March Brew and Swap - Scottish 80/-

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm drinking @Twostage 80 bob, a lovely clear dark copper colour. A mild malty aroma, a hint of something fruity, raisin maybe. Nice creamy white head which has lasted 2/3rds of the glass.

Well carbed, I thought overly so as it opened with a fierce pop but all is well. A medium body, with a nice grainy feel to it, something I never really get in mine.

Tastes much the same as the aroma, nice and malty. Bitterness lingers a bit which cuts through the sweet malt.

Overall a lovely beer, wish I had the fire lit and a few more of these! Thanks for sharing!

20240323_165106.jpg

I'm drinking @Twostage 80 bob, a lovely clear dark copper colour. A mild malty aroma, a hint of something fruity, raisin maybe. Nice creamy white head which has lasted 2/3rds of the glass.

Well carbed, I thought overly so as it opened with a fierce pop but all is well. A medium body, with a nice grainy feel to it, something I never really get in mine.

Tastes much the same as the aroma, nice and malty. Bitterness lingers a bit which cuts through the sweet malt.

Overall a lovely beer, wish I had the fire lit and a few more of these! Thanks for sharing!

View attachment 97236

Cheers. I'm going to be sampling yours shortly :D

Sampled it (the Pilgrimhudd bottle) last night.

I haven't checked the style guides so this is just me sampling beer (might check it after I've posted).

I'll get the negatives out of way first - the head didn't stay and it was hazy/cloudy.

BUT...

It had a lovely malty/coffee aroma.
The carbonation was good, plenty of bubbles.
The flavour was chocolately coffee, almost like you had coffee grains in your mouth (not a criticism).
The mouthfeel was the best thing about it. It filled your entire mouth, side to side and top to bottom. A lovely creamy feel.

Really nice athumb..

Not sure of the 'rules' about when to reveal recipes (is it after all reviews ?) but I'd want to brew it.

Alastair's bottle tonight. :D

Sampled it (the Pilgrimhudd bottle) last night.

I haven't checked the style guides so this is just me sampling beer (might check it after I've posted).

I'll get the negatives out of way first - the head didn't stay and it was hazy/cloudy.

BUT...

It had a lovely malty/coffee aroma.
The carbonation was good, plenty of bubbles.
The flavour was chocolately coffee, almost like you had coffee grains in your mouth (not a criticism).
The mouthfeel was the best thing about it. It filled your entire mouth, side to side and top to bottom. A lovely creamy feel.

Really nice athumb..

Not sure of the 'rules' about when to reveal recipes (is it after all reviews ?) but I'd want to brew it.

Alastair's bottle tonight. :D

Glad you enjoyed it! That does look murky, perhaps it didn't travel well. I think usual etiquette is to wait till all have reviewed but it's no secret, it was the recipe from the Greg Hughes book with CML Beoir as the yeast. Actually ended up stronger than i'd hoped for and I felt it's also slightly too fizzy.

Glad you enjoyed it! That does look murky, perhaps it didn't travel well. I think usual etiquette is to wait till all have reviewed but it's no secret, it was the recipe from the Greg Hughes book with CML Beoir as the yeast. Actually ended up stronger than i'd hoped for and I felt it's also slightly too fizzy.

Yes, I wonder if I didn't pour it right for the head but it fizzed up as soon as I poured so I backed off and poured it gently. Anyway, it tasted nice.

Tasted the 80 bob from @Alastair70 last night.

I'll start with the one negative first - slightly hazy.

But...

Nice head which stayed.
Malt came through in the taste.
Clean tasting.
Good carbonation and mouth feel.
Very drinkable.

It reminded me of mine (although I didn't do a side by side) in the mouthfeel department.

Unfortunately the the photographer needs sacking (me) :rolleyes:

IMG_6561.jpg

Cheers @Twostage, glad you liked it. I have been enjoying it too and I agree with all your points. It was fined with gelatin in keg a couple of weeks ago and it has cleared up significantly. I reckon it's still got a bit of conditioning to do, head retention has been on the up since kegging and the malts are starting to sing. Can't remember where the recipe came from.

Attachments

• Brewfather_HeavyBevvie_20240206.pdf
    112 KB · Views: 0
Here's my recipe. I made it up.

I was really impressed with the Empire Ale yeast, it fermented out in 20 hours and carbonated in two days (there was a rest period in between but I would be tempted to do a 4 day brew next time wink...).

Attachments

• Brewfather_80Bob_20240325.pdf
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
My first swap beer, from @Twostage.
Great pour; good clarity, medium to high carbonation, nice long lasting tight head and a lovely deep copper colour.
The aroma is malty, toasted white bread and a hint of caramel. The flavour follows with dark caramel and raisin highlights.
It’s got a great body and mouthfeel for a low ABV beer.
Great brew, this tastes more like what I was aiming for. Thanks for sharing it 🍻

IMG_3065.jpeg

I’m just about to tuck into a curry, so I’ll leave @pilgrimhudd until tomorrow!

My first swap beer, from @Twostage.
Great pour; good clarity, medium to high carbonation, nice long lasting tight head and a lovely deep copper colour.
The aroma is malty, toasted white bread and a hint of caramel. The flavour follows with dark caramel and raisin highlights.
It’s got a great body and mouthfeel for a low ABV beer.
Great brew, this tastes more like what I was aiming for. Thanks for sharing it 🍻

View attachment 97478

I’m just about to tuck into a curry, so I’ll leave @pilgrimhudd until tomorrow!

Yes, the low ABV I was hoping would be missed as technically it’s not really an 80 bob is it ? :D

Yes, the low ABV I was hoping would be missed as technically it’s not really an 80 bob is it ? :D
I don’t think that’s too important. Missing OG by a couple of points doesn’t define a beer. What’s more important, for me anyway, is brewing something that’s enjoyable to drink and reflects the style you were aiming for. You managed both in my book.

@Alastair70 80 shilling next for me.

Apologies I have a little bit of a blocked nose... what aroma I can make out is malty and sweet.

Well carbed, head disappeared fairly quickly but lovely and clear out of the bottle. Looks great.

Waited a bit for it to warm up, sweet and malty to taste, medium to light mouthful, nice aftertaste, again the malts come through, not much in the way of hop flavour which is to be expected.

A homely sort of beer, which is how these are supposed to be, could drink a few of these much like @Twostage beer, ive really enjoyed them both. I think my one criticism with this one is that for me it it might have done with a touch more bitterness to counter the malty sweet. Tis but a minor adjustment.

Thanks for sharing again👍
20240329_203430.jpg

@Alastair70 80 shilling next for me.

Apologies I have a little bit of a blocked nose... what aroma I can make out is malty and sweet.

Well carbed, head disappeared fairly quickly but lovely and clear out of the bottle. Looks great.

Waited a bit for it to warm up, sweet and malty to taste, medium to light mouthful, nice aftertaste, again the malts come through, not much in the way of hop flavour which is to be expected.

A homely sort of beer, which is how these are supposed to be, could drink a few of these much like @Twostage beer, ive really enjoyed them both. I think my one criticism with this one is that for me it it might have done with a touch more bitterness to counter the malty sweet. Tis but a minor adjustment.

Thanks for sharing again👍
View attachment 97544
Cheers mate. I’m enjoying it, if I brewed again I’d be upping the roasted grains first then maybe the IBU’s.
I’ve put yours off til tomorrow. I went a bit mad on the cocktails and my Munich Dunkel, then had a BBQ. It wouldn’t be fair to open it now🤨

Latest posts

Back