Sparging - BIAB

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a side-note:

I'm puzzled why we stick to 23L batches (5 UK gallons)? I do 21.6L batches to fill my 20L Corny kegs, and 20.6L if using the 19L kegs (the commonest these days). Recipe calculators (if using one) happily convert recipes for different batch sizes (or equipment). The extra 1.6L is for fermenter losses.

If bottling the batch size is whatever fits.

So for full-boil-volume-mashes for Corny sized batches, 35L should be ample (but bigger is better!). But it does depend on strength of beer produced (@Covrich = 🥳 ... 😁).

I only have a small boiler and usually get about 15-17l, but I do a partial 'sparge'.
Grain bag gets put in a colander on top of the tea urn whilst the heat is turned up. Let it drain and then pour a few litres of water slowly over the bag and Co tinue to let it drain.
When the wort is approaching boil, the bag gets a good squeeze and away we go. Usually hit a solid 70% efficiency with little effort.

I run with a similar grain bag in a colander & pour water from kettle through it.
I used to split the grain between 2 tiers of an old steamer before I bought myself a big colander.
I think that was more efficient - but took longer.

For someone wanting to fill 2 kegs it has to be the 70 litre, doing full volume no sparge. I have the 60 litre and that produces about 36 litres of 4-4.5% ABV.
003.JPG

The holes for the handles are 8mm so I use 5/16" all thread so the holes are blocked off.

Using the 40 litre same all thread but lift the grain basket higher to get more in, and put the none fermentables in at mash out saves a little more space.
Instead of sitting the rim on the lip of the grain basket in the kettle, sit the all thread on there give a little more space.
003.JPG

Depending on ABV 32-35 litres of mash liquor volume for no sparge. Which again depending on ABV gives 21 or 23 litres into the fermenter

Latest posts

Back