Secret Santa Reviews 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Secret Santa beer number 2, a golden ale.

Poured clear with a frothy head which subsided.

Aroma is light sweet maltiness and citrussy fruitiness.

Flavour wise, more citrussy fruitiness. Orange and grapefruit. Firm bitterness leads to a long, dry finish.

Another really well-made beer. Thanks, Santa.

Apologies for the awful photo.

1000056712.jpg

The bonus beer, a dubbel.

Not quite clear but bottle conditioned so perhaps a pouring fault, a dark copper/light brown. Fantastic head. Plenty of lacing left on the

Aroma is spice (pepper and clove) banana, a touch of alcohol.

On the tongue is more banana, burnt sugar and some creaminess. The spritzy carbonation and firm level of bitterness both work through to cut through and dry the pallate.

Another great beer.

Last edited:
My first secret Santa, Milk Stout isn’t really my thing but I thoroughly enjoyed this, not having a Milk Stout before I wasn’t sure what to expect but it had a very nice coffee bitterness that counter acted any sweetness that made it an easy drink to have. I might have go a brewing one in the future. Thanks for sharing.

IMG_3487.jpeg

The head was more a coffee colour than the image depicts.

Just enjoyed my first, a cracking Oatmeal Stout. I tend not to drink too much stout but that could be because I've never made one as enjoyable as this!
Not much of a pop on opening the bottle, but poured well and was carbonated to my taste!
A very dark brown beer, close to black with a creamy tan head, lovely silky mouthfeel, oatmeal/malty flavours and an almost chocolate like bitterness, with a very slight roasted/coffee coming in at the end.

Does life get better than this??

Merry Christmas one and all, my next one arrived in need of conditioning, so I'm planing to leave it to NYE.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20231226_170118.jpg
    IMG_20231226_170118.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 0
My second beer from Santa. It's a Sorachi Saison
IMG_20231226_200030077.jpg

There was a satisfying hiss when I opened the bottle. Carbonation is perfect and the head is lasting well.
I'm afraid the beer is very murky, no clarity at all, or is it meant to be hazy?

I'm sure it's a great beer, but confirms what I said to my wife when I opened the package, "Sorachi is one of the few hops that I don't like".

Last up was the 8.7% Belgian Red which had a beautiful Amber color and distinctive toffee/treacle notes which belied how strong it was Antilles I got about half way down the glass and it started catching up with me 🤣
But it remained pleasant all the way to the bottom and I rarely go for stronger beers these days, so it was a pleasant surprise.
I just had my Belgian Red and unfortunately I think mine was oxidised. First swig was incredibly bitter, second swig was definite sherry, third swig I decided I couldn’t drink anymore. It’s a shame, and just one of those things, because it looks like you enjoyed yours.
IMG_6753.jpeg

I just had my Belgian Red and unfortunately I think mine was oxidised. First swig was incredibly bitter, second swig was definite sherry, third swig I decided I couldn’t drink anymore. It’s a shame, and just one of those things, because it looks like you enjoyed yours.
View attachment 93901
Wow, that's the polar opposite of mine, it retained a sweetness and toffee notes until the end!

1st of my ss beers 🍻 was a delightful Saison , light Fluffy head lasting to the last sip, clean and perfectly dry-ish balanced with the taste of the malts and almost fruit/citrus notes comming from what i presume is a traditional Saison Yeast. Cracking pint

Attachments

• image000000.jpg
    image000000.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 0
Unfortunately due to technical issues and the fact that it was swiftly consumed no pic. Of pint.(sorry)
Festive stout 7.3 tight cappuccino head,full body with a great mouthfeel, malty backbone ,bitterness balanced with a rich chocolaty sweetness. They say "crack" is moreish but this WOW Best stout I've ever had by far.
i would very much appreciated some information regarding recipe.
Thank you

Attachments

• 20231227_093121.jpg
    20231227_093121.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back