BrewCon 2023 Comp

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who is organising it this year? Last year was an absolute shambles.

Edit - just clicked the link. Simon Poppola is Shipping Coordinator - I hope that’s only organising the bottles that are shipped in and not shipping out any of the prizes afterwards!

I was very disappointed in last year's BrewCon + comp.

In fairness, I have to note that the comp organisers for this year are listed as:

• Ken Bazley — Head Judge
  • Jon Moore — Head Steward
  • Will Morgan — Shipping & Cellar Manager
  • Jane Price — Competition Organiser
As I understand it, these are all proven competition staff. In particular I would note that Ken (of LAB) is top notch.

I feel confident that this crew would not put their names to anything second rate. I don't know for sure, but I've heard it said that several LAB members have 'high quality events' tattooed on their right buttocks...

I also note that the judging schedule (wed night, thursday night, friday afternoon, friday night, saturday morning) seems generous - even though it will not easily accommodate working/travelling judges.

I have no links to BrewCon or the organisers.

Cheers

Martin

As with others, I'll probably sit this one out given how badly last year's event was organised. There are a couple of other competitions in the same time period (Welsh National and NAB Brew Like A Monk) so I'd probably end up sending in the same beer(s) as one of those anyway.

I'm also a little bit put-off by the fact it seems very oriented towards clubs; not being part of one myself it makes me feel a bit like an 'outsider'. You'd assume that the anonymity of the judging process wouldn't cause any issues with table judging/scores but I can't help but wonder whether a non-club entrant would be allowed to win a 'Club Challenger Cup' prize. I know it says it's not exclusively for clubs but not sure why they felt the need to promote it in such a way rather than just having a home brew competition that had a prize for the best club within it.

That all being said, I'll still be watching from afar to see if things are better with the new people involved with a view to potentially entering again in future years.

Best of luck to anyone that does enter!

Last edited:
As with others, I'll probably sit this one out this year given how badly last year's event was organised. There are a couple of other competitions in the same time period (Welsh National and NAB Brew Like A Monk) so I'd probably end up sending in the same beer(s) as one of those anyway.

I'm also a little bit put-off by the fact it seems very oriented towards clubs; not being part of one myself it makes me feel a bit like an 'outsider'. You'd assume that the anonymity of the judging process wouldn't cause any issues with table judging/scores but I can't help but wonder whether a non-club entrant would be allowed to win a 'Club Challenger Cup' prize. I know it says it's not exclusively for clubs but not sure why they felt the need to promote it in such a way rather than just having a home brew competition that had a prize for the best club within it.

That all being said, I'll still be watching from afar to see if things are better with the new people involved with a view to potentially entering again in future years.

Best of luck to anyone that does enter!
and the ACB competition!!!... Anglian Craft Brewers & Briarbank Brewing Company - 2023 Homebrew Competition :laugh8:

I dont see anywhere where it indicates that an individual cannot win the Best of Show or Best Brewer prize. There is no way that judges would remotely know whether an entry was from a club/non-club member and believe me, there is simply not enough time/resources at such events to split the beers based on this definition.

The Club aspect is simply just a name to promote the £250 sponsored prize for the best club.

...and anyway....you could enter your club simply as "Stu's Brew Crew" or maybe "The Homebrewforum Conglomerate" or perhaps "Town/Village Name Brewing Club"....the organisers would never know...there isn't a formal directory of brewing clubs for them to check against. The fact that your club has a membership of 1 (maybe 2 if you include the dog/cat) would be unknown.

Not being a club member shouldn't be a barrier to entering.

However previous years experiences might be a barrier, and that's fair enough....but as Martin said earlier....the team they have running it are well known for organising comps and judging exams and other related events....so deserve to be given a chance if you've got the beer to spare.

I did nearly add the ACB competition to the list but I figured it being early September it just about counted as a separate time window. Already got my entry in for that one. wink...

I dont see anywhere where it indicates that an individual cannot win the Best of Show or Best Brewer prize. There is no way that judges would remotely know whether an entry was from a club/non-club member and believe me, there is simply not enough time/resources at such events to split the beers based on this definition.

The Club aspect is simply just a name to promote the £250 sponsored prize for the best club.

...and anyway....you could enter your club simply as "Stu's Brew Crew" or maybe "The Homebrewforum Conglomerate" or perhaps "Town/Village Name Brewing Club"....the organisers would never know...there isn't a formal directory of brewing clubs for them to check against. The fact that your club has a membership of 1 (maybe 2 if you include the dog/cat) would be unknown.

Not being a club member shouldn't be a barrier to entering.

All fair points about the club aspect - I guess I'm just a bit burned from last year's experience and approaching it with a negative mindset.

If both cats sign up then I could have 3 members by the end of the day! :laugh8:

All fair points about the club aspect - I guess I'm just a bit burned from last year's experience and approaching it with a negative mindset.
..and no one can blame you for that.

I think everyone said (not just here but elsewhere) that the comp organisation needed separating from the "event" organisation....so that appears to have been done so...fingers crossed.

Without doubt, with Ken heading up the judging this will be a totally different beast this year I'm sure of that.

But, as others have said, we are blessed with a number of other competitions at the same time so will happily let this one slide by because of the poor handling of it last year. Sure, the train strikes dealt a massive blow to the comp last year, but the lack of comms to the problem (I think that would have got a lot of understanding from the community with regards to the scoresheets), and then even longer delays in getting rosettes out has really tarnished the comp part of the event.

I will be supporting Brewcon itself though and will be at the event and looking forward to the talks + exhibitors.. already have tickets for that.

If at the time, I have spare beer, and there are still slots, then I might send in one, but this is currently a no from me.

I've finally committed to throwing three beers at this. One might be a bit young as it only got bottled a couple of hours ago and needs to carb up.

Latest posts

Back