiled in the spray malt for 15mins
25g saaz as a drop hop

Turns it into an awesome pint

Cost of ingredients, pennies
Cost of ingredients with postage - a bloody fortune....
It turns it into the same price as a two can premium kit!

Does anyone know where I can buy small quantities of hops (like hop tea bags) at sensible prices with postage costs that reflect the very modest weights?

Really lucky with my local HBS for their malt choice and prices, but really impressed with CML for their hops and yeast especially as I'm doing smaller batches and want smaller amounts of hops.

As well as crossmyloof (there's a discount code somewhere, too) ekalsab and geterbrewed on ebay. Like £3.45 for 225g of Admiral delivered. Why wouldn't you.

Latest posts

Back