Show us your beer.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Call that cloudy? - you can nearly see the other side of the glass!
But, but, but, that's the cloudiest beer I've made! I don't think I can make on cloudier! Heck, my wheat beer was tons clearer.... lol

Full disclosure though, the last few haven't tasted quite so good. They seem to have developed a strange off flavour a bit like lubricating oil.... It's only very very slight, but it's there. Nothing else has had that flavour, or has that flavour, that I've brewed fortunately, and mixed with my fuggles smash the flavour disappears and it actually tastes delicious. Need to try the Endeavour hops either solo, or with a hop other than Magnum, see if it's that combination where the problem is.. Alternatively, could be that this was the one that took it's sweet time cooling the wort... lol

Have you tried adding edible glitter? ;)

The last time we had that stuff in the house, my wife kept covering her hands with it, then slapping her hands on me so it left a glittery handprint.... I'll leave it to your imagination where her main target was........ :oops:

IMG_2383.JPG

My Calypso Pale Ale.

Session ale me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got tempted to test a Highland Heavy even though it is a couple of days off minimum conditioning. It smells of bananas - i lost control of fermentation temperature but as long as you dont sniff it first its passable for a third brew. Lovely and clear though and nicely carbed. And im enjoying the pint so onwards and upwards - lots of grains and dmes to try a few different GW extract versions over long weekend.

Attachments

• 20180330_000643.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 106
not meaning to spark controversy here..

if it pours without an appreciable head then so be it? why would you go to the effort of using a syringe to pump a head onto it.

i know head keeps o2 out, but at the rate i tend to drink my pints its never a huge issue til the end. im drinking a hammer of thor (bulldog) lager atm with little head. i wouldnt risk reducing the carbonation for the sake of a finger of foam.

granted there are issues with my brews bigger than head retention. just cant understand why you would mechanically produce head for the sake of head.

not meaning to spark controversy here..

if it pours without an appreciable head then so be it? why would you go to the effort of using a syringe to pump a head onto it.

i know head keeps o2 out, but at the rate i tend to drink my pints its never a huge issue til the end. im drinking a hammer of thor (bulldog) lager atm with little head. i wouldnt risk reducing the carbonation for the sake of a finger of foam.

granted there are issues with my brews bigger than head retention. just cant understand why you would mechanically produce head for the sake of head.

Agree or disagree, I find that a head can change the perceived flavour, and texture, of the beer you are drinking. The Watch is a perfect example, as drunk without the head it just tastes flat, give it a pump though and it becomes really creamy. The same reason as Guinness (and Caffreys) is supposed to be poured the way it is, promoting a smooth creamy drink.

I also tend to find that the foam of the head often tastes slightly more bitter, so when you drink the beer through it you again get a different experience than just drinking the beer.

I was born, and raised, in the Midlands though, and we like a head on our beer.

There's also the aesthetics, much like clarity. A beer with a decent head on it just looks nicer. Couple of pics of my Gloden Glow to illustrate:-

Barely any head on it:-

glodenglowpint.jpg

With a nice head on it:-

GlodenGlowPint3.jpg

I didn't cheat on this one though, just poured it with a little less care.

If you have enough carbonation, you don't need tricks to get a head to form anyway, pouring will do it.

I’m aware it looks like I couldn’t find a toilet, but this is a sample of my golden ale straight from the FV!
Same beer 3 weeks later. Not fully conditioned but very promising. I’ll put them in the shed tomorrow in an attempt to keep it “out of sight out of mind”.

Attachments

• 31FBA3F8-5531-4D02-B210-61D05DE51B7A.jpeg
    31FBA3F8-5531-4D02-B210-61D05DE51B7A.jpeg
    41.5 KB · Views: 121
Cool glass :smile6:
Thanks. Treated myself when I was at Disneyland Paris last week. “But you have loads of beer glasses” said Mrs Dundee. “Yes, but I don’t have one with a handle! British and German Ales taste better from a glass with a handle”.

It wasn’t cheap (€16) but the quality is superb. Very heavy and the base especially looks very well crafted.

Last edited:
Back