My latest brew looks more like kombucha than beer…

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDHIPA

Reaction score
So This is my first brew using whole hops (home grown) and the picture below is 24hrs post pitch (whc LAX liquid yeast) I noticed when transferring to fermenter that there was a fair bit of “scuzz” but usually this settles out fairly quickly however this time it seems to have formed solid floating lumps. Has anyone else had this? I have many many brews under my belt and this is the first time this has happened
0EE1891F-5BAD-4EBB-BF2B-36C2C45FA90A.jpeg

Sorry, I've never seen anything like that before. I just noticed the bubble on the surface and that's not normal.
Don't toss it on my advice but, personally, that one would have to go.
Edit: Got the answer from below--not a bubble.

Last edited:
Is that "bubble" the dip tube float?

I have had similar signs in the past when I used a bit too much proflock and then transferred the whole lot through. But not quite as impressive as yours. 🙇‍♂️

If it dros out later on I'm sure it'll be fine....?

I have had similar signs in the past when I used a bit too much proflock and then transferred the whole lot through. But not quite as impressive as yours. 🙇‍♂️

Yeah I was thinking it was too much protafloc as well. I’ve done it before myself because I used to be too lazy to break the tablet in half - It’ll sink eventually.

And yeah that’s definitely the float from the floating dip tube.

It looks like you dropped an omlette in your FV.

Not helpful I know, but I cant stop looking at it.

Correct! It’s the floating dip tube
So I did indeed snap a protafloc tablet in half and whacked it in because I couldn’t be arsed to 1/4 it. Sounds like this is what has created the “omelette” it’s fermenting like the clappers now and the omelette seems to have been obliterated and is swirling around as per any other brew I have done so I’m less worried now. I’ll post an update picture in a bit because…. I have nothing else to do

I’m hoping a week of cold crashing will drop any omelette residue out of suspension so I can avoid that!

Latest posts

Back