May Brew Review Thread - Saison

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so sticking with the saisons even though @AJA one has taken its toll after a few pints in the local
This one had me perplexed.
@SMP Brewery offering.
opened with a small hiss. And poured with a small lacing of a head. Aroma is nothing I have smelled before initially I thought something was amis. Further sniffing led to an aroma of lemongrass and mint ! I was afraid to take a sip of this one but am I glad I did !!!!
the malt is the first thing that hits you followed by that lemon/tart/lemongrass earthiness and a finish of nearly spearmint aftertaste. Really dry finish that leaves your taste buds wondering what the hell is going on.
a very interesting and tasty beer and sorachi ace is something of a weird one in the hop world.
the only thing I would say in a bit more carbonation would be nice but it’s a minor issue a really well made beer and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
every sip I take brings me back again wondering what I’m tasting 😳
Love the variety of these beers we call saisons.
cheers mate. This has left my pallet wondering what the hell is going on.
D5C34BEE-BA03-4347-B42C-D3B3919863CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Starting with @Hazelwood Brewery Saison, I don't know any details which is good.

For starters it's a lovely looking beer, golden slightly hazy with nice soft white head.
Nice floral aroma backed up with a bit of spicy pepper
Real nice flavour to this beer, it's dry but not thin. Good mouth feel with moderate bitterness.
Overall a really enjoyable beer, I am not sure if this is your lab competition beer. Carbonation is on the lighter side for the style so I used an activator glass which really helped.
Thank you for sending, great start to the weekend 👏
IMG_20220603_163016620_HDR.jpg

Starting with @Hazelwood Brewery Saison, I don't know any details which is good.

For starters it's a lovely looking beer, golden slightly hazy with nice soft white head.
Nice floral aroma backed up with a bit of spicy pepper
Real nice flavour to this beer, it's dry but not thin. Good mouth feel with moderate bitterness.
Overall a really enjoyable beer, I am not sure if this is your lab competition beer. Carbonation is on the lighter side for the style so I used an activator glass which really helped.
Thank you for sending, great start to the weekend 👏
View attachment 69466
You’re welcome bud. I did include the recipe and LAB Open feedback in a PM you can review when you like.

@Mash Monster - drinking, and very much enjoying, your saison now. Good hiss on opening. Pretty hazy pale straw colour. Fluffy white head initially, but disappeared quite quickly. Aroma-wise I'm mainly picking up the saison yeast and a bit of citrus, clean malt and nothing that 'shouldn't' be there. The flavour is all about the yeast to start with, although I can tell that you fermented towards the lower end of the yeast's range as it's not over the top. The citrus and a hint of coriander spice comes through at the end, and with a restrained but cleansing bitterness it makes for an extremely refreshing drink. Nice light body and crisp, dry finish, and job's a (very) good 'un!

i tend to make (and if I'm honest, prefer) my saisons around the 7% mark, but this is a really lovely summer drink, bravo sir 👏

@pilgrimhudd - time for your saison now. Another nice hiss on opening. Again a lovely pale hazy straw colour. Impressive head upon pouring, but didn't hang around. The aroma is quite clean - interested in the yeast you used, I'll wager it wasn't wy3711 / white labs or dried equivalents. I'm picking up a bit of hop aroma - something 'American'? Otherwise a hint of citrus and bready malt. Flavour again is relatively clean for a saison, but I like the subtlety. A tart and citrus profile, moderate bitterness, cracker-like malt profile. Perfect carbonation, dry and crisp finish with a light body, and.......boom!

I liked this beer very much. It hides the booze well and is very drinkable. If was being ultra-critcal I'd say it lacks a bit of complexity, but overall it was most splendid Indeed 👏

@Mash Monster - drinking, and very much enjoying, your saison now. Good hiss on opening. Pretty hazy pale straw colour. Fluffy white head initially, but disappeared quite quickly. Aroma-wise I'm mainly picking up the saison yeast and a bit of citrus, clean malt and nothing that 'shouldn't' be there. The flavour is all about the yeast to start with, although I can tell that you fermented towards the lower end of the yeast's range as it's not over the top. The citrus and a hint of coriander spice comes through at the end, and with a restrained but cleansing bitterness it makes for an extremely refreshing drink. Nice light body and crisp, dry finish, and job's a (very) good 'un!

i tend to make (and if I'm honest, prefer) my saisons around the 7% mark, but this is a really lovely summer drink, bravo sir 👏
Many thanks It’s my first try at a saison hence the low ABV.
It’s interesting that you describe it as ‘hazy’ Did I send you a PET bottle or was it a glass one ?
Once again thanks for your feedback
Cheers 🍻

@pilgrimhudd - time for your saison now. Another nice hiss on opening. Again a lovely pale hazy straw colour. Impressive head upon pouring, but didn't hang around. The aroma is quite clean - interested in the yeast you used, I'll wager it wasn't wy3711 / white labs or dried equivalents. I'm picking up a bit of hop aroma - something 'American'? Otherwise a hint of citrus and bready malt. Flavour again is relatively clean for a saison, but I like the subtlety. A tart and citrus profile, moderate bitterness, cracker-like malt profile. Perfect carbonation, dry and crisp finish with a light body, and.......boom!

