Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bit scary at first, but get a few brews under the belt and it becomes second nature. I hardly use a hydrometer anymore unless I'm doing high alcohol stuff, and that's just to see how strong I got it!

All done! Beer now in the barrel and everything washed up. Final reading was 1.010. Beer looked great but tasted quite bitter, though that was before I added around 95g of brewing sugar.

Going to keep it in the house for a week and then move to the conservatory (unheated) until Christmas.

The auto syphon I bought separately to the starter pack, is a brilliant piece of kit. Though I've only used it once, I already know I wouldn't be without it.

It's a great feeling knowing that it's all done, but I'm already starting to think about what to brew next, though I'm going to bottle that one. I tend to prefer the lighter, golden ales, so am looking at St Peters Golden Ale or Festival Golden Stag.

Right, enough about beer, I'm supposed to be putting the Christmas decorations up and she'll be back from the supermarket shortly. Kitchen sink full of brewing equipment and decorations not even out of the loft yet!

All done! Beer now in the barrel and everything washed up. Final reading was 1.010. Beer looked great but tasted quite bitter, though that was before I added around 95g of brewing sugar.

Going to keep it in the house for a week and then move to the conservatory (unheated) until Christmas.

The auto syphon I bought separately to the starter pack, is a brilliant piece of kit. Though I've only used it once, I already know I wouldn't be without it.

It's a great feeling knowing that it's all done, but I'm already starting to think about what to brew next, though I'm going to bottle that one. I tend to prefer the lighter, golden ales, so am looking at St Peters Golden Ale or Festival Golden Stag.

Right, enough about beer, I'm supposed to be putting the Christmas decorations up and she'll be back from the supermarket shortly. Kitchen sink full of brewing equipment and decorations not even out of the loft yet!
If you haven't used a PB before this is an opportunity to find out about how the latter parts of brewing work, and initially do some PB checking.
First draw off a tiny amount of beer from the PB tap and note how it comes out. Do that now. That's what it's like without any pressure in the PB.
After two or three days in the warm do the same again. It should be slightly pressurised. If it's the same as at the start it is likely that your PB is leaking somewhere. If it is suspect leave it a another day or two, then try again. By then it should be quite pressurised. If it's still the same, it's time to check the cap seals.
Assuming things OK take a small sample every couple of days. You will see how the beer taste changes and you can also find out if it's clearing.
After about two weeks conditioning keep up the sample regime, until you think its ready.
By then you should have noticed quite a lot happen to your beer, something you can't normally do if it's all contained in bottles.

Great info terrym. .I'm using,for the first time, the pb that came with my kit..tomorrow for my pumpkin beer. I like the sampling regime...

Cheers

Clint

Well, here it is. The first pint from my first brew, with 39 pints of Woodforde's Wherry still in the barrel.

It's beautifully clear and has a nice citrus flavour. Had a friend round last night who likes a real ale. He took a couple of sips and said "Hmmm, it's got that 'twang' you always seem to get with beer kits". I felt deflated! I think I knew the 'twang' was there but maybe choose to ignore it in the hope it would go away. It doesn't stop me enjoying the beer (I had quite a few last night), but I now have to hope that with time, the taste improves. Good first attempt, nonetheless.

For the record, it's now been in the cold for two and a half weeks, so I guess is still very young as a beer. I'm giving myself 7/10!

244r4o9.jpg

The thing is I too like my ale and won't drink rubbish or stuff for the sake of it and I can honestly say the first 10 or so brews I've made,including my strange pumpkin ale ! have all been fine..too fine! Did your friend finish his pint? My mate has never really been an ale drinker...just cans of boddingtons and other dreadful pish...but he has still managed to tip a load of my hb down his neck! Enjoy your beer it looks great! Especially in that glass!

Cheers

Clint

It's beautifully clear and has a nice citrus flavour. Had a friend round last night who likes a real ale. He took a couple of sips and said "Hmmm, it's got that 'twang' you always seem to get with beer kits". I felt deflated! I think I knew the 'twang' was there but maybe choose to ignore it in the hope it would go away. It doesn't stop me enjoying the beer (I had quite a few last night), but I now have to hope that with time, the taste improves. Good first attempt, nonetheless.

