The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NHS staff are getting evicted because landlords are fearful that they'll bring C-19 back home with them

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...e-die-in-wales#block-5e779d8c8f08a08573fbf629
"A paramedic has described being evicted from his home because his landlady was concerned that he could spread Covid-19 at the property."

"Sarah-Jane Marsh, the CEO of Birmingham women’s and children’s NHS foundation trust, said that “nurses have been evicted from shared accommodation because people don’t want to live with them right now."

But it is the little things, like being able to easily get tinned tomato’s, or being able to stop off for a quick half pint on the way back from work. Heck being able to decide today I think I will have chicken curry rather than I will hopefully be able to get some kind of meat and depending on what is available will curry it.
You know what though? I think it’s good.
It’s good that the little things are starting to matter more. Its good that I’m ******* happy about eggs, good that you appreciate your curry even has meat in, whatever meat it is. It’s good that we have to find more things to fill our time, more hobbies etc.
I think we can take things for granted too much and I’m definitely guilty of that to a massive extent. I am really starting to see now how important these things really are.
Don’t get me wrong, this situation is plenty ****** up, but there’s definitely a lesson here I feel.

It’s good that the little things are starting to matter more. Its good that I’m ******* happy about eggs, good that you appreciate your curry even has meat in, whatever meat it is. It’s good that we have to find more things to fill our time, more hobbies etc.
I think we can take things for granted too much and I’m definitely guilty of that to a massive extent. I am really starting to see now how important these things really are.
Don’t get me wrong, this situation is plenty ****** up, but there’s definitely a lesson here I feel.
I think you are right once we get through this I hope that people will start to appreciate the things we take for granted and each other

BBC News -

The first minister has warned she will use emergency legislation to close pubs that ignore advice to shut in the wake of the coronvirus outbreak.

Nicola Sturgeon said the vast majority were complying with the advice, but those that did not were putting lives at risk.

The UK government announced on Friday that licensed premises, restaurants and other venues should shut.

Police Scotland said closure orders would be served where necessary.

It follows reports that a number of pubs across Scotland have ignored advice to close over the weekend.

To date 10 people in Scotland have died after testing positive for Covid-19.

The total number of confirmed cases currently stands at 416, but experts have warned the true number of people with coronvirus will be significantly higher.

I wonder what happen to all the fresh food that closed restaurants/pubs had in stock - it could be given away to food banks and such.
I work in a restaurant, fortunately we already have a strong relationship with a local foodbank. Anything that we could not freeze, out of date before end of May or already opened was donated. I'm just really pleased that all of it is going to the people that need it most.

Have to sort of agree hopefully when this is all over I will be able to go and have a pint and a burger, and maybe buy a dozen cans of tomato’s on the way home, and it will be glorious.

Had a good day, spent outside with family and out 3 new chickens. Felt like any normal weekend in Spring, until you pick the phone up, ignore the 101 whatsapp memes and they see the headlines of idiots going to the seaside/park in their hundreds and more deaths.

I've just been looking at the numbers of cases..UK now has 5683 cases, that's 5 more than Spain had last Saturday when they went into lockdown.This weekend Spain have 22000 infected , total infections over 28000. Were in for a massive spike in cases over the next week ,

I wonder who they are? Lol:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

So do I. :hat:

The first minister has warned she will use emergency legislation to close pubs that ignore advice to shut in the wake of the coronvirus outbreak.

The Police in Scotland said that they will use current licensing laws to shut down pubs for 24 hours ...

... and if they open up again they will be shut for another 24 hours! clapa

I think even the most determined idiot will get the message by then, and if they don't then the legislation should be in place to take more severe action.

I'll put what our Prime Minister said on the other site! athumb..

So it looks like those that couldn't stay in and away from other are going to force the country into lock down, i hope like the panic buyers they will one day look at themselves and realise how selfish they were.

All the government wanted us to do was act responsibly i guess they didn't want to lock us all inside as policing the lock down will be a nightmare but the selfish couldn't do the simple thing and will now suffer with the rest of us.

BBC News -

Boris Johnson has warned "tougher measures" could be introduced if people do not take the government's coronavirus advice seriously.

The PM thanked people for making sacrifices but said people must follow social distancing guidance.

"If you don't do it responsibly... we will have to bring forward further measures," he said.

Speaking at Downing Street's daily news conference, Mr Johnson told people going to parks they "have to do that responsibly".

It comes after pictures showed people across parts of the UK visiting parks and open spaces in large numbers over the weekend.

