Glasses , snobs or owt ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I quote the Superintendent of Police in charge of a party of Lincolnshire Policemen visiting Cologne as guests of the Cologne Police ...

"If I don't see the barmaid clear away that glass on the table, I will arrest you myself!"

That was in the Autumn of 1964 and when my Mam died in 2011 there were still four of them in her display cabinet!

Never in the UK had a pub served drinks in such lovely glasses as those we were seeing in Germany!

In the early 60's if you wanted to drink your beer from a decent glass or tankard in your local pub you had to supply your own; and every pub out in the country had a line of nails above the bar on which they hung "your" tankard of choice!

Happy Days! athumb..

Some dude at work got so enraged by my incessant tea-guzzling that he made me a flower-vase full, his reasoning being that it would last for ages. It did... and tasted exactly the same.
I used to work in the motor-trade, and drank a LOT of tea! I was well known for it.
One day the Apprentice started appearing with mugs of tea without being asked! they kept coming and I kept drinking them. I knew something was up as it was unusual behaviour, and the MOT station owner told me the apprentice had decided to "Tea me out!" The owner had told the apprentice that that was a battle he wouldn't win! And he duely didn't! By mid afternoon he'd given up and spent the rest of the day wandering round with a look of disbelief on his face!

I've been meaning to get something like this for lagers as well. I think the tall style works well when you've got a lot of carbonation:

View attachment 15015
I've also got a cupboard full of about a squillion half-pint glasses from beer festivals going back to the early 90s!

@foxbat are these ones from JL. I got something v similar from there on my wedding list (albeit 15 years ago) and the '****' has fallen out of all but one of them. They are quite heavy glasses and it doesn't half give you a fright when your pint drains rapidly right in front of your eyes....

Oooh look! A 650ml bottle of Robust Porter poured into a 750ml glass! athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

Robust Porter.jpg

SWMBO has been told to not touch it 'cos if she breaks it I'll buy TWO replacements! :laugh8:

Not the most severe of punishments to anyone born out of Scotland but to SWMBO it's similar to being flayed with a stick of wet celery! (Which I haven't threatened on the basis that she might grow to like it!) clapa clapa

Oooh look! A 650ml bottle of Robust Porter poured into a 750ml glass! athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

View attachment 15050

SWMBO has been told to not touch it 'cos if she breaks it I'll buy TWO replacements! :laugh8:

Not the most severe of punishments to anyone born out of Scotland but to SWMBO it's similar to being flayed with a stick of wet celery! (Which I haven't threatened on the basis that she might grow to like it!) clapa clapa

Porter at 4pm on a Monday is a bit punchy!

Having just opened a micro pub I must admit I had no idea that glasses made such a difference. I have tulips and tankards and a few times all the tulips are either dirty or are still warm from the glass washer and I have asked if a tankard is OK 9 times out of 10 the customer is fine with it or even prefers it, a few people asked not to but accepted it over a warm glass but 1 person preferred a warm glass. To avoid this in future I was going to order some more tulips but if anyone can suggest what would make a better 3rd option can you suggest from this link or if you can find a better supplier even better

Got to love a Slipper glass except they jam together too easy for most publican’s liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I quote the Superintendent of Police in charge of a party of Lincolnshire Policemen visiting Cologne as guests of the Cologne Police ...

"If I don't see the barmaid clear away that glass on the table, I will arrest you myself!"

That was in the Autumn of 1964 and when my Mam died in 2011 there were still four of them in her display cabinet!

Never in the UK had a pub served drinks in such lovely glasses as those we were seeing in Germany!

In the early 60's if you wanted to drink your beer from a decent glass or tankard in your local pub you had to supply your own; and every pub out in the country had a line of nails above the bar on which they hung "your" tankard of choice!

Happy Days! athumb..

My first ever proper job was as a bar man in a country pub, and we did indeed have a bunch of customer's own tankards hanging from a bunch of hooks behind the bar down the bar end. Not many mind, only about 3, everybody else was happy with the glasses we provided.

The landlord in our favourite pub here actually once went into the back area and fetched me out a Krug (I didn't know they were called this though) when my wife mentioned I had trouble with nonics and shakers (thanks to my, uhm, shakers... lol). Nobody liked Krugs any more, so he'd packed them up and put them away. A sad day when Marstons sold that pub out from under him to a developer that turned it into a day nursery......... It was a proper oldie pub ffs... No kitchen though, not even a card machine (because it didn't serve food, so Marstons wouldn't let him install one....), so as far as Marstons were concerned it had to go.

In many cases, yes - the traditional Ale glass is designed to produce a good head with low carbonation, a Pilsner glass to do the opposite, Saison is often drunk with a glass similar to a red wine glass, but with a slight necking to promote head, whilst still leaving an empty space at the top to concentrate aroma.

I have my favourite glasses (or mugs, or steins,) for my favourite beers, but I recommend you experiment a little to find what you like the best with your favourite.

I went to my local pub a while back and ordered a pint of something or other from one of our nearby microbreweries. They insisted I had it in one of those ridiculous tulip glasses. First off I was surprised a pint would actually fit and then was surprised how nice it was to drink out of. Actually enhanced the beer.
Fortunately it was a good brew - some of their beer is total s**t.

The "tulip glass" is quite appropriate for certain beers, it helps to promote a nice head and enhances aroma.

I think that many drinks are better if you make them an "experience" so that you remember the situation in which you tasted it for the first time! However, the most expensive coffee in the world is Kopi Luwak Coffee ... athumb..

... and if they served it in gold cups that you were allowed to take home. I think I would still give it a miss! :laugh8:

I've got this lot for drinking beer.

My favourite one is the Longhorn IPA glass. It weighs a tonne though, even when it's empty.

For beers in smaller can and 330ml bottles I prefer to use the Stori Beers glass (the one I've served the Moor Beer Stout in).

Whether or not the beers are better in the glasses is debateable...but they look cool.

Attachments

• 20161101_200425.jpg
    20161101_200425.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 20161113_180626.jpg
    20161113_180626.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 102
  • 20180406_190919.jpg
    20180406_190919.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 100
  • aviary-image-1513280308301.jpeg
    aviary-image-1513280308301.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 89
  • aviary-image-1513713030644.jpeg
    aviary-image-1513713030644.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 99
  • aviary-image-1516558826194.jpeg
    aviary-image-1516558826194.jpeg
    17.9 KB · Views: 97
  • aviary-image-1527521456129.jpeg
    aviary-image-1527521456129.jpeg
    26.6 KB · Views: 105
View attachment 16941 Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I saved these beauties from the charity shop when I was at my parents’ this morning

It's one I haven't seen before but enjoyed reading through. Not sure I notice a difference in taste from different glasses but like to serve in an appropriate one just for a sense of occasion.

Actually I use my Granddads vintage Pint Beer Glass, got to be 66 years old or more. Note Crown and G.R (George Regina?) but what is the 478 number??
Currently filled with a Wilko Velvet Stout. He would be so proud! clapa
View attachment 16942

I expect George would have been a king rather than a queen. I suspect that Regina is a Latin amalgamation of Rex (meaning king) and vagina (meaning what it still does, in a clinical sense).

Latest posts

Back