The Coronavirus thread.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding Barrow In Furness.
I live here.

I suspect a few reasons for the high number of cases.
1. The first cases (as I recall) were workers from the shipyard. I knew there and then Barrow would be hit hard.
The shipyard hasn't closed.
2. Certain areas of the town are full of social scum. That isn't being harsh. The outlying areas of the town are like anywhere else and a nice place to live, but some of the town centre housing areas are rife with drugs and a complete and total lack of regard for social distancing is obvious.
3. House parties are ongoing.
4. Teenagers from different households are still gathering in number and walking around just as before. Taking exercise or going shopping leaves me shaking my head.
5. The police are actively not going to the areas that the large groups of kids are congregating at.

Apart from that, it's looking promising LOL

ill stay with an open mind about it. find it hard to believe someone of her highly regarded work and expertese in imunity that she would put it out what is happening and also states she would prove it in courts.
did you actually watch it all?

Expertise or not, there are idiots in every profession. I saw enough to know to tell me it's the usual ******** you hear from flat-earther anti-vaxxer types. Dangerous, and best ignored.

ill stay with an open mind about it. find it hard to believe someone of her highly regarded work and expertese in imunity

Do you have the skills to assess her expertise? Because skimming her publications she seems to be more of a biochemist who happens to work on cancer and with antibodies outside the body than tradional immunology. And some of the most dangerous people are the people who don't work directly in the field in question but are close enough to think they know what they're talking about (and I'd include myself in that, which is why I don't try to make too many claims in relation to Covid but just give pointers to people who do have a track record with viruses and epidemiology).

Don't use the appeal to authority based on what they've done in other fields in the past - otherwise you would follow two-time Nobel Prize winner Linus Pauling who became obsessed with trying to cure cancer with vitamin C.

And don't believe something because they say they would "prove it in courts." The world is full of poor people who used to be rich people who thought the court would agree with them. What actual evidence has she offered, and what do scientists who know about this stuff, think of her evidence? That's what matters.

Don't have such an open mind that your brain falls out - you need to critically assess the evidence not just say someone must be right because she's used antibodies in some tests. And there are no magic fixes - if something works then there will be a body of evidence behind it, gathered by actual virologists and epidemiologists. Which takes time - and they will be open about the evidence for and against.

many wont take the time to watch this vid but its worth the time imo. vit d and other things from a world renound immunologist Dolores Cahill

I saw this a few days ago. 1st thought was its amazing ts still on youtube as anything against the main narrative on COVID 19 is usually removed with amazing efficiency. The claims I took from it are.

She claims if the government said in Feb. this virus is coming everyone should take vitamin c & d supplements and zinc then only those with extreme health issues would die from it and most of them would be saved if they take hydroxychloroquine at the onset of symptoms. The virus would then pass virtually unnoticed and everyone (who had caught it) would be immune. I have no idea if this could be the case but there is evidence it all helps and it will never be proven as there not testing the dead for all these. Though 1 of the Dr John videos did have a study that showed low vit D gave a 10 rimes higher death rate.

Next claim was anyone who has had the virus is immune for life, she presented this as an absolute fact. I don't think anyone knows if this is the case but from what I have seen and read its likely immunity would last at least 6 months more likely 2 years+ and could last for life and even if immunity only lasts 6 months some resistance would remain for much longer but being a brand new virus anything is possible.

Next claim the US military have a high death rate due to the aggressive (not sure what the word she used was) flu vaccines they are given causing a word beginning with C storms, from what I understand its a kind of immune system over response (the same that causes inflammatory problems from Covid), if you want more you will have to watch the video and do some research yourself. I didn't understand this enough so say anything about how likely it is.

