Base malts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thinking of investing in a grain mill ( do so every year)

Quick questions. How different would 100% extra pale maris otter be for example from an optimum mix of regular maris otter and regular extra pale ale malt?

How would 80L crystal compare to a mix of 60L and 120L ( in the required ratio to hit 80l)?

At the moment i order all the specific crushed grains needed for each brew in batches to cover 3 or 4 brews but if crushing my own id imagine be using my own stock which would be more limited so less choice.

I am the same I think it would be nice but can I justify the cost and time to mill it. The purists will say deffo as it does give you fresher milled grain but I think modern grains even crushed keep well enough these days and my efficiency is 75% up or down a point which is good enough for me

Haha, so dont bother by the sound of things! I intended to get a grain mill after my first year. 5 years later after looking into every year always end up thinking maybe an investment elsewhere is more worthwhile!

Still interested in hearing answers to those question above though

IMHO the differences in base malt would be negligible, crystals on the other hand have a wide range in flavour and an averaging out based on colour value would yield a vastly different taste.

IMHO the differences in base malt would be negligible, crystals on the other hand have a wide range in flavour and an averaging out based on colour value would yield a vastly different taste.
Thats what I was kind of thinking. And uncrushed crystal malt will last a couple years I take it if kept well?

There is not a lot of difference in base malts. Crystals yes. I think brulosophy did an experiment with mixing a low and high EBC crystal compared with just one crystal in the middle of the EBC. I can't remember the aa results, but a simple search should render it for you.

Uncrushed it'll last years. I have some from about 18 months ago.

I got my mill because I could bulk buy 25kg sacks of uncrushed from a local brewery. If it wasn't for that, I probably wouldn't have bothered with the mill. It's easier just to buy it crushed

Thats what I was kind of thinking. And uncrushed crystal malt will last a couple years I take it if kept well?
I guess so. I was given a range of uncrushed malts, mainly crystals and roasted malts, but don't have a mill. A quick blitz in a blender or nutri-bullet doesn't appear to have any adverse effect, i find. Considering the percentage used in the grist and that crystals only need steeping, inconsistent or floury crush shouldn't be as problematic as with base malt.

I mill my own as it enables me to buy and store uncrushed malt in 25Kg sacks and (theorectically) to optimise the crush for my set up. The economics of milling your own change where homebrew shops make an appreciable charge for milling malt as happens, for example, in France. What I would like to source is a direct drive electric motor for my mill to turn it at around 180rpm.

For years I have bought crushed pale in 25kg sacks but have always been unsure how well the malt I scoop out remains consistent ie often quite floury and that has a tendency to move about in the sack and can cause a stuck mash if lower down the sack it collects over time? I invested in a grain mill, by 25kg whole malt and crush to my own spec. Works for me.

Back