Kitchen boiler vent

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dads_Ale

Crafty Brewer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to conduct my brewing in the kitchen. Over the years I have upgraded from a 25ltre boiler to a 56 litre one but I have always had one problem, namely boil over.
My boilers have always had a vent added but I have always had the lid on.
My recent Grainfather trial meant I ran it with the lid off, whilst this caused a bit of fogging in the kitchen the boil was better controlled.
So what could I do?
Answer put a fan on the vent hose:

DSCF6071.jpg

and then the boiler lid can be raised, allowing a more controlled boil and any steam vented to out side:

DSCF6069.jpg

This worked pretty well and will allow me to add more wort to the boiler (means I will have to buy a bigger HLT and mash tun but shiny stuff is calling :smile:)
One problem that I hadn't envisaged was that the condensate built up in the fitting above the lid, surface tension stopped it draining back into the boiler, and blocked the vent holes:

DSCF6072.jpg

So next upgrade is to fully cut out the vent hole in the lid and then...

Buy more shiny stuff ....:lol::lol:

thats a great idea. I'm forced to boil outside...tried it inside once but the walls were dripping with condensation despite extractor fan being on and missus wasn't impressed. :nono:

Latest posts

Back