I'm sure I have missed or forgotten alot more but these are the main claims I noticed

I watched the first half of the video. What she said made a lot of sense. But whereas she may be right from an immunological point of view she's not very good at basic maths. I can't remember the figure she gave for the death rate but here in the UK it's somewhere between 0.5 and 0.8%. Which sounds low but do the maths - if covid was allowed to rampage through the population that's somewhere near half a million deaths. And what would it be in China? 20 million or so?
I was mostly put off by her assertion that half the deaths are in the over eighties, and implied that was ok. So the elderly don't count all of a sudden?
Imagine being a PM and your legacy is you stood by and watched half a million UK citizens die.
She may be a great immunologist. But she's not much of a human being.

Barrow second homers you've got to be joking MQ. Industrial town not the Lake District.

Yeah it is industrial, the entire town revolves around the shipyard in one way or another.

I do know someone who has a second home here, they bought it cos property is dirt cheap and the lake district is a hop, skip and jump away. I kinda get their logic. If they'd paid three times as much for a property in the Lakes, they'd still have to drive to get out of the same area, so the extra 30 minute driving is no hassle having the property here.

The Germans know how to make people keep a distance - swimming pool noodle hats :laugh8:

1589468475208.png

Katy Lee
@kjalee

Oh my god, this is amazing. A German cafe is making people wear swimming pool noodles as hats to enforce social distancing.

Butchers bill for today +3446 new cases +428. Numbers dont appear to be coming down at all. I dont get why were coming out of lockdown. We'll only have to go back into it

Butchers bill for today +3446 new cases +428. Numbers dont appear to be coming down at all. I dont get why were coming out of lockdown. We'll only have to go back into it

According to Coronavirus Update (Live): 4,468,278 Cases and 299,568 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer deaths are slightly down on yesterday and new cases slightly up.

428 is half what it was when it first hit and that was without counting care home deaths which they are supposed to be doing now.

A former work colleague wrote this on FB so I quote him.

This morning on the Today programme it started. And it will go on I am quite sure. What did - I hear you ask!? The government's moves to start laying the blame for what is now the worst Covid track record in Europe on .... yes, "The Scientists". Listen on BBC Sounds to the interviews either side of 8:00am - one with Jeremy Hunt (now Chair of the Commons Health Committee) and one with Edward Argar (Health Minister, reports to Hancock). The line from now on will be that Track And Trace was on the schedule in March but was shelved only because of the advice from "The Scientists". This is complete ********. Johnson had to admit at PMQs last week when put on the spot by Starmer that Track & Trace was shelved because of lack of testing resources (it wasn't "relevant" apparently, ie they couldn't do it!). Watch This Space - BLAME (RE-)ATTRIBUTION IN PROGRESS.

According to Coronavirus Update (Live): 4,468,278 Cases and 299,568 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Pandemic - Worldometer deaths are slightly down on yesterday and new cases slightly up.

428 is half what it was when it first hit and that was without counting care home deaths which they are supposed to be doing now.

I think new cases may be a more important figure than deaths as it indicates we haven't got a handle on it yet as people keep catching it (although fortunately not dying from it so much).

Tbh If I caught it and died from it I wouldnt worry so much (mainly because I'd be dead) but it's the possible life long incapacitating effects it may have that terrify me

More interesting facts about who the virus effects and who it doesnt. I wonder if it's diabetes as a whole or there's a difference between T1 and T2 diabetes. As T2 diabetes if reverse able (and can also caused by being obese)

Quarter of coronavirus victims are diabetic, data shows
A quarter of Covid-19 patients who have died in hospitals in England had diabetes, according to figures released by NHS England.
Data published for the first time today breaks down deaths from coronavirus by pre-existing conditions.
Of the 22,332 patients who died since 31 March, when pre-existing conditions began to be reported, 5,873 (26%) had diabetes, while 4,048 (18%) had dementia. Some 3,254 (15%) were reported to have chronic pulmonary disease, while 1,549 patients had asthma.
NHS England said the accuracy of the data was reliant on the availability and transfer of information by healthcare providers, and patients may have had more than one pre-existing condition.
Fac

Latest posts

Back