fermzilla all rounder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find the plastic carbonation caps better - they have an inbuilt flange which seals when they are tightened. The SS caps have a normal washer to seal against the lid and, because the edge of the aperture in the lid is quite narrow, the washers can easily become distorted and fail to seal properly. I have three all rounders and find them excellent. If you decide to buy one read the instructions, particularly about suitable cleaners - which do not include Five Star PBW or any other cleaner with sodium metasilicate in. Both Kegland spunding valves are fine, but the one with the large dial is obviously easier to read.
I am also looking to purchase an All rounder and would like to buy everything require at the same time, you mention use of suitable cleaners can anyone suggest what they use to clean there all rounders id PBW isn't recommended.

I use PBW with no adverse affects yet.....I hadn't picked up PBW wasn't recommended...Keglands own cleaning product, StellarClean, is just rebranded PBW isn't it?

I see my fermentation perfectly well, I have a coned bottom allowing the yeast to drop out, dead yeast at the bottom, live yeast on the top;. I have a thicker PET fermenter so will expect a longer shelf life. As it is a 30 litre have the optimal fermentation space for a 21 or 23 litre brew.
What have I got is the Apollo, coming to a brew store near you.
015.JPG

There's also a post in another thread about the lessons they learnt after using theirs for a while. I think it was recent but can't seem to find it right now. If I come across it I'll let you know as it was useful reading, having just bought exactly what you're purchasing.

It was something I wrote ages ago. Some things have changed (e.g. I believe that the AR pressure kit now comes with red and yellow carbonation caps) but some of the other tips are still relevant:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/fermzilla-30l-all-rounder.91009/post-1048452
There are lots of other tips in that thread as well :)

I've got both the plastic and metal carb caps, I prefer the plastic ones. Have found that the yellow ones seem to be a bit more prone to leaking, the two I have both leak through the poppet valve.
The all rounder will fit into an undercounter fridge (just) but it's better in a tall fridge as you can store a keg or two below for CO2 capture.

In mine I have two dip tubes, one is a float with a filter and the other is a piece of 3/8" beer pipe that goes to the bottom of the FV so I can bubble CO2 through when dry-hopping or just to stir things up a little.

IMG_0767.jpeg

It was something I wrote ages ago. Some things have changed (e.g. I believe that the AR pressure kit now comes with red and yellow carbonation caps) but some of the other tips are still relevant:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/fermzilla-30l-all-rounder.91009/post-1048452
There are lots of other tips in that thread as well :)
That's the one I was thinking of! Thanks for that athumb.. For some reason I thought it was more recent than that. Perhaps I only cam across the thread in December.

I use PBW with no adverse affects yet.....I hadn't picked up PBW wasn't recommended...Keglands own cleaning product, StellarClean, is just rebranded PBW isn't it?
There have been pictures on Facebook brewing groups of crazing to the necks of all rounders, which was claimed to be caused by metasilicate. I'd rather not risk it: I clean mine with sodium percarbonate in a bucket blaster type gadget I made myself. I do not know what is in Kegland StellaClean, but a Kegland rep has warned against metasilicate on FB groups. I cannot provide a reference as it was a few months ago.

There have been pictures on Facebook brewing groups of crazing to the necks of all rounders, which was claimed to be caused by metasilicate. I'd rather not risk it: I clean mine with sodium percarbonate in a bucket blaster type gadget I made myself. I do not know what is in Kegland StellaClean, but a Kegland rep has warned against metasilicate on FB groups. I cannot provide a reference as it was a few months ago.
Sodium meta-silicate does not harm PET plastics, in fact it is recommended in the cleaning of PET bottles. That crazing around the neck is actually stress fractures from the forming process.

Sodium metasilicate or disodium metasilicate is a component of Stellarclean, PBW and another alternative , Chemiwash pro , according to MSDS supplied with each.As Foxy says, it has good compatibility with PET.

The issue with PBW us people adding it to the fv and then adding water (or the other way around), it can lead too very concentrated solutions initially in areas. Mix it up in some of the water before adding and you should be fine.

I find the plastic carbonation caps better - they have an inbuilt flange which seals when they are tightened. The SS caps have a normal washer to seal against the lid and, because the edge of the aperture in the lid is quite narrow, the washers can easily become distorted and fail to seal properly. I have three all rounders and find them excellent. If you decide to buy one read the instructions, particularly about suitable cleaners - which do not include Five Star PBW or any other cleaner with sodium metasilicate in. Both Kegland spunding valves are fine, but the one with the large dial is obviously easier to read.
I have the plastic caps on mine both red and yellow. What I have found that whilst I have no problems o the gas side, whilst transferring from the all rounder to keg I don’t get any flow through the cap until I place my hand on it and force it down a bit more. I have changed the O rings several times but to no avail, any ideas

After googling and youtubing, I've just purchased the fermzilla 60l all rounder, already searching keg cleaners etc.

Latest posts

Back