January Brew and Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My opinion would be an English bitter is way too normal and doesn't push people out of their comfort zone or get them to brew something they wouldn't otherwise.

We already have an imperial sweet stout, but it's the husband's brew and had nothing to do with me, so not fair to send that.
Always open to suggestions, have you a style in mind

My opinion would be an English bitter is way too normal, and doesn't push people out of their comfort zone or get them to brew something they wouldn't otherwise.

We already have an imperial sweet stout, but it's the husband's brew and had nothing to do with me, so not fair to send tha
I know what you mean, but I also think making a decent balanced bitter is quite difficult. There is nowhere to hide with it and it's hard to get away with any mistakes.

My first go at my Rye!

20230218_174219.jpg

What do you think @Alastair70, you're in charge of it.
It’s power to the people for this swap ✊. I’ve just coordinated things!

As far the game plan had been, we’d agreed an Impy Stout to swap 6+ months after brewing, something Belgian and a pale ale that aren’t IPA’s.
Looks like everyone is up for an extra brew which is cool. I like the idea of a witbier but would happily brew a bitter. Why don’t we keep it between those two?
Post your preference if you’re interested in brewing.

It’s power to the people for this swap ✊. I’ve just coordinated things!

As far the game plan had been, we’d agreed an Impy Stout to swap 6+ months after brewing, something Belgian and a pale ale that aren’t IPA’s.
Looks like everyone is up for an extra brew which is cool. I like the idea of a witbier but would happily brew a bitter. Why don’t we keep it between those two?
Post your preference if you’re interested in brewing.

Bitter for me!

In other news, looks like @Stu's Brews is bringing a 40-point beer to the swap. Well done in UKNHC 👏

(I’m too much of a gentleman to rejig the swap, but I can’t say it didn’t cross my mind 👿)

Thanks, pleasantly surprised as it's my first attempt at the style! Had some good feedback on it too so will definitely be brewing it again. Will be interesting to see how people's reviews compare.

I'll bottle today to get them sent out tomorrow. Was waiting for the competition results to confirm I'd fixed my bottling woes, which it seems I have - phew!

@Alastair70 - unless I'm getting confused (it is fairly early for a Sunday) you are getting a bottle from me anyway so no need to devilishly rejig?

Tensions have clearly run high. I’m going to ask @Chippy_Tea to remove any posts not related to the preferred style for the extra swap. If anyone hasn’t declared a preference yet please do.

I will be bottling and posting on Tuesday, so don’t worry if you are expecting something from me and it’s a bit slow to arrive.
Well spotted @Stu's Brews, you are sending a bottle my way. I had a quick look at the order of names and thought the swap was going to go differently.

Last edited:
Back