I liked this beer very much. It hides the booze well and is very drinkable. If was being ultra-critcal I'd say it lacks a bit of complexity, but overall it was most splendid Indeed 👏

Defo agree its a bit one dimensional, glad you enjoyed it, I'll keep the recipe secret for now, hops were a bit of all sorts, defo a user upper!

Many thanks It’s my first try at a saison hence the low ABV.
It’s interesting that you describe it as ‘hazy’ Did I send you a PET bottle or was it a glass one ?
Once again thanks for your feedback
Cheers 🍻
It was a glass bottle. I poured carefully, but I only opened the parcel it came in on Friday morning so maybe I disturbed some sediment and it hadn't had time to settle.

Anyway, I kind of expect a saison to be hazy, and it certainly wasn't a criticism. I know my effort is hazy!

It was a glass bottle. I poured carefully, but I only opened the parcel it came in on Friday morning so maybe I disturbed some sediment and it hadn't had time to settle.

Anyway, I kind of expect a saison to be hazy, and it certainly wasn't a criticism. I know my effort is hazy!
Ok I expect that was why
Thanks again I glad you enjoyed it

Cheers Alastair. I liked that beer a lot and will brew it again as it’s refreshing. Thankfully I have a 5l mini keg of this for taking away in the caravan.
Thanks for the kind review. 👍
I've just polished off a 5l minikeg of my saison whilst camping! Much easier than a bunch of bottles!

@Hazelwood Brewery
After waiting 7 days for your beer to settle in the fridge I decided to try it today and am I glad that I did !
The bottle opened with a slight fizz and I was concerned it would be under carbonated but my concerns were soon extinguished and I slowly poured a highly carbonated, light golden, slightly hazy beer with a tight creamy white head.
The aroma is was what I can only describe as ‘saison’ with a hint of pepper.
The initial taste is citrusy with a pleasant orange flavour finishing with a spicy aftertaste which was most enjoyable. After a few sips there is a slight warming of alcohol just enough to let you know that this is a beer to be savoured and not one to just pour down your neck !
Thank you for sending me this one 10/10 a lovely drink

Attachments

• 9726D2BC-EE76-434B-B850-161A43927993.jpeg
    9726D2BC-EE76-434B-B850-161A43927993.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
Late review, I drank @Hazelwood Brewery saison at the BBQ last night, but kept notes.
Nice citrus fruit aroma with a bit of peppery spice coming through. The flavour is a nice balance of peppery phenols, crackery malts and citrus hops with none of them standing out above the rest. I got none of the alcohol warmth that the judges remarked on.
It poured with a good head that dissipated quickly, I’m blaming the plastic glass that I use for outside drinking. The finish was dry and refreshing. I though it was well brewed and bang on style. Cheers H, what a great beer to indulge while engaging in my favourite activity.
239D8E35-F054-419F-8D08-936BEA87619B.jpeg

Last one to review @Broken Toe saision
Lovely looking beer perfectly carbonated nice soft white head. That gets refreshed with a constant stream of bubbles
Very subtle aroma with a bit of clove and some banana and again these are evident in the taste. Very dry finish that is perfect in the fading sunshine.
A very well made beer
Cheers.

Attachments

• 0F29431A-BE9E-45F5-969D-FCDD3A3E522F.jpeg
    0F29431A-BE9E-45F5-969D-FCDD3A3E522F.jpeg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
My last Saison, also from @Broken Toe.
Great clarity and perfectly carbonated. The aroma is of peppery phenols. Flavour wise, it’s yeast forward with the balance towards pepper over stone fruit esters. A light grainy malt and noble hop character adds to the overall balance of the beer. Its well attenuated with a long dry finish, I ripped through it no time.
I don’t think I’ll be brewing the GH saison again. I liked all of the guest brews, and all had very different personalities. This style is going to be a summer staple going foward.
A5D0D2B2-E7BC-4283-B006-B18B22848389.jpeg

Back