Easy Keg 5L

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 - Not if you are tidy when applying
2 - No
3 - party star or internal tap????
4 - leave in garage currently around 8-10c
5 - Depends on style. carb the keg less than a bottle. I would say between 12-20g per keg depending on style. Bottle anything from 3g - 11g depending on style and type of bottle. Never tried Elvis Juice so can't advise.

To answe my own question. Would have picked one up if they were in stock. They had the festive beer in cans

I just picked up a festbeer keg, they had loads in stock where I am. Would have got a couple more if I didn't have a basket...

I sent Klarstein an e-mail with the following questions:

Does it fit the normal kegs with the top hole?
Does it regulate temperatures other than 4.5 celcius?
What is the difference between the £99 and £119 models?
If no Co2, how is the beer pushed out?

No answers did they provide and it's been about two weeks.

This will answer some of your questions: even though it's in German, you can see how it works. Looks like there's no pressure left in the keg at all and it uses an electric pump to shift the beer:
https://youtu.be/-iBXv6c360s

Looks like it's only really useful for parties where you'll drink the keg quickly, as the beer is under no pressure at all so will go off.

I sent Klarstein an e-mail with the following questions:

Does it regulate temperatures other than 4.5 celcius?
What is the difference between the £99 and £119 models?

No answers did they provide and it's been about two weeks.
It fits all 5L mini kegs and easy kegs, the instruction booklets on the product pages list all the different bung types and what you need to do with each to install the tap.

I don't know about the temps

The £99 model uses CO2 cartridges the others use some kind of pressure based air pump system.

Again, it's a pump system, but I have no idea how it works or whether it actually produced CO2. I'll try the one with cartridges if I decide to take the risk.

Was in lidl yesterday and they had loads of those £11.99 wheat beer kegs. I picked one up but don't think the Bung takes the party star so will wait to drink that one. Up to 8 kegs in total now.

Thanks. I like the idea of the CO2 cartridges since the gas forms a protective blanket over the beer I think. And they are cheap enough if you shop around.

I'm really interested in the temperature though, because 4.5 degrees is too cold for any craft beer in my opinion, except on a really, really hot day.

I like the idea of the CO2 cartridges since the gas forms a protective blanket over the beer I think.

You're right, any system has to have some CO2 over the beer or it'll go off. I had a minikeg last summer whilst on holiday and it was fine to start under it's own CO2, but one I opened the top to let the air in it went off very quicky.

Party Star tap seems to be the way to go for me, although I've got a minikeg priming at the mo to see if I can get away with just using the internal tap.

You're right, any system has to have some CO2 over the beer or it'll go off. I had a minikeg last summer whilst on holiday and it was fine to start under it's own CO2, but one I opened the top to let the air in it went off very quicky.

Party Star tap seems to be the way to go for me, although I've got a minikeg priming at the mo to see if I can get away with just using the internal tap.
It's the cooling that I would have an issue with for the Party Star. I have very little fridge space, and don't really want to go to the expense of buying a table top fridge just for the Party Star. If the Klarstein model with the CO2 cartridges is just the same as the PS but with a cooling chamber then it's the ideal solution.

It's the cooling that I would have an issue with for the Party Star. I have very little fridge space, and don't really want to go to the expense of buying a table top fridge just for the Party Star. If the Klarstein model with the CO2 cartridges is just the same as the PS but with a cooling chamber then it's the ideal solution.

Try this, I really was surprised how well it worked.

Thought I'd share this for anyone, like me, who can't fit their mini kegs in the fridge.

I have one of those padded cool bags, which turned on it's end, fits a mini keg with party star tap perfectly. I put 4 x freezer ice blocks and the (room temp) keg in the bag before work this morning and when I got home I had a nicely chilled beer. The blocks weren't even half defrosted, so will work in the summer too hopefully.

EDIT - this actually worked too well for my tastes and dulled the flavour of the beer. Would have been a good temp for lager. Will experiment with less blocks!

I saw that also. Cheap way of getting a couple of kegs + a fair amount of beer!

I should have checked here before I posted the deal myself.

N1 Nico, I spotted the deal on Hotukdeals btw.

How long does beer last in a mini keg?? (with the party star tap)

I might consider one.. and bottle the rest.. I don't tend to drink a whole batch back to back (normally have a few on teh go) so I would carb in warm and then assuming you could consume it over a few weeks?

I might consider one.. and bottle the rest.. I don't tend to drink a whole batch back to back (normally have a few on teh go) so I would carb in warm and then assuming you could consume it over a few weeks?

Never had one last long enough to tell. If under co2 it should last for a few months.

When I was looking at them I'm sure one website claimed it would keep for 90 days!

In a sealed keg the beer will last as long as it is under C02 same as any keg.

Using the bottom tap only will allow air in and the beer will start to deteriorate in 2 -3 days.

Back