Your First Grainfather Brew - A Walkthrough

Discussion in 'Beer Brewing "How-To" Guides' started by strange-steve, Jan 11, 2019.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Feb 2, 2019 #41

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

I did a little reading and I'm surprised you found no difference. This is from Bru'n Water:

2. Feb 2, 2019 #42

ITMA

ITMA

ITMA

Mmm that's interesting. Bear in mind it was just the tests that were unaffected by the temperature, a quick skim of that suggests if adding acid then the treatment won't be effective?

I didn't need to add acid, just bicarb and gypsum but yes I hadn't thought about the effect the temperature would have on the treatment.

(Edit, I also didn't bother testing the effect of the treatment, I just threw it in and carried on. Maybe I'm not suited to this scientific approach!)

3. Feb 3, 2019 #43

MagnusTS

MagnusTS

MagnusTS

Could it be something to do with the direction that my recirculation pipe points onto the top plate during the mash? Maybe washing away the grains under the top plate if pointing down too much and flow too fast??

4. Feb 3, 2019 #44

MagnusTS

MagnusTS

MagnusTS

I did a brew this weekend and was determined to find the cause of the grain bed collapse.
    Of course it all went smoothly, no grain bed collapse, and lovely clear wort into the boil.

But thanks for the tip. I will definitely keep an eye on the seal on the top plate.

5. Feb 3, 2019 #45

Peter Scandlyn

Peter Scandlyn

Peter Scandlyn

Could be I guess. Generally I route the discharge pipe past one of the plate grips so it rests against the inside of the malt pipe. I'll have a play and see.

6. Apr 17, 2019 #46

Alastair70

Alastair70

Alastair70

Active Member Supporting Member

Cheers Steve, just unpacked and set up my GF. Your guide was invaluable. I expect I’ll be back here tomorrow for the inaugural brew.

7. Apr 20, 2019 #47

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

How did the first brew go then?

8. Apr 20, 2019 #48

Alastair70

Alastair70

Alastair70

Really well, did Ger er Brewed’s Pimped Up APA kit. Set up was easier than I expected. The connect app is great and helped the day ran smoothly, the whole system is a delight to use.
    I upped the strike vol and decreased sparge after reading posts on stuck mashes but must have got my sums wrong. Ended up overshooting on OG ending up at 1.064, expected was 1.055.
    Clean up was a doddle afterwards. Can’t wait for its next run out, going to do a Session of some sort to keg for summer day drinking, exact recipe still in research phase.

strange-steve likes this.
  9. Apr 21, 2019 #49

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

Glad it went well. I was a little worried that it might take some of the fun out of the brewday, but not at all, as you say it's a delight to use. Nine points is quite a lot to overshoot by, was your FV volume as expected?

10. Apr 21, 2019 #50

Alastair70

Alastair70

Alastair70

No, that was the cock up for this brew. I’ve got a 10L stockpot and need to do two runs of 7.5L to give the required sparge volume. I only did one, hence the overshoot. I’ll swig a trial jar next week and see if I’m happy with it as is or want to liquor back. Next addition to the set up will be a cheap cool box with a tap added so I can get the ful sparge volume ready during the boil.

11. Apr 22, 2019 #51

strange-steve

strange-steve

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer

What about just storing the hot sparge water in your FV until you need it? Yeah it'll lose some heat, but if you brought it to the boil, poured it into the FV then started heating the second half it'll still be hot by the time you need it (plus it'll sanitise your FV in the process). Even if it does cool down, a cool sparge has been shown to have very little or no effect on efficiency.

Alastair70 likes this.
  12. Apr 23, 2019 #52

Alastair70

Alastair70

Alastair70

That is a stellar idea. Thank you.

13. Sep 29, 2019 #53

ClarenceBoddicker

ClarenceBoddicker

ClarenceBoddicker

Thank you so much for this strange-steve. Invaluable to me on Friday night. It was a long night but that was due to other factors like my wort chiller not connecting well to any outlet but I managed. Without this I would have struggled but for first GF brew it is fantastic. My brewfist Caterpillar effort is in my shiny new ss FV and bubbling away. acheers.

strange-steve likes this.