Snowdonia National Park said the area "experienced its busiest ever visitor day in living memory" on Saturday, with other beaches and mountain summits busy.

"Don't think fresh air in itself automatically provides some immunity," Mr Johnson said, adding that even if people think they are invulnerable, "there are plenty of people you could infect".

"Take this advice seriously, follow it, because it's absolutely crucial."

"My message is you've got to do this in line with the advice, you've got to follow the social distancing rule - keep 2m apart."

Asked whether stricter measures could be introduced, Mr Johnson added: "I don't think you need to use your imagination very much to see where we might have to go, and we will think about this very, very actively in the next 24 hours.

"It's so important that that pleasure and that ability is preserved but it can only really be preserved if everybody acts responsibly and conforms with those principles of staying apart from one another and social distancing.

"If we can't do that then, yup, I'm afraid we're going to have to bring forward tougher measures."

"A paramedic has described being evicted from his home because his landlady was concerned that he could spread Covid-19 at the property."

"Sarah-Jane Marsh, the CEO of Birmingham women’s and children’s NHS foundation trust, said that “nurses have been evicted from shared accommodation because people don’t want to live with them right now."

Although it's obviously outrageous, it is arguably the best thing to happen purely from an epidemiological POV. It's not much talked about, but you're most likely to get this thing when in prolonged close contact with people - like at home or work. So to reduce transmission you really want only one area where you're in close contact with people. For most of us that means home, and the work environment can be sacrificed in the short term in the name of reducing transmission. Obviously key workers don't have that option, which means reducing contact with "fresh" people at places other than work.

So that's part of the logic of putting key workers up in hotels - it prevents them taking bugs home, and also avoids another close-contact zone if they would normally commute by public transport.

I'll emphasise - I'm not condoning what this landlord did, the logical and humane thing to do would be to not evict the worker whilst they go and stay in one of the hotels that are opening up for key workers, but anyone who comes into close contact with two different groups of people (like family and workmates) is increasing the risk of transmission.

Things are going to get really rough once hospital workers start getting it in significant numbers though.

During the Boris talk today somebody said we've got a higher percentage of peopls sick than Italy had at this stage.

Although it's obviously outrageous, it is arguably the best thing to happen purely from an epidemiological POV. It's not much talked about, but you're most likely to get this thing when in prolonged close contact with people - like at home or work. So to reduce transmission you really want only one area where you're in close contact with people. For most of us that means home, and the work environment can be sacrificed in the short term in the name of reducing transmission. Obviously key workers don't have that option, which means reducing contact with "fresh" people at places other than work.

So that's part of the logic of putting key workers up in hotels - it prevents them taking bugs home, and also avoids another close-contact zone if they would normally commute by public transport.

I'll emphasise - I'm not condoning what this landlord did, the logical and humane thing to do would be to not evict the worker whilst they go and stay in one of the hotels that are opening up for key workers, but anyone who comes into close contact with two different groups of people (like family and workmates) is increasing the risk of transmission.

Things are going to get really rough once hospital workers start getting it in significant numbers though.

This is why boris needs to instigate a lockdown pronto. People have been treating today like a national holiday from what I've seen and read

Quite agree MyQul In ten years i have never seen my village ( In the Highlands ) so busy.!!!!!
The number of kids and young adults running around together in groups I have never seen before.

I think Boris will be left with no options but to lockdown

This is why boris needs to instigate a lockdown pronto. People have been treating today like a national holiday from what I've seen and read

Unfortunately I think it is too late. As a country we have little history of state-led clampdowns (compared with the French and Italians) and as such we are squeamish about boots on the ground preventing unnecessary travel and social interaction. We will end up with higher levels of infection than the countries with tougher restrictions as a result.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think it is too late. As a country we have little history of state-led clampdowns (compared with the French and Italians) and as such we are squeamish about boots on the ground preventing unnecessary travel and social interaction. We will end up with higher levels of infection than the countries with tougher restrictions as a result.
I think so too, I was shouting for a shut down weeks ago but when not if it happens it will be too late

I wont say much having had a bit of a drink, other than , some of the pictures i have seen from around the country today are totally out of order people just walking around without a care in the world wtf is going on, do they think all the food they have plundered is going to save them, i feel so sorry for families who will lose loved one,s because of this there are going to be a lot of guilty people when this virus is done

What makes it worse is that in Wales there are lot of people travelling long distances to get to the tourist location, bring a greater risk of introducing the virus. Hoads of people from the Midlands have been seen in and around where I live. There have been very limited cases here so at least we can prepare and learn from other areas, it with all the idiots about.

Latest posts

Back