Secret Santa Reviews 2023

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know of one beer that’s still in transit or lost, there may be others but hopefully not. I’ll activate an elf if there’s still no show at the end of the week.

I’ve been entertaining people for the last 3 evenings, so I’m very much looking forward to not cooking tonight and enjoying my 2 beers.

Tried beer number two last night. Winter spiced heavy and it was (winter spiced). The aroma and initial taste was cinnamon. The after flavour/senstation was a chilli like warmth which I guessing was either chilli or ginger. The missus reckoned it smelled like mulled wine so definitely seasonal.

It would be an ideal brew to have by the fireside after being out in the cold.

Cheers secret Santa :D

IMG_6104.jpg

IMG20231227185341.jpg

After 3 days driving up and down the country to visit family I can finally sit and enjoy my Secret Santa beers.

First up, a Chocolate Milk Stout.

Beer poured deep black with a fairly small tan head, suggesting a low carbonation level which isn't unusual for the style.

Definite chocolate notes on the aroma, with maybe a little coffee too. Taste is chocolate and coffee, with a hint of dried fruits possibly from a dark crystal malt.

The 40 IBUs of bitterness do a great job of cutting through the sweetness, making it very drinkable.

Not sure whether this actually has chocolate in it or uses a healthy dose of chocolate malt. Either way it's a fantastic and very well brewed beer - thanks for sharing! acheers.

Secret Santa beer No. 1 for me, an ESB weighing in at 5.5% ABV.
Nice hiss on opening, lovely pour. Dark amber colour, good clarity and a long lived tight head lasted the whole pint (I did drink it rather quickly).
The aroma is rich toasty malt with caramel and very little hop character.
Flavour follows, rich caramel malts up first, then as it warmed up dark chocolate roast come through. Great body and mouthfeel and a lovely dry finish all balanced with a moderate to high bitterness.
It’s a great beer which has been well made. Malt forward and perfectly balanced bitterness, right in my wheel house. Cheers Santa No. 1.

IMG_2728.jpeg

First of my 2 Secret Santa's, a Single Hop APA called Omni Denali, coming in at 5.3%.

Small hiss on opening and poured a lovely dark golden colour with a good white head. I'm not getting much on the aroma other than malt, although my sense of smell isn't the best, particularly following a bit of flu two weeks ago.

Taste is quite bitter with a piney taste, slight bit of citrus and quite a dry finish. This APA reminds me of a West Coast IPA I had a couple of weeks ago - it must be quite close to the style. This is going down very easily and another would have been more than welcome!

Thank you Santa, this is a cracking big, bold APA. Well done.

20231227_190638.jpg

What a nice brew an Imperial stout just nice at 8.2% the head is a more tan than on the photo nice carbonation I get chocolate notes all in all a fine brew Santa you should be very pleased with this smasher cheers
20231227_192243.jpg

PS Bottle conditioning of high ABV beers is not an easy thing to get right this one is spot on

Last edited:
The Milk Stout had by @The-Engineer-That-Brews and @Stu's Brews was mine.

Glad you both enjoyed it and very happy with the feedback.

It was flavoured with a touch of vanilla and "dry nibbed" with cacao nibs for a week before bottling.

Grain bill included Imperial Malt (which includes plums in it's flavour profile) Coffee Malt, 2 types of Chocolate, and Roast Barley, so your palates are spot on.

Didn't see that on my phone Lol

Interested in who looks at the more scientific aspects of brewing.

A mate of mine talks of IBUs instead of Gramms in his brewing vids
That's because the AA% varies from one batch of hops to the next, so to get a given IBU you often can't just use the grammes in the recipe.

IMG20231227195918.jpg

Time for beer number 2 and it's a big one! 9.8% Triple Bock.

Dark brown to black in colour with a tight tan head.

Aroma of caramel, dried fruit and plums but it's on tasting that things really get going. Big fruity notes of plum, fig and raisin, toffee sweetness and a background biscuit maltiness.

There's a touch of alcohol warmth to let you know it's a high ABV beer but it's well balanced by the full bodied sweetness.

Hats off to whoever brewed this. It's an exceptional beer that I am going to thoroughly enjoy sipping on steadily whilst the room slowly goes fuzzy :laugh8:

Back