Need some help identifying a brew system

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growler

Regular.
Reaction score
I have been offered a 50 ltr brewery which is a single vessel ( blue mango style drum)
The guy has said it's styled after a "Witchwood brewery barrel set up" but I can't find any thing like this :wha:
All I can tell you is it has a small pump and a large external filter

What I need is some idea of how a single barrel system works as have a 3 vessel system at moment and how much a system made from a blue barrel may be worth as I think he is asking a bit too much

Any help would be very much appreciated :thumb:

6A7CE223-DAE9-4A97-BA15-CAE7CFCB377F-7380-000012088AD76A28.jpg

6FD40E6D-9879-45B4-9503-37421E1DC5E0-7380-0000120881C2E94A.jpg

These are all he's given me

I am assuming it is BIAB, the filter should be a hopback (well in would be in my brewery)

No idea what the whytchwood method is i did check out their site
http://www.wychwood.co.uk/#/world//hobgoblin/history
but no mention of any special method beyond the breakspears double dip?? a fermentation technique, and they mention the usual things like mash tuns etc in the tour description ???

I must check out the new breakspears, the original was a smashin pint but only drunk close to the source it didnt travel further than 20 miles very well,

as for the brewkit, unless its a bargain price significantly less than a diy upgrade of your current system, i would avoid it.. it could be a well thought out and competently engineered job and still have features that wind you up.. better off building your own so when anything isnt quite right at least you know where your starting from when fixing it

hmm looks like the kinda half arsed thing i would build :lol:

probably makes great beer though if u know how to work it and how to manage its little eccentricitys

also if thats everything its pretty compact

my guess is it works similar to the spiedel brumiester- ie mash with recirculation (what pumps for), sparge into fermentors, clean vessel of grain(lift out bag) and engage heat then cool and put in fv finally to ferment

Blue barrel £10
Solar pump £20
10" Water filter canister £20
Washing machine type ball valve taps (2) £1.50 each
Braided tap connector (with rubber pipe in) £2.00

copper pipe and fittings say £10

There must be a heating element in there somewhere £20 for a Backer, £5 for a Tesco, £10 for an immersion.

Is there anything else there?

So, about £70 to build, and it is old. Its quite intriguing, though!

Simon.

Growler said:
think I may avoid then as he wants £250 :shock:

cough!! tho its probably a bargain if you consider the hours spent planning and building it;)

but with £250 you could possibly buy a shiny thermopot and 2 x 70l shiny french pots the qmax & starlette cutters for tap element and sundry holes. And perhaps some h/w you need, that you cant salvage/recycle from your current kit.

it is all doable lots of walk thru s in here and if you do get stuck lots of experience to back you up.

drilling SS can be painfully slow but you take it slow not to heat it up ;) and once a tiny hole is punched/drilled thru, its easy to expand ;)

and if you opt for blue barrels you may even have some cash left towards grain....

this is why I wanted help from you lot!
I must say my initial reaction was " HOW MUCH!!!!"

yeah go with your first instinct , i'm a bugger for wanting stuff that'll i'll convince myself it's good or worth the money , looks a load of **** is my first impression and £250 lol more like £100 tops and even then i would think twice .

One of these = £75 ish

Two of these = £80 ish

False bottom £50 ish
Taps, fittings elements etc say £70 ish

Total £275, and a lot better than the above :thumb:

Back