For the record, it's now been in the cold for two and a half weeks, so I guess is still very young as a beer. I'm giving myself 7/10!
Why only 7/10?
It's a first attempt.
You say you are enjoying it.
It probably still got a few weeks before it peaks, so the best is yet to come.
And it's a Wherry, and it apparently didn't stick, which must be worth a few bonus points.
So time to give yourself a better mark :thumb:
And be clear on who you brew for, yourself or your mates.

The thing is I too like my ale and won't drink rubbish or stuff for the sake of it and I can honestly say the first 10 or so brews I've made,including my strange pumpkin ale ! have all been fine..too fine! Did your friend finish his pint? My mate has never really been an ale drinker...just cans of boddingtons and other dreadful pish...but he has still managed to tip a load of my hb down his neck! Enjoy your beer it looks great! Especially in that glass!

Cheers

Clint

He did finish his pint so I guess it couldn't have been that bad. It was just the mention of the word 'twang' that has stuck with me all day. I would love to know what causes it, but maybe that question has stumped home brewers for many years! I'll monitor it over the next couple of weeks and see if it improves. I've learnt so much just from doing this one kit (with the help of folks on here) and am certainly not ready to give up!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I've got a few bottles in the shed from around May..also my first brew. I tried the first around August and they were great..the last few are lovely stuff and proves I can,with care,make some half decent beer. I think most kits will give drinkable beer if you treat them right. It is funny though how people pull a face at the mention of homebrew but there's a never ending supply of testers out there...who all want premium,5% + ale that tastes like fosters ....for free...as said...if YOU like it that's all that counts.
Been there done that making Christmas cakes;having bbqs etc etc..plenty turn up,expect stuff or ask for stuff then have the cheek to pass comment or be shy on the return...

Cheers

Clint

Wherry is (was-it's all gone), the best woodfordes kit I ever made - and I've made loads of kits. (Beaten only - IMHO - by St. Peters Ruby Red). I'm sure the twang will subside as time goes by, but it may take 3+ months to be at it's best. Keeping your mits off it will be tough, but worth it, if you can.

Most of us are impatient when we first start brewing...and some of us still are. :whistle:

The longer you leave a beer, generally the better it will be. Most of the canned kits are much better 6-8 weeks after bottling/kegging, but keeping your mits off them can be a challenge. Wherry certainly benefits from a decent conditioning time, so don't be too hard on yourself - see if you can keep a bit back until the end of Jan and see how it is then.

I'm down to my last few of these now..my first brew. I'm pleased the way it's worked out ,nice and smooth with citrus and floral flavours. I've been down to the allotment for a few hours digging and spreading out the manure...then a couple of hours peeling a carrier bag of sprouts ,a load of parsnips,a pumkin,sprouting broccoli, some very late potatoes. .and a cabbage!
My pint is well earned! Would it brew it again? I'll be first down to Wilko when they get their **** into gear and get a sale on!

Cheers

Clint

Well, here it is. The first pint from my first brew, with 39 pints of Woodforde's Wherry still in the barrel.

244r4o9.jpg

It's going to because of the tap water you used....nothing more nothing less

Chill

Unless you've done it by yourself from scratch it's nothing to take to heart!

Wherry is (was-it's all gone), the best woodfordes kit I ever made - and I've made loads of kits. (Beaten only - IMHO - by St. Peters Ruby Red). I'm sure the twang will subside as time goes by, but it may take 3+ months to be at it's best. Keeping your mits off it will be tough, but worth it, if you can.

I'm glad you said that because my next kit is already bought and ready to start when I can find the time. And it is... St Peter's Ruby Red.

Good idea! Forgot to mention, my Wherry's and St. Peter's Ruby, used filtered tap water. One of those under-sink types feeding a 3rd tap. I'm in the south-east, the tap water here in is very hard.

I'm SW london so I don't know how it compares

Latest posts

Back