The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clives-online

Reaction score
Greetings,

This is my first beer kit brewing.

I started the yeast with sugar, it was active, trying to escape from the jar..

I added the yeast to the wort over 8 hours ago. There has not been any activity in the fermentor?? The water in the air trap has not been displaced or bubbled.

Should I take some wort and add sugar, to check it is "live". If the yeast/wort reacts and is live, should I add it back into the wort??

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Clive

Greetings,

This is my first beer kit brewing.
The yeast was active, trying to escape from the jar..

I added the yeast to the wort over 8 hours ago. There has not been any activity in the fermentor?? They water in the air trap has not been displaced or bubbled.

Should I take some wort and add sugar, to check it is "live". If the yeast/wort reacts and is live, should I add it back into the wort??

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Clive
Just wait. The Yeast is getting used to its new home. This is the lag phase. It can last 24 hours plus. Be patient and let it do its thing.

One of the best pieces of advice I read on this forum was that the best way to ruin a beer was to worry about it.

Just wait. The Yeast is getting used to its new home. This is the lag phase. It can last 24 hours plus. Be patient and let it do its thing.

One of the best pieces of advice I read on this forum was that the best way to ruin a beer was to worry about it.
Thanks Norman.

Just to add to the above for future reference, it's probably not best practice to "prove" the yeast with sugar. Just rehydrate it in lukewarm tap water, or just sprinkle it directly onto the wort. That being said, I'm not trying to worry you and it'll turn out fine.

Dont rely on your airlock. If its a standard plastic FV with lid and plastic airlock within the lid, the lid does not often fit tightly so although it looks OK it leaks CO2 and that bypasses the airlock. However 8 hours on for some yeast is not long toget going, so be patient.
This may be of help since its your first kit beer
Basic beginners guide to brewing your own beer from a kit - The HomeBrew Forum

+1 to that. I use plastic fermenter tubs and occasionally there is no bubble activity in the airlock at all - but I can see there is a krausen head forming and gravity readings taken a few days later prove things are happening. There's no harm if the CO2 is escaping through the lid seal. And yes, I've had yeasts take 48 hours to kick in to life.

My latest brew which I have just bottled created no airlock activity at all despite the lid being on tight and sealed all around with parcel tape. Patience was rewarded after about 24 hours with a krausen visible through the wall of the bin and an eventual drop in gravity over 12 days indicating an ABV of 4.5%.

Back