January Brew and Swap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just clarify please - is the imperial stout compulsory, no matter which style we end up choosing (witbier or bitter)
I have done a preliminary version of both styles in Brewfather.
Not compulsory, just highly recommended😀

Last edited by a moderator:
It's like to join in the next swap, but unfortunately I won't be doing the imperial stout as I don't like them. I wasn't planning on doing a bitter until autumn because I like paler beers in the summer.

I was planning on doing a hefeweizen this summer again, so if people would be willing to extend the border definition a little bit from Belgian wit into Bavarian hefe, I would really like that - otherwise my vote would be the wit over the bitter. But I'm just a small vote as I don't meet the "recommended" criterion of brewing the impy, so feel free to ignore my vote if needed. 😁

@Stu's Brews, @Alastair70 and @Hazelwood Brewery - beers popped into the post this afternoon. Hopefully with you by Weds/Thursday. As usual totally forgot to put my name on the bottles!! Last time I tried a bottle it was still slightly hazy. Don't think sitting in the fridge will help, but maybe worth a go. I didn't coldcrash this one...maybe something for next time. I love this brew so will be making it again soon 🍻🍻

Theres a lot of interest in both bitter and wheat beer or wit for an bonus summer swap. I’d suggest brewing either, or even both if you’re really keen. There will be a least 3 of each brewed looking at the responses and we can swap within style.

As far as the planned swaps for the rest of the year, we were looking at

Imperial Stout, brewed March/April to swap end of October
Belgian, brewed June to swap end of July
Pale Ale, brewed October to swap end of November

Theres a lot of interest in both bitter and wheat beer or wit for an bonus summer swap. I’d suggest brewing either, or even both if you’re really keen. There will be a least 3 of each brewed looking at the responses and we can swap within style.

As far as the planned swaps for the rest of the year, we were looking at

Imperial Stout, brewed March/April to swap end of October
Belgian, brewed June to swap end of July
Pale Ale, brewed October to swap end of November

Are we counting the wit as a Belgian beer or would that be a different swap?

Given the appearance of my brew I would advise to drink straight from the can 🤣

I fear you may be being a touch harsh on yourself - it's a tough style to get clear due to the high protein content in the rye.

Mine is far from clear and it got full marks for appearance at the UK nationals (I had expected a point to be knocked off due to the haze) so unless it looks like you've scooped it up from the bottom of the fermenter you're fine.

Last edited:
Back