Secret Santa Reviews 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SS #2 from the amazingly generous Santa who sent me three beers in one parcel (thanks so much!)

5.4% Pilsner, and very nice too! Lubricated my braincells nicely while I was looking at the crossword.
Good clarity, very refreshing on the palette and the perfect carbonation for me.
I really enjoyed this - it's a darn good beer and a corny of this wouldn't last long around here ;-)

PS: The most interesting thing for me about this beer is that I get the same slightly 'dry' (or is it bitter?) afternote that I get with my own lagers, but I don't get in commercial ones. This is NOT a problem at all: other people don't seem to notice it; and I myself can't really put my finger on it - but I can't tell you how much of a relief it is to know it's not just something unique in my process :-)

Screenshot 2022-12-26 at 17.01.47.png

Pours a hazy mid gold colour but no head developed.

Aromas are predominantly of fruity (stone fruit - peach, and citrus notes) esters, low bready malty and some resinous hop

The initial bitterness is quite aggressive in its presentation....perhaps bordering on what you might expect with an American IPA. Flavours are similar to the aromas but this time with the resinous hop noted being more prominent in the mix. As I consumed more my taste buds got acclimatised to the bitterness allowing me to appreciate the fruit and malt flavours a little more. The finish sees the bitterness linger (in a pleasant way) and is pretty dry.

Carbonation levels are high (appropriate) which aid drinkability.

Its nice to have an APA that isn't a "me too" fruit bomb style of beer but for me this starts blurring the lines between an APA and an American IPA. Nice beer though in its own right....thank you Santa.

Attachments

• apa.JPG
    apa.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 0
  • apab.JPG
    apab.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
This is the only Secret Santa I received undamaged, but it’s an absolute cracker. Labelled only as 6.2% so I have no idea what style it is. I would call it an amber ale and it’s very “christmassy”. I hit the jackpot with this one, malty caramel and toffee then nicely warming. Slightly sweet with a lovely carbonation.

Cheers to you Santa, thanks for the smashing beer!

3F69C888-DBF8-4A24-9F31-9FBD32F64180.jpeg

Secret Santa number 2.
A 5.2% Pale Ale.
Appearance is much darker than expected and slightly hazy, head dissipated quite quickly.
Hops and caramel notes come through well. Quite a refreshing bitterness when tasted with expected body for the style.
Overall, a very nice beer.
Thank you santa.
20221226_174302.jpg

I’ll be the first then as both mine have been very well received. I forgot to put what I call it. That’s a Winter Warmer but forgot, it started off as the basis of a Greg Hughes Recipe but evolved as a user upper for a few items. As to style if I look at Brewfather it has the closest as Biere Da Garde (never had one but it’s nothing like that).
Here we go with the recipe. Time to guess who got it.

8E40B56A-9234-4C2C-B428-535956CFC07E.jpeg

I’m having my first SS beer tonight, a delicious oatmeal stout coming in at 4.8% ABV.
Pours with a long lasting tan head, the aroma is dark chocolate and roasty malts. The flavour follows suit with the rich creamy mouthfeel you would expect from the style.
It’s a delicious pint, thank you Santa!
D311277C-8993-4BA1-887B-E70A54F1ACE2.jpeg

I'll break cover then, one of my deliveries didn't make it but I will send another and I'll send something different.

@Oneflewover got my Porter and American Brown Ale, glad you liked the Porter, I think it's pretty good. The ABA, I thought you were generous, not sure about it...as you say not much hoppiness, I'd like to blame the williamette, but I think it's my brewing. 🤣

I’m having my first SS beer tonight, a delicious oatmeal stout coming in at 4.8% ABV.
Pours with a long lasting tan head, the aroma is dark chocolate and roasty malts. The flavour follows suit with the rich creamy mouthfeel you would expect from the style.
It’s a delicious pint, thank you Santa!
View attachment 79893
Thank you to both of my SS recipients for a lovely review ,really chuffed that you enjoyed them, and thank you Alastair for organising this ,acheers.

Here is my second and sadly last Secret Santa beer a 5.2 % sloe stout!
Being a very reserved brewer I have only ever added orange and lime peel to my brews. However this has changed my mind and encouraged me to be more adventurous.
Opened with a slight hiss but poured a lovely pint with a tan frothy head. Complex flavours initially chocolate and coffee finishing in what I can only describe as a intense plum flavour which I’m assuming comes from the sloes. A well brewed beer and so different for me. Thank you Santa

Attachments

• E32C6952-5987-4231-9CC8-3DF9DC88E8C6.jpeg
    E32C6952-5987-4231-9CC8-3DF9DC88E8C6.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
6.4% Plum Sour

Nice big pffft on opening.

Lovely fluffy head. Tiny bubbles. Some haze and an orange hue.

An interesting aroma that I can't place. Musty, but not in a bad way, more a description way. Some friut.

Taste is sharp. The first mouthful is, not surprisingly, a little sour.... but also sweet.

I've had the odd sour before I'm not an expert on the style, but this is very nice, very balanced.

Very drinkable. For me personally, I think I'd enjoy this out in a beer garden in the middle of summer, but definitely a lovely brew.

I'd be a bit scared to brew this style, this is a great drink from a talented brewer. Thank you for sharing.

20221226_191624.jpg

it’s got such a familiar flavour but for the life of me I haven’t got a clue as to what it is! Maybe plums or cherries ???
After seeing the recipe what could it be?

Also just read my notes and it stalled at 1.023 so I chucked a packet of Verdant that was surplus to requirements, to get it going again, all in all it was a weird brew.

Latest posts

Back